SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:40 PM
AMA 1046820
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
897 Posts
Okay, I am torn...

I have a Trex 500 on which I want to replace my FBL controller. It currently has the CopterX 3x2000 on it, but I've found an issue where if I go inverted it acts strange, as if the gains are set extremely high.

So I am considering the Tarot ZYX-S2, or (a little off topic) a Mini K-Bar.

I am using Align DS515M cyclic servos, and an Emax 9258 on the tail for the time being (That will soon be changing as well).

Any recommendations that you could suggest, guys?
Powerdyne is online now Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:54 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,060 Posts
I have both, the Kbar seems to fly a little better, and you can plug 2 sats into it.

I just flew My T-rex600 clone last night it uses the ZYX(nonS) . I changed the head and had to reset the gains . I used the Bluetooth and my phone. Worked really well.

I have a ICard for the Kbar it works almost as well, but no touchscreen. I guess this doesn't help much, but If I was buying new stuff I would buy the KBar. nothing is wrong with ZYX. The KBAR is cheaper.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:16 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdyne View Post
Okay, I am torn...

I have a Trex 500 on which I want to replace my FBL controller. It currently has the CopterX 3x2000 on it, but I've found an issue where if I go inverted it acts strange, as if the gains are set extremely high.

So I am considering the Tarot ZYX-S2, or (a little off topic) a Mini K-Bar.

I am using Align DS515M cyclic servos, and an Emax 9258 on the tail for the time being (That will soon be changing as well).

Any recommendations that you could suggest, guys?
Could be your main bearings need replacing, or your leads to the gyro are not supported (clamped to the frame), close enough to the gyro.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:52 PM
AMA 1046820
Joined Mar 2013
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Could be your main bearings need replacing, or your leads to the gyro are not supported (clamped to the frame), close enough to the gyro.
The Main bearings are new. Wiring has the recommended 1/4" slack loop then clamped right at the upper frame via zip tie through two holes I drilled, then at a point lower on the frame side where the signal wires enter into the frame to the Rx on the Rx tray.

It is belt driven though so I wonder if it's possible that there is a bit of vibration change on the drive pulley when inverted, I've checked end play on the pulley shaft, but it seems fine. Tail is grounded to the boom though, so static shouldn't be an issue.

This is a new 3x2000 though, and I did have quite a hassle getting things dialed in on it for upright flight. I'm beginning to wonder if it's those gain pots going wonky when I flip it over?

Honestly, I just want to get rid of all things CopterX after the fiasco I had with Ky-Model in getting some other things sorted out in one of their shoddy kits.

That's why I am looking into a ZYX or a KBar. I need something relatively cheap for my beater heli.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2014, 01:11 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
Then +1 on the Kbar. 2 Sats, auto trim and tail auto optimize, makes setup very easy.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Sep 13, 2014, 01:16 AM
AMA 1046820
Joined Mar 2013
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Then +1 on the Kbar. 2 Sats, auto trim and tail auto optimize, makes setup very easy.
Kbar is looking like the winner here.

Oh, and I found the problem with the heli. Align swashplate bearing is sloppy. not super bad, but bad enough that it has enough play to throw the gyro into spasms.

Changed the swash bearing, and will test it again when my new blades get here. Still looking to change the gyro out though.
RCG Plus Member