SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
I have now balanced and installed the Graupner 10x5 e-props. They do work quite well, I must say. I still think the GWS 9x5x3s, when you get straight ones (), are probably just a little smoother, but these are a ton smoother than the stock props, and they are pretty closely balanced, out-of-the-box.

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-09.mp4 (4 min 40 sec)

As Andrey says, I should have these up on my new website by the end of the week. Shipping won't happen until next week, however, as I'm waiting on a servo shipment, which won't be in until then.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Gary,

thank you for the nice video. will follow more great tips ...

- Ezwan
toptweaks is offline Find More Posts by toptweaks
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
how do the Graupner props compare to APC SFs?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:31 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I know GoPros arent cheap but I bet you'd move more units if you hard mounted a GoPro to the top and had the gimble on the bottom and did some enthusiastic flying. It would show in real time the difference your gimbal makes.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:54 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
how do the Graupner props compare to APC SFs?
There is a huge difference, in my opinion. The APC slowfly props are way too flexible, in my opinion, and no matter how well you balance them, jello seems to creep into the video. In terms of ranking, for jello-free video performance, I'd put the APC SFs on the bottom, the stock 10x4.5s in the middle and then the GWS 9x5x3s and Graupner 10x5s on top. The Graupners are easier to balance, and have zero tracking issues, due to their knife-like rigidity. The GWS 3-bladed 9x5x3s, once balanced, are actually a bit smother than the Graupners, but only if you start out with ones that aren't warped. I've had about 20% of the ones I bought that have at least one blade the bends up slightly. On the other hand, you can buy five of the GWS 9x5x3s for the cost of one Graupner 10x5.

-- Gary
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I just had a thought this morning. I know to some of you, the price is an issue and want to buy it in upgradeable manner.

What do you think about this. Th nex-5 yoke with the mounting system that is on this LG is very easy to make it vertical tilt only gimbal. it would only require 2 standoffs to make this work and gimbal that could be predrilled for current mounting system. upgrade roll block will be available, if desired. I also know some would not mind just having smooth tilt only set as well. and it could be stabilized for tilt only. This option would only be available for nex5 or bigger gimbal. (including the dslr gimbal as tilt only)

The F550 askman modular system .

let me know what you guys think.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:03 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
Modular is always better! I think most beginners would want to start with Go Pro, then upgrade to NEX5/7, and eventually the DSLR stuff. This would be the first upgradeable mount system!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:06 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
There is a huge difference, in my opinion. The APC slowfly props are way too flexible, in my opinion, and no matter how well you balance them, jello seems to creep into the video. In terms of ranking, for jello-free video performance, I'd put the APC SFs on the bottom, the stock 10x4.5s in the middle and then the GWS 9x5x3s and Graupner 10x5s on top. The Graupners are easier to balance, and have zero tracking issues, due to their knife-like rigidity. The GWS 3-bladed 9x5x3s, once balanced, are actually a bit smother than the Graupners, but only if you start out with ones that aren't warped. I've had about 20% of the ones I bought that have at least one blade the bends up slightly. On the other hand, you can buy five of the GWS 9x5x3s for the cost of one Graupner 10x5.

-- Gary

looks at his massive pile of APC 11x3.8 and 12x6 props....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I know GoPros arent cheap but I bet you'd move more units if you hard mounted a GoPro to the top and had the gimble on the bottom and did some enthusiastic flying. It would show in real time the difference your gimbal makes.
Good idea, I might just give that a try. I usually do use my 2nd GoPro on the headband mount, to show what the platform is doing, but it is usually too far away to really see what is happening. In the video below, which I did yesterday afternoon, I was testing the GPS hold function in breezy/gusty conditions. The WK-M makes some pretty aggressive corrections, but it holds position really well. Normally, this is not a good thing, for getting smooth video, but if the gimbal is doing its job, and is properly "tuned", it shouldn't matter. In terms of the tilt axis, I now have this setup pretty close. When the F550 was pointed into the wind, you can't really tell anything is gong on, but you can see the legs come into the frame a few times. For the roll axis, I still need to tweak the roll gains a bit more. Actually, I did this, prior to this flight, but I think I over-corrected, slightly, because now I see a slight movement in the other direction. I'll play with this again.

