HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2012
441 Posts
RF module has been updated, it now has a shield and a bunch of new routing. I was able to optimise some of the power routes and the PA/LNA switch and control lines slightly which should be good for electrical performance. The RF shield was a huge pain to fit on, but I think it's going to work out nicely!

I still need to modify the host boards to put the 3.3v regulator on there.

Also need to add etching into the RF shield with some product details, make it look sexy
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:28 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Noob questions...

I have all the parts now. PCB, lots of VERY small SMD parts. MPU6050, BMP085 and Flytron GPS. Oh and that Maxim chip as well.

I hear that there are some strange things called fuses on the Atmega mcu. Do I have to do any setting, and if so, what. Using AVRISP MKII programmer.
Along the same lines, it's rumored that there is a bootloader involved. I just looked and don't happen to have one in my back pocket. What's available and maybe a link to how to load it?

The video camera and VTx that I have are both 12V. I assume that I connect Vin, Vout and ground and leave the VT/camera Vcc outside of the OSD?

Using CPPM can I "Y" the line from the receiver to the OSD and run it to the flight controller as well? If not how can I get a signal to the FC, as I do plan on flying this OSD, not just a bench exercise?

The LED on the board. I don't see any orientation markings. Did some circuit tracing and think that the "+" side of the LED would be towards the video connections?

I am considering putting some heatshrink over the PCB once it is all setup and working. I plan on having angled pins on each end of the board and soldered cable connections for the sides. Would this cause heat or other issues?

Especially thank you to Dennis for all the work you are putting into this project and to all the others who are helping with question/answers.

I had a soldering practice run on an original KK SMD board that I have had around for a while, but went in another direction. Got the Atmel on and all the caps/resistors. It looks pretty clean, so I'm hoping that this OSD will go ok.

Bill
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Last edited by SupraGo; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:52 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGo View Post
I have all the parts now. PCB, lots of VERY small SMD parts. MPU6050, BMP085 and Flytron GPS. Oh and that Maxim chip as well.

I hear that there are some strange things called fuses on the Atmega mcu. Do I have to do any setting, and if so, what. Using AVRISP MKII programmer.
Along the same lines, it's rumored that there is a bootloader involved. I just looked and don't happen to have one in my back pocket. What's available and maybe a link to how to load it?

The video camera and VTx that I have are both 12V. I assume that I connect Vin, Vout and ground and leave the VT/camera Vcc outside of the OSD?

Using CPPM can I "Y" the line from the receiver to the OSD and run it to the flight controller as well? If not how can I get a signal to the FC, as I do plan on flying this OSD, not just a bench exercise?

The LED on the board. I don't see any orientation markings. Did some circuit tracing and think that the "+" side of the LED would be towards the video connections?

I am considering putting some heatshrink over the PCB once it is all setup and working. I plan on having angled pins on each end of the board and soldered cable connections for the sides. Would this cause heat or other issues?

Especially thank you to Dennis for all the work you are putting into this project and to all the others who are helping with question/answers.

I had a soldering practice run on an original KK SMD board that I have had around for a while, but went in another direction. Got the Atmel on and all the caps/resistors. It looks pretty clean, so I'm hoping that this OSD will go ok.

Bill
Your first post in this thread and you already have all the components etc. and are ready to assemble? Amazing

I would recommend to use Arduino for programming - it doesn't get much simpler than that. No need to worry about fuse-settings, where to get bootloader etc. Really just a few clicks.

In Arduino ide you just go to:
tools -> programmer -> "select the programmer you use"

You also have to select a board. Just pick the first board with Atmega328 in the name
tools -> board -> Arduino duemilanove w/ Atmega328

And now you are pretty much ready to go. I normally start by burning the bootloader (this most likely sets the fuse-bits too).
tools -> burn bootloader.

And now you are ready to upload software. Open character_uploader first and click:
file -> upload using programmer

same thing goes with MAX7456_OSD software.

The LED is optional, it's just a series resistor and LED between Vcc and ground, to see a little indication of power. The pad closest to the corner is ground. The pad above on the other component is connected to Vcc. I will update the picture later, but in worst case, if you connect it wrong - it just wont lit up, so no worries.

Putting a heatshrink around the OSD is not a problem at all. The MAX7456 chip heats up a little, but it's connected to the ground-plane which is plenty of cooling.

The 12-volt for video and camera, just connect it separately as you suggest. If you use 12-volt directly from the battery, you can use the 2 RAW pads to connect battery and the other one to camera and video-tx. The RAW-pads are connected directly on the PCB and only used to measure battery-voltage and split if necessary for 12-volt camera/video-tx
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Thanks, Dennis. That helps a lot. Now to the soldering
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGo View Post

Bill
Here is my DFOSD with heatshrink:

It is the barometric pressure sensor placed over the PCB.
Look forward to getting it done, it is super.

