SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:12 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,446 Posts
JHH Mirage Thread

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post this here for those who are interested...and hopefully keep myself motivated. This is a project that has been underway for quite a while (spans years ) and I am finally gearing back up to finish it. This is a Jet Hangar Hobbies Mirage that I started a while back. The fuselage belonged to my Uncle (he had an unbuilt kit)...the kit was given to him back when this was a new kit on the market. So, this is one of the first fuselages to come out of the mold back in 1980. hehe, finally, she'll be seeing some airtime...hopefully.

Well, as she sits, she's mostly in primer, though there is still a bit of work to be done (lots of detailing ). She is destined for a Wren MW-54 12 lb thrust turbine. For colors, I have chosen the "Mephisto" Mirage 5 BR (had that chosen from day one ). It's a belgian Mirage comemorating the 70th Anniversary of the air wing. By the way, if anyone out there is willing to share any information they may have on the airplane or on the Mirage 5 BR that would be much appreciated!

I will be posting updates as I go along. My goal is to hopefully have her setting on her wheels for the AZ Jet Rally in November. Here are a couple shots of the airplane as she sits. Also, there is one of me holding the airplane from a couple years ago that gives a good reference of size. Oh, and one of the full size bird.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,446 Posts
Inlets

Well, first item of business was to finish off the inlets. These are the hi-tech hi-efficiency inlets that are now included with the kits. Since I'll be setting it up for turbine, the aft portion of the inlets will be removed later on once I have finalized the engine and fuel tank placement. The front of the inlets were mated up and the inlet lips were created using light weight bondo. I am looking into a way to simulate the boundary layer diverter as on the full size. I think I have an idea, so just need to attempt it.

Here are a couple shots with the last being the final result.

Chris
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:58 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Squadron white putty ?

Chris
what material(mfg) did you use for filler around the intakes?
Semper Fi
Joe
Bondo ultimate (Blue in color)
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Last edited by uncljoe; Aug 13, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,446 Posts
Joe,

The material is called "Split Second." IT's a two part polyester filler and mixes just like bondo (filler and hardener). The only difference is that it is extremely light weight and sands really easily. It's great stuff to work with and I swear by it.

Chris
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
So Chris,

Where does one find this light weight material?

Thanks,
Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:40 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,446 Posts
Hi Steve,

In general, I have not seen it in any stores...BUT it is something that we always keep in stock and have available for customers.

Chris
Old Aug 15, 2004, 02:38 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Thanks Chris,

Well I'll write your dad again. He was great about getting the air can to me quick for my Mig-25.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,804 Posts
Looks great Chris. That Split Second stuff would be handy at my house too. That is a really color full scale bird .
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:06 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
Chris, get motivated and give us an update!!! (please ).
I'll be starting on one of these soon, and watching your build will help a lot.
wekenav8r is offline Find More Posts by wekenav8r
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,446 Posts
Ah, so someone is watching! I've been slowly working. I cleaned up all of the hatches and am now cleaning up the wing saddle. I forgot to take before pictures, so the after pictures don't really show much. Also, I'm now working on my mold for the numerous air scoops that are found all over the Mirage. I'll post some pictures of that when it's done. I'll be making a "hi-tech" bondo mold.

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Aug 26, 2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3 Posts
Lightweight Fairing Matl. And Filler

Another good ultralight shaping and filling mixture is West System Fairing Filler (410) mixed half and half with glass microballoons into standard epoxy resin. Mix the powders into epoxy until the consistency of peanut butter then apply. Carve, sand and glass over or paint as required. Be sure to prime before painting.

Mike
Mike Newman is offline Find More Posts by Mike Newman
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:53 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Newman
Another good ultralight shaping and filling mixture is West System Fairing Filler (410) mixed half and half with glass microballoons into standard epoxy resin. Mix the powders into epoxy until the consistency of peanut butter then apply. Carve, sand and glass over or paint as required. Be sure to prime before painting.

Mike

Is that the light brown stuff?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Sep 03, 2004, 05:33 PM
West Palm Beach , Fl
Joined Dec 2003
68 Posts
Source for Split Second filler. Try any good auto paint store, about $12 for a lifetime supply.
jetflyr is offline Find More Posts by jetflyr
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:53 AM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
Hi Chris,

Got the info you needed.The 5BR is the photo-recon version of the standard Belgian 5BA.I don't think that it differs much between these photo recon Mirage.I think you're in for quite a nose job!

Best regards

Tom
supersluf is offline Find More Posts by supersluf