SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Chris,

Impressive build standard - what are you using for covering? - very fetching colour scheme!
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Rose View Post
Chris,

Impressive build standard - what are you using for covering? - very fetching colour scheme!
Thanks Stan...it's vintage yellow solartex with two coats of clear dope. Left 2 weeks to cure and then the green paint added (humbrol enamel) by hand.

It will all get a coat of Ronseal clear varnish when complete (clearcoat in the engine bay). The laser is a very clean runner so the airframe wont be subject to much soiling.
Chris Jenkins is online now Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:40 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2004
578 Posts
Funny how long this thread has run and suddenly towards the end all the other Falcon projects come alive.

It's really great to see all these great models come together - there can never be enough Falcons

Chris, I know what you mean, if you use a BB plan, then there are quite a few dimensional discrepancies to contest with - great cover job by the way!

I am also surprised that not so many Falcons are electric though.

Cheers

Tim
Tim Trick is offline Find More Posts by Tim Trick
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:01 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trick View Post
Funny how long this thread has run and suddenly towards the end all the other Falcon projects come alive.

It's really great to see all these great models come together - there can never be enough Falcons

Chris, I know what you mean, if you use a BB plan, then there are quite a few dimensional discrepancies to contest with - great cover job by the way!

I am also surprised that not so many Falcons are electric though.

Cheers

Tim
Hello Tim...nice to hear from you. Your Falcon was the inspiration for me to finish mine off (after I rediscovered the wings !).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
65 Posts
In one of your earlier posts Chris, I notice on your Cloud Cruiser plan the tail is fitted with a Stab Platform. This would be a sensible add on to my model as the plug-in tail with two built in servos can flex somewhat on the narrow fusalage. Will fit.
Ray
ol Timer is offline Find More Posts by ol Timer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:07 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Timer View Post
In one of your earlier posts Chris, I notice on your Cloud Cruiser plan the tail is fitted with a Stab Platform. This would be a sensible add on to my model as the plug-in tail with two built in servos can flex somewhat on the narrow fusalage. Will fit.
Ray
Hi Ray...good idea....I'm fitting a platform on mine with a plug at the front.

Keep at it !

Chris
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
65 Posts
Decal insignia

While I am nowhere ready to add insignia to the Falcon, I have been looking into it.
My intention was to try printing my own using inkjet Water-slide decal paper.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...r_slide_decals

Alternatively, Pyramid Models offer a CNC cut vinyl set for the Falcon.

http://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/pr...lcon_decal_set

The model illustrated is the Czech one seen in some earlier posts.
The font used looks like Georgia.
Ray
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
United Kingdom, Basingstoke
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Graphics & Engines

I used ink jet printed vinyl for all my decals. Clear vinyl in this case. I have used it on many projects and it works very well. Allow the printing to dry for a couple of hours and then brush over Clearcoat and allow to dry for 24 hrs. Then cut from sheet. Fuel proof/varnish again once in place - type depending on how much fuel it gets. On the Falcon I used a matt water based 'floor' varnish. As noted in other parts of the thread Lasers run clean and mine has a socking great silicone pipe to take tthe exhuast out to the wheels. After 45 minutes of tootling around it lands as clean and dry as when it took off.

By the way what does it take to kill the Laser 70 vs Laser 62 argument? Mine flies most of the time on 1/4 throttle on the Laser 62. It is totally fine. You do not need a Laser 70 unless you are buying a new one. In that case look very hard at lots of down thrust and side thrust.
DoctorG is offline Find More Posts by DoctorG
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
By the way what does it take to kill the Laser 70 vs Laser 62 argument? Mine flies most of the time on 1/4 throttle on the Laser 62. It is totally fine. You do not need a Laser 70 unless you are buying a new one. In that case look very hard at lots of down thrust and side thrust.
OK, one more time... 25 years ago, I SAW Neil Tidey fly a Falcon to test the first Laser 45 and it flew very well. I think he used more or less full power for takeoff, and then cruised around on 1/3 to half throttle... What else do you need?
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Timer View Post
While I am nowhere ready to add insignia to the Falcon, I have been looking into it.
My intention was to try printing my own using inkjet Water-slide decal paper.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...r_slide_decals

Ray
Ray,

I have recently used decal paper from this firm and it works just fine, in my case I had the decals printed on a Laser printer by a friend.
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
United Kingdom, Basingstoke
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
OK, one more time... 25 years ago, I SAW Neil Tidey fly a Falcon to test the first Laser 45 and it flew very well. I think he used more or less full power for takeoff, and then cruised around on 1/3 to half throttle... What else do you need?
Yes - but the smallest Laser you can buy new is now a 70, which is way to big.

Laser 61 - 1983 (mine is 1985 vintage) replaced in 1989 by 62, that withdrawn 1993. Laser 45 - 1986 not sure when withdrawn - circa 1989 as well I believe.

If I hadn't had the 61 (not 62 as previously quoted - typo) I would probably have put a Saito 45 in.
DoctorG is offline Find More Posts by DoctorG
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,635 Posts
I do love that green on yellow color scheme, and the red/cream one is most impressive too!

So many models to build, so little time!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
It's back to the Falcon after a couple of other distractions came and went. I've hinged the rudder with Robart hinges after applying Dacron along the hinge line and gave the engine a test run tonight. It's probably been about 3 years since I ran the engine. Started up fine and purred away at idle -fantastic!
What ideas do you guys have for bolting the stab and fin down without the rubber band set up?
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:29 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
65 Posts
My one-piece tail unit plugs into the fusalage using two dowels and is fairly secure, but to increase security and avoid using rubber bands I have added a pair of press studs, one at each end of the fin. To release the tail unit I gently lift each end in turn to unclick the studs then lift the whole assembly upwards.

Something else which has been very challenging is forming the windscreen frame. It took two attempts to get it right. To aid the fitting I have added an extra layer on top of the 'D' former.