SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holco View Post
We have bought 9psc Ice 50 esc's with the 4.01 firmware but they lose sinc on 28 and 24 poles motors

Hope Castle wil improve there firmware because this motors are running without any problem on a Mystery 40A ESC with simonK firmware, we bought (for almost Ä1000,00 !!) the Ice 50 ESC's because we wanted a pro solution, but like this they are useless!!
holco, what motors are you using?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Dualsky 28 poles and Rctiger 24 poles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
holco, what motors are you using?
holco is offline Find More Posts by holco
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks holco,
I am using MT2216 - cant find any info about poles for them ..... would really like to use the CC 25A. Where did you get your 50's?

EDIT: RcTiger are all 24 poles ????

My AXI 2814/22 are 14 Poles:
http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?page=113

And why did you buy ICE instead of Phoenix?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Well, all of high-current (above 35A) phoenix series is discontinued as far as I know.
Replaced by Phonex ICE. That would be my guess why.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
holco,

the MT2814 are 12N14P according their website
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:01 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,617 Posts
Quote:
What timing and PWM have you tried? What ICE firmware version number – some versions work better with high pole count motors than others.

The Outrunner PWM option is specifically designed for high pole count motors. Go to the Motor tab and select PWM Outrunner. Then try timing of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 to see what works best. A bit of bench testing should bet you up and running.

Also I have noticed that the muntirotor sometimes has a bit of a hard start so start with start power of low. If it does not spin up smoothly then increase the start power until it starts smoothly.

One of the biggest problems that I have seen with multirotors is the tendency to over prop the motor. That will cause problems like loss of sync. Do some bench testing starting with a very small prop and gradually increase until you find a prop that runs well and does not exceed the motor current at 100% throttle. Run it up to full throttle for a couple of minutes to make sure that nothing overheats. A bit of bench testing really pays off so that you will get a reliable setup.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Jul 16, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
The MT4006 and the MT4008 are 24 poles motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Thanks holco,
EDIT: RcTiger are all 24 poles ????
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I have heard that many ESC's have problems with pancake motors, you are not the first.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
holco I have the MT4008 motors and they lose sync for sure with simonk firmware.

with wiiesc firmware they do not lose sync BUT I lose about 15% of the top end for throttle...

with a standard turnigy plush 30 amp it loses sync unless you are on high timing... and the esc gets super hot... so I think it's pulling 20+ amps

So the question is... is there a firmware (fast) that works properly with these motors? If you set your Castles to high timing it may work for you... but at what cost I wonder? efficiency? power or heat???

My octo is grounded untill I find something that works and it's driving me nuts! I can't afford 8 CC esc's to "try out"

Steve

Quote:
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Hi Steve,

Today I tested the 28 poles Dualsky XM5010TE-5 with higher (20) timing on the Ice 50 and now the motor is not loosing sync
Its not perfect yet but its looking better, tomorrow I will test some more settings.

Greetings,

Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
holco I have the MT4008 motors and they lose sync for sure with simonk firmware.

with wiiesc firmware they do not lose sync BUT I lose about 15% of the top end for throttle...

with a standard turnigy plush 30 amp it loses sync unless you are on high timing... and the esc gets super hot... so I think it's pulling 20+ amps

So the question is... is there a firmware (fast) that works properly with these motors? If you set your Castles to high timing it may work for you... but at what cost I wonder? efficiency? power or heat???

My octo is grounded untill I find something that works and it's driving me nuts! I can't afford 8 CC esc's to "try out"

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
FYI I found that it will lose timing easier with the prop off... so test like that first... then prop on...

I would be happy and flying if wiiesc firmware just had adjustable throttle enpoints

anyway I am not trying to hijack this thread... but you are having the same troubles other flahed programs are with the pancake motors so I thought I would post...

Please let us know how it goes! good luck.

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post

Steve
WOW it sounds like those are very poorly designed motors. Why would anyone want to use such a motor when there are so many excellent motors on the market that never give any problems like that. I really donít understand the purpose in this discussion just too those motors and get something better.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
honestly when they run on standard esc's they are super smooth and quiet... and efficient... if a guy was not going to run flashed esc they are pretty darn nice...

but I am big fan of flashed esc so they are not for me....

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
WOW it sounds like those are very poorly designed motors. Why would anyone want to use such a motor when there are so many excellent motors on the market that never give any problems like that. I really don’t understand the purpose in this discussion just too those motors and get something better.

I second that, people think they waste $50 per Chinese motor and somehow that makes them good, when there's pretty much same stuff available for way cheaper.
A few clever Chinese put shiny hologram stickers on old line of motors and now everyone thinks they're awesome. Anyone remember Pulso AVRoto RCTigerMotors all same stuff all made in same factory with a different shininess sticker on it and each one charging $10 more for same thing.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
I tested a lot off motors for multirotors and I think the best design for now is the Dualsky XM serie, most efficiŽnt also