Michael - absolute-zero.dk
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
I have another little idea of OSD code. I have long missed a good indicator of at receiver channels position, for example when I take pictures from my multicopter. If a channel from PPM stream can activate a small flag/icon/text on the OSD when the selected channel is above a certain percentage, you can see when the picture is taken.
The same function can be usefull to indicate whether you have lights lit, landing gear up or down, haved dropped caramels, activated gun, thrown skydiver, etc.

Now I have my camera remotely activated via a receiver channel, and geotags images subsequent by synchronization of time between an extra GPS tracker and the camera. Could I look my ground video through after flags, i could see the exact position where the camera is activated. A tilt compensating compass heading could be useful here too.

Michael
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:00 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
absolute-zero/Michael
That's how I was thinking about using the heatshrink. Looks good.
Neat idea about the flag/time stamps.
I have a Canon A640 that I'm using for stills/video shots. I have CHDK firmware loaded and am taking a picture about every 2 seconds. That way I don't have to worry about missing anything and can concentrate on putting the plane where I want it.
Bill
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:44 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Does anyone else get this error on arduino 1.0.1 to 1.5.1?
Code:
functions.cpp: In function 'void mySerialPrint(unsigned char*, unsigned char)':
functions.cpp:26: error: 'UCSR0A' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:26: error: 'UDRE0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:27: error: 'UDR0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:30: error: 'UCSR0A' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:30: error: 'UDRE0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp: In function 'void initGPS()':
functions.cpp:48: error: 'UBRR0H' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:49: error: 'UBRR0L' was not declared in this scope
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
PCB available

Hello All.

I have been reading this tread with interest.

I have seen that PCB's will only be made in larger quantaties so is there any one out there were I cna buy one from.

With regards,

Tonnie Oostbeek
The Netherlands
mail to toostbeek78 .at.gmail.com
tonnie78 is offline Find More Posts by tonnie78
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:09 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Does anyone else get this error on arduino 1.0.1 to 1.5.1?
Code:
functions.cpp: In function 'void mySerialPrint(unsigned char*, unsigned char)':
functions.cpp:26: error: 'UCSR0A' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:26: error: 'UDRE0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:27: error: 'UDR0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:30: error: 'UCSR0A' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:30: error: 'UDRE0' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp: In function 'void initGPS()':
functions.cpp:48: error: 'UBRR0H' was not declared in this scope
functions.cpp:49: error: 'UBRR0L' was not declared in this scope
When I choose Arduino Uno I do

You must select:
Tools -> Board -> "a board with Atmega328"

That should fix your problem
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
You can order from oshpark.com, formerly dorkbotpdx. you will get 3 boards for ~$11+shipping. Now that the chinese new year is basically in effect for board manf, that will probably be your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnie78 View Post
Hello All.

I have been reading this tread with interest.

I have seen that PCB's will only be made in larger quantaties so is there any one out there were I cna buy one from.

With regards,

Tonnie Oostbeek
The Netherlands
mail to toostbeek78 .at.gmail.com
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
When I choose Arduino Uno I do

You must select:
Tools -> Board -> "a board with Atmega328"

That should fix your problem
Interesting...I'll try changing the bootloader. I'm currently using the 3dr Remzibi hardware, which is abit finicky with arduino (its an ATmega32A).

Edit:
It seems that the issue comes from the fact that I am using the Atmega32A, for some reason AVRdude refuses to accept that part of the code loading to this chip.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Last edited by Legot; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:17 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Post #1 have been updated a bit
Was about time to get the PCB-files, component-list etc. linked in post #1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:37 PM
FpvQc
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
hi again all ! i just finished to solder all parts on the board, and power it up, led light up nice !

now, my problemis i'm unable to upload sketch and burn bootloader into Atmage328 ??

did i have to use ISP input to program it ? or via GPS TX/RX is ok ? thanks !
BillyJo is offline Find More Posts by BillyJo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:43 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJo View Post
hi again all ! i just finished to solder all parts on the board, and power it up, led light up nice !

now, my problemis i'm unable to upload sketch and burn bootloader into Atmage328 ??

did i have to use ISP input to program it ? or via GPS TX/RX is ok ? thanks !
Very nice
You need an ISP, as your Atmega328P most likely dont have a bootloader. You can use an Arduino as ISP if you don't have one.

- Connect the ISP to the OSD (6 pin connector)
- Open Arduino IDE
- Tools -> Programmer -> "select your programmer"
- Tools -> Board -> Arduino Duemilanove w/ Atmega328
- Tools -> Burn bootloader
- .... Wait for the software to be uploaded

- File -> Open -> Find the software downloaded and locate "Character_uploader" -> Character_uploader.ino
File -> Upload using programmer
(here you might want to disconnect power to OSD, connect it again and wait 10-20 seconds for characters to be uploaded to MAX7456)

- File -> Open -> Find the software downloaded and locate "MAX7456_OSD" -> MAX7456_OSD.ino
File -> Upload using programmer
- Disconnect power to the OSD, connect power again and wait approx 10-20 seconds for characters and default settings to be saved. This is done first time the OSD is booted.

- And you are ready to go!

If possible, please upload a picture of your hardware. Would love to see it