HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
I haven't found it here Olli. And at the start of this next month I am starting my build on one of these. Actually make that 4 of these in all since I am changing out my existing fleet using this mod. I will post up the results not only here but on the Vtail thread. If needed I can build a few xtras for other members as needed and will sell them at cost at the same time. IT seems once the effort is expended to set this up the remaining work is quite simple and only takes a small amount of time.
Can you post up how to set up the HH when you have time?
And in light of the problems still remaining a simplistic usb methodology might be needed. Your description of the changes in the VCCI0 pin need to be more specific for us simple guys!
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:39 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Demonstrating the Claims II

just quickly two flight videos with the HH version of the gyromixer... no drift (well very minor drift), no bouncing, no break-out during full pitch...

unfortunately I still couldn't figure out of how to embeed videos here, hence again just links to the videos, sorry

http://www.olliw.eu/2011/ga250-fpkoa...23062011video1
http://www.olliw.eu/2011/ga250-fpkoa...23062011video2

(or for download http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/coax-gyr...-110623-wp.flv, http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/coax-gyr...-110623-wp.flv)
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Last edited by OlliW; Jun 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
just quickly two flight videos with the HH version of the gyromixer... no drift (well very minor drift), no bouncing, no break-out during full pitch...

unfortunately I still couldn't figure out of how to embeed videos here, hence again just links to the videos, sorry

http://www.olliw.eu/2011/ga250-fpkoa...23062011video1
http://www.olliw.eu/2011/ga250-fpkoa...23062011video2

(or for download http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/coax-gyr...-110623-wp.flv, http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/coax-gyr...-110623-wp.flv)
About the only thing that this forum seems to take are Youtube vids and one or two others. Aha! I spotted a blade strike! lol
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
I just spent quite a bit of time conversing back and forth with OlliW. We have reached an agreement since one of the boards to do the conversion is not available in the U.S. to have him program a few of them for me and send them over the pond, including one for E2. So I have some testing to do when they show up. For those following this kind of tech I am jacked! I am installing one of them in my fbl vtail brushless coax dual swash sk-360 version along with my two others. Then I am installing one in my 450 vtail brushless dual swash fbl custom build. So next month is going to be quite busy. I may be installing one also in one of E2's helis while I am at it if I can get my hands on the one he wants to play with in time. (hint, hint).

And (For the mods who seem to think he is promoting/selling something)
My sincere thanks to Olli for donating the time and effort in helping another enthusiast in building and programming these for me!
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:07 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Hey LMH

any guess what the photos below could show?

Olli
Old Jul 02, 2011, 12:14 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Hey Guys,

for LMH's mod I've ordered a Sparkfun BOB USB-TTL-Adapter, since, as I indicated in the above, I thought this might be the better choice. Though it is a bit bigger than the other Sparkfun-Board, it is indeed more convenient since it allows access to many more pins, and hence allowed to do the modifications mentioned in the above with much less involved soldering work.

However, although it's working, using the USB power supply I found to not work really reliably - all after all I didn't liked it. Hence, I decided to change things and add an extra power supply for powering the device to be programmed. Fortunately, since both the Robbe Box and the GA250 do come with their build-in voltage regulators, any power supply which provides 5V or more does the job... hence I ended up with using 4 mignon rechargables (see figure in the previous post). I don't know why I was "resisting" to do that before; it makes things so much easier. First, one now could use the cheaper and more compact Sparkfun USB-TTL Adapter without ANY changes (use the 3.3V version). Second, the soldering work to be done is most simple. And third, it works as one expects it to work...

Cheers,
Olli
Last edited by OlliW; Jul 02, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:54 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
Hey LMH

any guess what the photos below could show?

Olli
Rats, I have no idea. lol
And now I am wiping all the drool off my chin.
I ended up jumping around my board on one of my TXs and using the batteries directly to the charge socket as a power lead to run my systems when I needed the current to check escs, servos, rx's and whatnot.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:23 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Hey LMH

some more parts arrived... (unfortunately not yet all)... and I modded the first GA250 for you... have a look

I guess I will need a bit of time for all 5... the one took me a full evening... hopefully I will become faster

Olli
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Olli, I haven't had a smile on my face all week. Just one disaster after another one. You just put a huge grin on my mug.
Oh my gosh that is beeeeeuuuuuu ti fuuuulllll.
thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:58 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Hey LMH,

I have modded now two further GA250, the remaining two have not yet arrived... so, I'll have to wait for them...
Anyhow, I would have three questions to you

1) The cable lengths as shown in the photo are OK for you? For the remaining two GA250 I could easily do them according to your wishes. In particular, I could imagine that for some cases one might wish to have longer cables to the ESCs/Motors. Tell me.

