HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
I decided to go ahead and order the TamJet ViperJet struts. I read through a lot of the thread and founds bits and pieces of the needed info spread around so I thought I would put it in one post and maybe it will help someone else out in the future. A lot of this is probably common knowledge to you guys that have been flying the jet for a while.

TamJet Struts use a 4mm pin that mounts into the retract, Taft retracts use a 5mm pin. Also the Taft struts are 90mm long from axel to the top of the strut. The TamJets struts are a bit longer.

I emailed Tam and he is going to shorten his VJ struts to 90mm, he will include the 4mm pin that goes in the top of the strut and also a 4mm to 5mm brass bushing so the struts will work in the JV without having to drill them out. He said when I ordered to just put that info in the comments section. There was no extra charge for shortening them or the brass bushings.

The TamJet ViperJet and the Super Sniper struts can both be used. The Super Sniper struts are angle back a bit more and require more trimming of foam.

My grass field is kept pretty short and is smooth but I still do a lot of flying in the winter. I thought the TamJet struts were probably necessary once the ground is rock hard this winter.
So he will cut down (shorten) the strut and make a 4mm to 5mm brass adapter keeping the original length? That is awesome! I think the Taft struts are 86mm. Can he cut them a bit shorter to match? Is this for a full set of three including nose? It looks like the mains are straight when retracted so they would fit right in without cutting. Is that correct? Will the doors close over the wheels with these?
9Mach is offline Find More Posts by 9Mach
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mach View Post
So he will cut down (shorten) the strut and make a 4mm to 5mm brass adapter keeping the original length? That is awesome!
The measurement I got was 90mm on the taft struts from axel to the top of the strut. The Tam strut has a 4mm hole in the top for the pin that connects the strut to the retract. One option is to make that hole 5mm and use the pin that is part of the Taft retract. What Tam suggested was keep the 4mm hole, use the 4mm pin that comes with his struts and he includes a 4-5mm brass bushing that fits around the top half of the pin (the part that slides into the retract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mach View Post
Is this for a full set of three including nose? It looks like the mains are straight when retracted so they would fit right in without cutting. Is that correct? Will the doors close over the wheels with these?
He adjust the length on all three and they all fit with the doors. Yes, the mains are straight when retracted on the Tam's ViperJet retracts. Tam's Super Sniper retracts aren't straight and require more foam trimming.

Super Sniper

Viper Jet
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Those look good! I measured 86mm on the Taft to the center of the axle. I think Tam shows 3.5" which is 88.9mm. I think that will work. It looks like the Taft pin protrudes roughly 5/8" and seems to be pressed in. Do you know how to remove it? How long is the 4mm pin with brass adapter bushing? Longer is stronger. The reason I asked about the doors is because the Tam struts do not have the offset for the mains that the Taft does. I wonder if you could use a spacer to move the wheels out on the axle then swap left and right struts to have the wheel go into the wing? What is the largest wheels that can be used? I was hoping for 2" for the front nose. Is there a bushing in the hinge pivot?
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Rotor Addict
Joined Dec 2008
543 Posts
The Taft pins are held in with set screws, as for the other questions I'll give more feedback once the struts arrive.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
United States, WV, Huntington
Joined Nov 2005
50 Posts
I modified the struts by drilling them out shortening them. I also went with 2" MPI aluminum wheels and foam tires. Much better combo with grass with larger diameter wheels, not to mention stock wheels weigh a ton. I am pushing mine around with a Jetcat P20 turbine now and it flies awesome and weighs less than the EDF version.
raptor30se is online now Find More Posts by raptor30se
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Rotor Addict
Joined Dec 2008
543 Posts
Tam is fast as well, email back and forth a few times last night with questions. Placed my order last night on his website and I already have a tracking number!

My JetFan and HET motor has shipped as well. The fun shall begin soon!
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor30se View Post
I modified the struts by drilling them out shortening them. I also went with 2" MPI aluminum wheels and foam tires. Much better combo with grass with larger diameter wheels, not to mention stock wheels weigh a ton. I am pushing mine around with a Jetcat P20 turbine now and it flies awesome and weighs less than the EDF version.
I thought Tam said they are not big enough around (3/8") to drill out? Since you did it, they must work! How much did you shorten them? 3mm? I was looking at the MPI wheels. Some have said on the "net" that the rubber part is not sturdy enough. The original mains are about 2" (50mm), weigh a ton and the rubber is hard as steel. Slight exaggeration. I was thinking of 2" for the nose and 2.25" or maybe 2.50" for the mains. 2.25" will fit in the main wells. 2.50" will require foam carving. Do you have photos? that would be awesome to see!
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
United States, WV, Huntington
Joined Nov 2005
50 Posts
Here are some photo's of my bird, I am using 2" MPI's off of grass and have no issue. I found there to be plenty of meat still in the struts to drill them out oversized for 5mm pins. I was able to use the nose door, but the main doors with their servo wouldn't allow for the mpi wheels so I did away with them.
raptor30se is online now Find More Posts by raptor30se
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
THANKS for the photos!!