HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:58 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Upon evaluation of my plane, i believe i have found the problem...The controls STICK!! when using up/down elevator it will stick at about 5 degrees which ever i last input. SO I'm off to local hardware store to find a dry lubricant. Graphite maybe? Any suggestions?

I also played with the different batteries...AGAIN, I believe the 1.6 gives the CG around 76mm and the battery weighs 120 grams. I weighed the 2.2 its 175g CG ~ 70mm. SO it sounds like a 1.8 would bring the CG to a good balance between the too. I'll have to buy one.

in the meantime..think graphite will work to LUBE the sleeves?
Sproket13 is offline Find More Posts by Sproket13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:04 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket13 View Post
Upon evaluation of my plane, i believe i have found the problem...The controls STICK!! when using up/down elevator it will stick at about 5 degrees which ever i last input. SO I'm off to local hardware store to find a dry lubricant. Graphite maybe? Any suggestions?

I also played with the different batteries...AGAIN, I believe the 1.6 gives the CG around 76mm and the battery weighs 120 grams. I weighed the 2.2 its 175g CG ~ 70mm. SO it sounds like a 1.8 would bring the CG to a good balance between the too. I'll have to buy one.

On my first unit , the connecting rods were rusted. I replaced them with CF rod.

Rather than graphite, you might try a teflon-based lube. They are available as spray, or not spray. In any event, remove the rods from the guides and use some very fine steel wool to clean them up, unless you want the CF route.

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
I'm going to actually try and pick up a Chatillion gauge..this thing feels like it needs ALMOST a couple ounces to move it. those servos ARE being pushed hard! I wasnt sure if I wanted to go a oil/water based lube...Ill check out Triflow or something tho...Thanks!
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:19 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to actually try and pick up a Chatillion gauge..this thing feels like it needs ALMOST a couple ounces to move it. those servos ARE being pushed hard! I wasnt sure if I wanted to go a oil/water based lube...Ill check out Triflow or something tho...Thanks!
Hey Sprok,
If you have a dig around on this thread you will see waaaay back on about page 30 (guessing) EastCoast had the same issue of a rather problematic sticky rod
He took them out and sanded them down with some fine paper to just removed the black coating. Seemed to work out well for him.
I'm sure he will chime in shortly.

I might go check mine tonight....
Nobody wants an overworked servo.
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Reading that post back... I'm not condoning stripping off any protective coating that the gurus at HH might have lovingly applied for us.
Sanding it off might make another problem once corrosion sets in down the line...?
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:25 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
whatever it is, it's significant... i can pull my stock battery all the way out (fwd) of the compartment and still get more than 70mm.
don't let me think that they are getting more motor than i got!
Now I'm curious about how many people have the 77mm COG with the stock setup and the battery fully installed. My current CG doesn't count, since I installed an airspeed pitot tube on the tail before I measured it. But it's far enough back now that I bet it was at 77mm with the battery fully installed.

So far, with the stock setup and battery fully installed (all the way back), I have:

70mm CG: Donsinger? Tlar633
>= 77mm CG: Eastcoast78, Me? Pretendpilot?
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:40 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

That would definitely cause control problems if they are not returning to center. Mine are also very sticky, but they return to center. I am disappointed in those pushrods and will replace with some proper pushrods when time permits.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:58 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Hey Sprok,
If you have a dig around on this thread you will see waaaay back on about page 30 (guessing) EastCoast had the same issue of a rather problematic sticky rod
He took them out and sanded them down with some fine paper to just removed the black coating. Seemed to work out well for him.
I'm sure he will chime in shortly.

I might go check mine tonight....
Nobody wants an overworked servo.

thats why I looked in the first place, I've read almost every page of this! So i bought graphite as well as the liquid triflow...no pull gauge, wayyyy too pricey for this small bit of knowledge
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:08 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:

Yea that should, there was someone back alwhile ago how used Dry Graphite powder. It well not gum up over time with dirt/debris.
But as siggy was saying. i sanded them down. Hoefully the corsion well not set in. if so well i may have too get some .032 music wire and use some Quick connects and make up my own.