2) Few posts above I have shown you the modding of the USB-2-TTL Adapter, and displayed it with a mignon battery pack. However, I came now to the conclusion that it would probably be much more convenient to just have a simple two-pin connector, such that one can connect directly to the balancer port of a 2S lipo (or in fact any balancer port with >2S). I assume that lipo packs with 2S or larger are readily, and in fact more readily, available to any rc heli person... Would you be happy with that, or would you prefer to have the mignon pack as power source?

3) The software and hardware is not yet such as to support a lipo saver function. However, this can be implemented, and although I do not have a plan for when or how fast I would do that I foresee that I would certainly implement that at some point. I have not yet made such a mod before, and this time would hence be my first, but I'd like to try it. Hence, the question would be, would you like to have one or two GA250 modded such as to provide the hardware for a lipo saver. There would be three further cables coming out, which, at the moment would however have no function... it's just that you would have the hardware prepared for that.

Please tell,
Olli
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Olli, you are awesome my friend! The wires are perfect. Yes I have plenty of 2s batts. And wow, a battery saver function, next thing you know it will be running lights. Which is part of one of my battery saver controls on another dedicated system.
Yes, go ahead and do it. I can see it having more than one purpose later for sure. It is up to you as to how advanced you want to make these. I would get into more detail but I just pulled an all nighter so I haven't been to bed for two days. I finished up a very complex build. I am bushed.
Randy
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:35 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
Quote:
And wow, a battery saver function, next thing you know it will be running lights.
LOL ... you know, to have it all in one was exactly the idea of a project of mine I called 4-1+2in1 (4in1 functions - ESC + Liposaver + Lightcontroller)... and it worked nicely, see here http://www.olliw.eu/2009/4m1p2in1/. Complete coax electronics including liposaver and 8-channel light controller (I just used 3) in only one uC...

The 4-1+2in1 project was in fact the precessor of the coax gyro mixer project. However, I realized that hardware-wise it is too complicated in the sense that you have to build your own hardware, which is fun but not something for everybody... hence I "invented" the coax gyro mixer project since here the hardware is provided naturally, i.e, reused with minor and simple efforts. I thought that this might make it more attractive, but so far this didn't turned out to be the case

I certainly thought about a light controller option, but the hardware of the GA250 as it is does not really allow for that.

Have fun,
Olli
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Thanks Olli, yeah I agree, there is a point where you can have too many things going on for the average hobbyist. To this date no one has replicated even one of my dual swash builds. And in my mind they are simple to do with basic tinkering and assembly skills. So having an advanced technical controller is daunting to most guys. Not me. I spent time integrating the skookum 360 unit into my Cx coax fbl build, programming SK 720s and playing with the flymentor on 6s modded 450s. This coax stuff is easy.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:15 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,982 Posts
so, I modded a GA250 to provide a liposaver function... see below... I am not sure though I am going to do this a second time (there is one tricky soldering step)

LMH: unfortunately I will not be able to work on this over weekend, but I will finish this job for sure next week and send it out latest by the end of next week...

cheers
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quote:
so, I modded a GA250 to provide a liposaver function... see below... I am not sure though I am going to do this a second time (there is one tricky soldering step)

LMH: unfortunately I will not be able to work on this over weekend, but I will finish this job for sure next week and send it out latest by the end of next week...

cheers
Thanks Olli!. No big deal. I just appreciate the effort. And if it is getting difficult I can live without the extra leads. I will use this one you made for one of E2's projects since I can mod my Esc's for soft cutoff and seldom use the liposaver doing the 3s mod. In fact most the time I come down after 14 to 15 minute flights I still have a fairly strong battery charge. If it is getting touchy on your end and you are uncomfortable doing more just stop now and call it a day.
Randy
Closed Thread