SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
I've owned my PL6 for a few months now, and it will not discharge packs from DC power source, but re-gen discharging works fine. Can anyone tell me if there is a setting that could cause this, or is it defective?

I emailed FMA support and they never replied.
wolfdown is offline Find More Posts by wolfdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdown View Post
I've owned my PL6 for a few months now, and it will not discharge packs from DC power source, but re-gen discharging works fine. Can anyone tell me if there is a setting that could cause this, or is it defective?

I emailed FMA support and they never replied.
Internal discharge of 50 watts is enabled by default. Depend on the pack size, that may not be alot and the discharge may appear to either going very slowly, or not working at all. What is displayed on the screens when you try to discharge? What size packs are you discharging? What preset are you using? What is the pack's starting voltage?
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Packs are 6S 5000mAh at fulll charge. The discharge rate only reaches 13mA, and I've left it on for over an hour. Even my "tiny" iCharge 206B can discharge at 0.8A and get a full pack to storage charge in 2 or 3 hours. I'm using the storage charge preset. I can post any options here if you think it will help.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Packs are 6S 5000mAh at fulll charge. The discharge rate only reaches 13mA, and I've left it on for over an hour. Even my "tiny" iCharge 206B can discharge at 0.8A and get a full pack to storage charge in 2 or 3 hours. I'm using the storage charge preset. I can post any options here if you think it will help.
Discharging 6s, it should be able to hit 1.8- 2.1 amps. It may be worth a call to FMA (301) 829-5533.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Is it trying to do an internal or regen discharge? What is the discharge current set to? If you plug it into the computer do you see any red text messages displayed in the cells or power supply tabs that would indicate a problem? What is your power supply?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Internal discharge, regen works fine.

The discharge current in the LCD menu is set to max, mabye 10A or higher. I'll check again tonight to verify. Don't know if there is some other global/internal setting that might be constraining it.

I'll try to check with the PC software tonight, or as soon as I have time. Last I tried I wasn't getting any error messages.

Power supply is a dual HP 47A 12V server PSU in series. No problems charging. I've had it up to 30A or more on 6S.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Hi:

From what you've said, it sounds like you have a defective unit. Please contact Howard Matos, howard@fmadirect.com or (3010 829-5533.

Thanks,

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,552 Posts
Had two fully charged packs that didn't get flown at the field, so I put them on the MPA, went to storage charge preset, I think it was set at 5.00A discharge, I did choose 2P in parallel and launched it to discharge.

These were parkzone 1300 3s packs, decently used.

After about 10 minutes it beeps that it's done. I disconnect the batteries and then test them with my little 3 in 1 meter, and get readings for each cell in the 3.96-3.97 range for all 3 cells on both packs.

Does this indicate that these packs may be weakened, and sagging under load so that they hit storage voltage more quickly than expected, then the voltage bounces back slightly after the load is removed?

I had another used pack seem to go weak on me at the field, the plane seemed to lose significant oomph in a circuit with no change in wind pattern that I could discern.

I'm strongly considering replacing these 3 used packs, if sagging and weak current is going to be an issue.

Am I right in my guess or is it something else?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Brown,

What did the charger say the cell volts were?
Also how many mah were removed from the packs?

If you didn't check it might be a good idea to charge the packs up again and repeat the storage charge.

You should also check to see what the set voltage is for the storage preset. It could be that it is set for the values you see.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,552 Posts
I didn't check to be honest, it was that late stage in the day of cleaning up sawdust and putting things away while I discharged them down.

I'll be at the bench building and gluing some this week and will charge them up and discharge them back down again this week.

I recall seeing a monitor function mentioned for the PL6. I can use it for internal resistance checks too, I assume that will only yield usable data if I get readings with one battery, a parallel setup will just muddy things.

Think I'm likely to swear off acquiring used batteries as I am able to get newer ones and build up a stock. Likely to also charge to 4.1V for long life a lot of the time, I'm coming home with charged packs too often and don't always get them discharged that day, the kids take priority when I get home. That's not too bad when they are small turnigy packs that don't cost much but when I go bigger packs or bigger names that's another story.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I recall seeing a monitor function mentioned for the PL6. I can use it for internal resistance checks too, I assume that will only yield usable data if I get readings with one battery, a parallel setup will just muddy things.
Monitor mode will only check pack and cell volts. It will not show IR.

Glen
Old Aug 11, 2012, 04:24 AM
Addicted
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined May 2010
189 Posts
I'm starting to get frustrated with my Powerlab 6 now. Is there anyway to set more than 10A total current?? What ever I choose the charge reverts back to 10A. Trying to charge 4x 4S 4000mah pack i parallell. I have set 4amps and then choosen 4P, still the charger reverts back to 2.5A (10A total).

My iCharger charges at 16Amps with no problem and only draws 23Amps from the power supply so it shouldn't be a PS-issue....
Parakos is offline Find More Posts by Parakos
Last edited by Parakos; Aug 11, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parakos View Post
I'm starting to get frustrated with my Powerlab 6 now. Is there anyway to set more than 10A total current?? What ever I choose the charge reverts back to 10A. Trying to charge 4x 4S 4000mah pack i parallell. I have set 4amps and then choosen 4P, still the charger reverts back to 2.5A (10A total).

My iCharger charges at 16Amps with no problem and only draws 23Amps from the power supply so it shouldn't be a PS-issue....
Please look at all the presets. You will find that there are high power presets that will allow up to 40 amps.

Glen
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
I'd love for the ability to set the charger to charge at 4C. Currently there is only options to charge @ 1,2 & 3C, then you can set actual amps. All my batteries can at least be charged @ 4C
hosko is offline Find More Posts by hosko
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:49 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosko View Post
I'd love for the ability to set the charger to charge at 4C. Currently there is only options to charge @ 1,2 & 3C, then you can set actual amps. All my batteries can at least be charged @ 4C
You are much better off setting the charge rate manually. Even if there was a 4C selection the charge time would be much longer than selecting a rate manually.

I suggest you set up one or more presets to the charge rate you need.

Glen