SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
I just came here to see reviews on the sky lipos as now most of the higher end Gens ace prices have gone up by over 30%!!! I was thinking of ordering sky lipos but now I see this and with the higer prices on Gens ace, I guess its back to the other blue lipos.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Just came across this thread and have to say all the SKY LIPOs that I have purchased last year and before were great. Recommended them to many that also had great results. Now I see there may be a quality issue with the current batches. I can't say one way or the other because almost every time I wanted to purchase more in the last year they have been out of stock.
7SP is offline Find More Posts by 7SP
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
636 Posts
The problem seems to be with the 40C batteries, I have five 30C SkyLipos and they are working just fine.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
217 Posts
I am at my third 4s SKY LIPO that has failed! they all showed up the same behaviour...one of the cells has zero voltage.

all less than 2 months old.

has anyone been able to get a refund?
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
Newbie,3D Wannabe :)
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Feb 2011
93 Posts
Hobbypartz get your act together or you will loose a lot of coustomers. They have spent tons of money supporting you now its time for you guys to the same. At least when people call with An issue pick up the phone and try to resolve the issue.I spent over $2k between Hobbypartz nitroplanes etc and now have same issues with skylipos as everyone else.Dont act like hobbyking I can understand they are overseas, but you being in CA USA at least pick up the phone and do what's right, either refund or give credit and then go after manufacturer. But hell at least let us know you are alive listening and willingly do what's right and I and im sure others will understand and most likely you will loose less clientele. Offering bargain prices does not mean SOLD AS IS.There is more and more copetition out there and only one that will loose out is you! My 2 cents about this issue, I have switched to Gforce and im happy so far so if you don't change your business ethics then im sorry ill pay more and go else where.
Skywalker14 is offline Find More Posts by Skywalker14
Old May 14, 2013, 01:10 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
This is a huge problem throughout the lipo rc business. I just plain don't know who to trust at this point. I fly EDF so I need a bit of punch. I'm running an 8S setup on a model I will finish soon. 2800 watt range max. I have the old silver XPS 45C packs in 5S and a newly purchased set of Genesis 55C 5s packs. XPS no longer makes lipos so I can buy matching 3S packs. The Genesis packs (Banana Hobby) seem iffy based on readings i'm getting during break in. So i'm reluctant to order the 3S packs from them. More money blown. And there seems to be a real SHORTAGE of decent lipos in the 5000 mah range 25C and up. I.E. Gens Ace Etc...Everyone is out of stock. What the hell is going on??? I won't be flying anything till I can prove on the bench that packs will hold up. So I won't be flying.... I'm not going back to glow so I have a problem......
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old May 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bateman View Post
This is a huge problem throughout the lipo rc business. I just plain don't know who to trust at this point. I fly EDF so I need a bit of punch. I'm running an 8S setup on a model I will finish soon. 2800 watt range max. I have the old silver XPS 45C packs in 5S and a newly purchased set of Genesis 55C 5s packs. XPS no longer makes lipos so I can buy matching 3S packs. The Genesis packs (Banana Hobby) seem iffy based on readings i'm getting during break in. So i'm reluctant to order the 3S packs from them. More money blown. And there seems to be a real SHORTAGE of decent lipos in the 5000 mah range 25C and up. I.E. Gens Ace Etc...Everyone is out of stock. What the hell is going on??? I won't be flying anything till I can prove on the bench that packs will hold up. So I won't be flying.... I'm not going back to glow so I have a problem......
I agree 100%.

I have purchased all sorts of lipos over the last 7 years, I abused the heck out of some and babied others. Some lipos lived, many died. what I have come to believe is that quality control in some of the lipo factories must be terrible. As long as the cells are matched with the identical contents, age and condition in each cell, the lipos have a chance of surviving provided you don't discharge them at a rate greater than 55ish % of their advertised max continuous C rating. Many times a single cell gives up even under low discharge yet the rest of the cells can live a long life. Heck, I have purchased packs that arrived with a bad cell at maybe 1.5 volts. That's quality control right there. It's a shame we don't have some sort of all in one database for lipo performance.

My best results were obtained by not pushing the lipos hard at all. Some of my packs are 5 years old and still work great.

Somehow I think the popularity of lipo batteries in such a wide variety of manufacturers and products that supply might be pinched a bit. I would bet that hobby RC lipos aren't high on the list of priorities when compared to government and civilian contracts for all this new tech gadgets, weapons, tablets, etc.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old May 15, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
116 Posts
Very concerned so far.
Have 4 5s 4400 40c Sky lipos that I bought almost two years ago. They were awesome and I told everyone! Built them into 10s packs and flew them in my 3200w pattern plane for over 100 flights each. The started to be a little down on power so I just ordered 4 more to build two more flight packs.
The new batteries are 30g lighter wich is great since I have to make weight but also scares me. Initial charges show IR over 12 and 15. One short easy flights and the IR went up! Power seemed weak on flight two last night.
Opened a service ticket on Monday with no response. Will call on Friday but from skimming this thread I hope it isn't a waste of time.

I hope it isn't time to look for a new battery supplier.
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Last edited by Anthonyr; May 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: to not whine so much
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Planes & Falconry my passions
New York
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
I bought over $500 in sky lipo 6 cells packs. They have just 22 cycles each one. 2 already went bad. I called yesterday hobbypartz but they said they can't help me since has been more than 30 days. I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN those packs. I guess we get what we pay for. Also the thunder 6 charger from them has issues. The 3d port smoked the first day. I had it connected to the green power supply they sell so my friend got the same charger but instead he bought a really good power supply from RadioShack: surprise surprise, the same 3d port smoked as well. The sad part is that hobbypartz just avoid responsibility saying that "they have been using the same equipment in their office for test" with not issues. BS
Feliperc is offline Find More Posts by Feliperc
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
636 Posts
Lately I've been buying batteries from Value Hobby and Motion RC and have not had any problems at all plus no outrageous shipping charges.
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:24 PM
Corsir Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
I wish i had found this thread earlier. Before getting a 3s 2200. Two very short flights on it and on the third , one of the cells has gone bad. Dropped below 2v while the others are at 3.9
Mopower71 is offline Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Aug 04, 2013, 12:17 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
I've moved on to G-Force elite, MotionRC, and even China hobby line for my lower cost 3s pilot's and so far so good.

My SKY's are long gone and NEVER a word from HobbyPartz.

Larry
Premium2000 is online now Find More Posts by Premium2000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vapors & MSR's
Old Aug 04, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
217 Posts
The sad part is that only ONE cell usually gives up and you are out ofa working battery altogether

Since most of the time it is a cell at the top or bottom of the stack I have started to just take that one out and downgrade from 4s to 3s..Pain because the balance connector is outsized too.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
23 Posts
my solution: quit buying crappy lipos, take a class on building your own and buy independent cells then assemble your own! http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...gle_Cell_.html http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...gle_Cell_.html

These work great. Never had one fail!
JKlugman14 is offline Find More Posts by JKlugman14
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlugman14 View Post
my solution: quit buying crappy lipos, take a class on building your own and buy independent cells then assemble your own! http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...gle_Cell_.html http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...gle_Cell_.html

These work great. Never had one fail!
Great; I did not know you could buy single cells at HK or anywhere

Anyhow any "class" on the internet/ youtube? I am very good with the soldering iron but you got me worried that it takes some special handling?
Also a few times that I tried to solder these it did not seem to be so easy for the solder to stick to the terminals.