SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Discussion
guillows lancer build

kids and I are putting this together. build probably already done online, but what the heck.

wing is a lot skinnier than i thought (2 inches perhaps) and might not have the lift for what I thought a 24" wing span has. also noted cg back on trailing edge of wing, then discovered stabilizer with airfoil - makes me think about how to cut that elevator in. parts in picture 15 grams. electronics and motor 70 grams.

2 x 6 gram servos (hxt 500)
8 gram motor az - 1404, 2290 kv
20 gram 360 mAh 2s battery
6 gram 6amp esc
10 gram receiver.

(10 grams solder, screws etc)

predicted total of 100 - 120 grams.

parts on order, since i think i need to lighten gear. 2 2.5 gm BA servos, 5 gram hex motor, 2 1s 240 mAh battery at 12 grams. for a total of 15 grams savings to yields

90 to 110 grams with 48 sq in wing to get 3oz/48 in sq = 9 oz / ft sq wing loading.

concern 1. 9 oz wing loading is high for a floater.

a) so i might leave out the motor, esc, and use even smaller battery to hand launch as glider. we'll keep an eye out for potential thermals (tarred parking lots, hot beach sand?) or even launch piggy back on a larger plane if the wings can take the stress.

b) also might make a second identical wing and make it a biplane for 4.5 oz wing loading.

concern 2. since stabilizer has ribs I wonder how much lift ill ruin by cutting in elevators. if so maybe I'll just move cg forward and go with flat stabilizer - especially if going with bi wing version.

If the fuselage top wasn't curved I might have been able to replace with straight ligther longerons - carbon fiber perhaps?
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
parts came in. 27 grams for electronics minus battery. went ahead and bought the vapor brick if needed to go lighter, but i dont think the vapor motor and gear box is appropriate (too slow) so may save this for a 17 inch tiger moth. thinking about adding an extra inch onto the wing.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
Nice posts and interesting project. I have read Lancer landing gear is fragile. Might want to reinforce. You could just use picnic plate foam for an add-on elevator. Scotch tape hinges work well. If you use 1mm carbon rod for control links to the tail you'll stay light.

Maybe you will get more responses if you jump over to "Parkflyer" thread. 100 grams is a little heavy for "Micro Ready to Fly" guys and a little on the light side for "Parkflyers". Kind of an interesting weight range.

Could be a sweet flyer.

Anyway just wanted to offer encouragement and I hope people chime in with more advice.
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
thats true 100 grams could be more of a park flyer. I've decided to go with the vapor components to acheive a total weigth of 30 grams or so for a wing loading of about 3 oz/sq ft. I want it to float and have been looking for a vapor brick project. With that said, the fuselage feels heavy now. there's a couple extra formers I might cut out. motor and gear box fitted into place. I'll have to compare the vapor and the ember 2 gear ratios to see if I need to switch for a shorter propeller.

I do like the idea of adding onto the rear of the stab for elevator, but the trailing edge is angled. Maybe I can extend it rearward first to get the entire length perpindicular then hinge the elevator.

I'll have to figure out how to move thread to park flyer, or just link to this one. Thanks for the tips.