F550 GoPro Gimbal Test-10.mp4 (6 min 49 sec)

I was also playing around with the gains quite bit during this flight, as I haven't done this before with these Graupners installed. I'm finding that I do have a really wide range of gain settings that don't seem to have much effect on flight performance, but at certain settings I do see more vibrations in the pool noodles on the skids.

Anyway, on the next flight, I think I will try sticking my other GoPro on the top F550 plate.

-- Gary
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Looks pretty good Gary, especially considering the wind that was present. One other thought:

Mount the GoPro BEHIND the camera mount (back near the flight batteries) facing forward to show the stabilization in action. That way you could see the mount moving all over the place in direct reference to the movements the hex is making itself.

Have you flown with the Nex5 yet?
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
I just had a thought this morning. I know to some of you, the price is an issue and want to buy it in upgradeable manner.

What do you think about this. Th nex-5 yoke with the mounting system that is on this LG is very easy to make it vertical tilt only gimbal. it would only require 2 standoffs to make this work and gimbal that could be predrilled for current mounting system. upgrade roll block will be available, if desired. I also know some would not mind just having smooth tilt only set as well. and it could be stabilized for tilt only. This option would only be available for nex5 or bigger gimbal. (including the dslr gimbal as tilt only)

The F550 askman modular system .

let me know what you guys think.
I think that a modular, upgradable mount is a great idea! Want to step-up? Upgrade instead of buying a whole new mount each time!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
I think that a modular, upgradable mount is a great idea! Want to step-up? Upgrade instead of buying a whole new mount each time!
That is what I have in mind. Why I designed the whole setup to be as universal as possible while maximizing functionality. You should be able to go from simple to fully loaded setup including pan. I just measured my setup and even gopro version can be made to be tilt only. I will release my product roadmap soon with when it will be available. I will be busy as a beaver to get all these things done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Yes you will, Andrey!

Your hard work is much appreciated but make sure to keep it in perspective this time
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, having my wife fully onboard and being totally fit helps a lot . I should post my latest picture . I have a transformation pic from fat to fit series. lmao. Still working on my 6 packs though. . That should help me out stay focused and out of trouoble . Having gary to do lot of the customer service will help me a lot too. all good things.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Feb 15, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
G'day all,

Great thread. Really like the GoPro gimble; my down the road goal, but first need to get my F450 into the air. It's built, except for the top plate, thanks to the Gary Travis video. I have not powered it up yet as I find some of the instructions some what unclear and have not been able call back support.

Being a 'fixed wing" guy I've read and reread the User Manual, v1.4, trying to insure I have a good understanding of what to expect when I actually apply power for the first time. I have the "assistant" loaded and it appears to be working, on my computer.

I have a receiver, and VU unit wired to the NAZA despite the VU confusion I've noted. I've checked and double checked my connections to ensure no connection errors.

I've watch the Gary Travis video countless times; it's great very helpful except for the areas Ive noted. Gray addresses newbie confusion and in my humble opinion glasses right over it.

- How do I know if I have a "traditional" receiver, D-bus, or S-bus receiver?
- DJI site pictures of the NAZA controller, in flight sometimes, shows no connection of the VU unit as suggested on page 7 of the user manual, is manual right?
I placed the four wire plug into the NAZA LED slot and the three wire plug into the NAZA X3 slot, is that right?
- Page 12, Step 1 Receiver Type, again where do I find D-Bus, S-Bus, or Traditional?
(I have a Spektrum AR8000 and a Spektrum AR6200 receiver)
- Page 12, Step 2 Cut Off Type
It suggest to me I have one of 4 choices in what DJI calls Combination Stick Command (CSC). Will I get an option or page to select the one of the combos or does the assistant do it for me based on my TX?

This is more than likely kid stuff for you multi rotor experienced guys, but I would like to be successful with the new adventure, so gotta ask the questions.

Cheers

Bob
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
Closed Thread