I also moved the Elev horn in closer too the Fuse.. i just didn't like the look of that BIG arc...The Radain's horn was the same though?

Heres some reading
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
Now I'm curious about how many people have the 77mm COG with the stock setup and the battery fully installed. My current CG doesn't count, since I installed an airspeed pitot tube on the tail before I measured it. But it's far enough back now that I bet it was at 77mm with the battery fully installed.

So far, with the stock setup and battery fully installed (all the way back), I have:

Ahhh If i try too balance my Pro on 70mm, my 1300mah is about 80Percent out of the hole. A few good Loops etc.. and i was afraid of the batt Poss popin out on my ESC/Canopy off/Missing CG all together. Thats why i went back to my Org 77mm.

There most be a few tail heavy Pro's. Remeber its a $200 foam Plane. geared towards the beginner.

If i spent a grand on a AreoWorks 100cc ARF. It would be a Different Story.

O before i forget. lol.
My AUW(with a TGY1300mah 150g battery) is not 34oz. Mine is 32oz...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
Quote:

Mine's at 77mm for most flying and 74mm for those really windy days.

I was just wondering were the people, that are adding weight to the tail of their plane, have put there Rx and what kind of Rx are they using? Is it in the radio bay on the under side of the fuse or up front under the canopy by the ESC? If one of you guys could post a photo or two of where every thing is to get a CG of 77mm it mite help solve the mystery.

Rick
hammer833 is online now Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:14 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
Mine's at 77mm for most flying and 74mm for those really windy days.

I was just wondering were the people, that are adding weight to the tail of their plane, have put there Rx and what kind of Rx are they using? Is it in the radio bay on the under side of the fuse or up front under the canopy by the ESC? If one of you guys could post a photo or two of where every thing is to get a CG of 77mm it mite help solve the mystery.

Rick
Do you know where your CG is with the battery pushed all the way into the hole?
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:28 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Ok...well after lubing up both rods with different lubricants. I realized the problem is the plastic sheathing. I removed the elevator as thats my problem child, and test fit a piece of hollow carbon, the inner hole looked too small..but to my surprise went in smoothly!! Boy what a difference!!! Unreal. I got suspect of debris snagging from cutting these plastic tubings, and checked the old ones. There was some pinching going on!! SO i took a razor and cleaned it up, there was a slight difference...but overall, I will be installing this carbon rod, its like BUTTA...BUTTA I SAY!
Last edited by Sproket13; Mar 03, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:27 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Good to hear,is it a hollow carbon tube? or a solid rod? Must be quite small to fit in the sheathing!!

How you planning on getting the Clevis on the CF rod/tube? the normal way?

Pictures are always great.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:40 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
I think you misunderstood me. I replaced the white outer sheathing with the hollow carbon rod. the carbon rod is the same size if not smaller than the white stock one. Slid right in, definitely was a big more rigid and did not want to stay bent in place. Nothin a lil glue can't cure...Now its super smooth, no problems. Eventually I'll do the rudder as well

Last edited by Sproket13; Mar 03, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:53 PM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
395 Posts
hardware layout for C/G

Quote:
Do you know where your CG is with the battery pushed all the way into the hole?
I have my ar7200 receiver velcroed to the bottom side of the canopy, the satellite receiver is velcroed to the side wall in the cockpit. Servo extensions are used to hook up the leads from the wing roots to the receiver up front. The battery rests in its little niche. ESC is factory placement. Using a short 1300 mah 3s battery. My CAM resides loosely above the esc and pushed back towards the battery. With C/G per manual at 70mm I have attached approx .5 to 1 oz of lead to the tail underside to get wings level on the C/G stand. Motor is the stock one with metal bellhousing. I am using a graupner folding prop that is probably heavier than the stock one.

Regards,

Mark
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
RCG Plus Member