SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Question
Is the Kyosho FW190 50 EP any good?

Hi all

I love my FW190's and have a Parkzone which has done a lot of miles.

I have been thinking about getting a larger version and am interested in the Kyosho 50 EP version which at 55" wingspan is about perfect.

It seems that Kyosho have discontinued this now although they are still available from a few retailers.

Can anybody give me some input into how good this plane actually is? It looks fantastic with lovely details and I love the smoothness and detail that the master coat finish brings which seems much better than the bubbly foam (although PZ foam is great nowadays).

However the fact that they have discontinued it does concern me for 2 reasons. Firstly I worry about the availability of spares. But more importantly I worry that maybe the plane had some problems, did not fly as well as it should etc.

I would be interested in your thoughts about this plane and any other c60" versions of the FW190 A series I should be considering.
vonmarshall is online now Find More Posts by vonmarshall
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Welcome to Groups!! Just do a search in this section, and you'll see at least 2 threads, one is a review of the plane, and one is a general thread.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Just found both those threads. Thanks for the heads up.

They seem very positive about it and the review by JB is fantastic. If only every review was that well done.

Any idea why Kyosho would discontinue such a wonderful plane?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:26 AM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
I have the nitro version with a YS 115 and it flys fantastic.
vanvan818 is offline Find More Posts by vanvan818
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:07 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,488 Posts
Kyosho planes fly great. I have their nitro Ki-61 with an Aviastar 53 and a 3-blade prop and it's the best flying airplane I own.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
10 Posts
Well I have had a really good search around for the FW190 and no real luck. I found one in America, but with postage and customs it all seems a bit expensive. Then I found one in the UK but the seller pulled out... he decided to build it himself after digging it out and having a look at it.

Spare parts are also a nightmare to find.

Such a pity. Where I live I am limited to 7kg weight (I live under a flightpath) so that rles out other quality ARTFs from ESM / YT etc.

And I do not really like foam as a material so that rules out FMS.

There do seem to be some Kyosho 50 EP Spitfires left in shops here in the UK so maybe I will have to switch to one of them.

I wonder why Kyosho stopped making these. They seem very popular.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
There is one at Hallam Hobbies.
I have been trying to con Fred (The Owner of the store) to drop the price...

http://hallamhobbies.com.au/index.php?ID=6&DID=96&PID=4

But he doesn't like me well enough...

Good luck!

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
I have built most of all the Kyosho war birds for myself or others including both series, 40, 50, and the classic fiberglass series. All of them fly extremely well and I won't part with any of them until I crash them. The classic glass series are my favorites because they are very scale for a 1/8th size aircraft. I actually have two NIB Zeros which are extremely hard to find and when you do, expect to pay over $300 for a 55" ARF.
Kyosho has continually taken great flying ARF's off their stock and then usually replace them one by one. When the Classic series was taken off it was because of price and the lack of people wanting to buy them when they could buy cheaper CMP ARF's. What people didn't realize is that those cheaper ARF's don't even come close to the Kyosho ones. The Classic series was replaced with the all wood .40 series. The early models had a "contact" type covering which while serviceable, it was not very good as the adhesive would eventually work it's way out at all the seems and you couldn't re-shrink it if it loosened up. The later .40 series used an more conventional plastic film covering. As the .40 series was being replaced, it made way for the .50 series which had the nicer printed covering. There we design changes made to the inside of the airframes for lighter weight with more strength. More laser cut ply was used and both EP and GP models were marketed. For some reason they only kept this series around for about 2-3yrs. That was a pity because all models were fantastic and only around the $215usd mark including a decent set of mechanical retracts. It's taken about 3yrs and just recently Kyosho has a new release of a warbird but it is a large Corsair ARF with air operated retracts included. There is still a need for a .40-.50 size war bird series but unfortunately, most pilots don't want to pay more than $100-$125 for a ARF that size so you won't see them again from Kyosho. RC pilots are their own worst enemies and then they'll still complain.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,653 Posts
I had the glow version for a while. I really liked it, but the outline just wasn't there for me. Along with that, I was and am no longer flying with glow power. That being said, the model flew well, it was built tough and I had little issue with it. If you do some searching there was a pretty lengthy thread on it.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine