HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
I'm interested to see if there is any damage to the motor shaft.
You will likely have a bent shaft and a bent motor mount . Both are easily repaired .
Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
It doesn't look to bad, once the cowl is off you will see the extent of the damage. Hot water works great, I filled the biggest pot I could find and put it on the stove and got it really hot and dipped the nose in as far as I could (after taking our electronics, though I let the throttle servo wire plug get wet to be honest.
I used a coffee mug to scoop up the hot water and pour it over the parts I couldn't get into the water, I did that repeatedly and it straightened everything up nice, see a few pages back for pics of my crash.

I have a question for those of you who upgraded your motor, what kind of downward thrust angle did you use? I put this: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=25077 (direct fit to the stock bracket for those wondering) on my Sensei but it won't stop climbing under any power. At first I had no downward thrust, I then put 2 washer on the upper motor bracket screws so it is angling down 5 or 10 degrees but it still climbs if I give it any power. I didn't really notice any difference after anlging it down to be honest, but I only flew it once or twice in high winds. I'm sure it's the motor since it glides like normal and the more throttle I give the more it climbs. I'm using the same 10x5 blade I used on my old stock motor.

At full downward elevator trim on my Tx is it flyable at half throttle or less but still climbs when going into any wind. Is there anything I can do (other than moving the servo connections so neutral elevator has downward deflection) but angle the downward more?
bippitybop is offline Find More Posts by bippitybop
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Try View Post
You will likely have a bent shaft and a bent motor mount . Both are easily repaired .
Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippitybop View Post
It doesn't look to bad, once the cowl is off you will see the extent of the damage. Hot water works great, I filled the biggest pot I could find and put it on the stove and got it really hot and dipped the nose in as far as I could (after taking our electronics, though I let the throttle servo wire plug get wet to be honest.
I used a coffee mug to scoop up the hot water and pour it over the parts I couldn't get into the water, I did that repeatedly and it straightened everything up nice, see a few pages back for pics of my crash.

I have a question for those of you who upgraded your motor, what kind of downward thrust angle did you use? I put this: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=25077 (direct fit to the stock bracket for those wondering) on my Sensei but it won't stop climbing under any power. At first I had no downward thrust, I then put 2 washer on the upper motor bracket screws so it is angling down 5 or 10 degrees but it still climbs if I give it any power. I didn't really notice any difference after anlging it down to be honest, but I only flew it once or twice in high winds. I'm sure it's the motor since it glides like normal and the more throttle I give the more it climbs. I'm using the same 10x5 blade I used on my old stock motor.

At full downward elevator trim on my Tx is it flyable at half throttle or less but still climbs when going into any wind. Is there anything I can do (other than moving the servo connections so neutral elevator has downward deflection) but angle the downward more?
thanks guys for your advice I got everything off, motor shaft looks good, but the mount is bent, going to and bend it back into place, shouldn't be too bad. The other question I had once I got everything apart I found the nose gear mount parts, do I need to remove all of that before I drop it in boiling water? There is some plastic bits, and balsa parts. if I do have to remove them any tips? It looks like if I cut it in half down the seam that would work. Would I have to do the entire fuse or just enough to get those parts out? Also do I need to remove the mount for the motor that is attached to the foam? I wasn't planning on it, but once I saw the balsa and plastic thats where I had questions.
fluffybunny is offline Find More Posts by fluffybunny
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:36 PM
United States, ID, Rathdrum
Joined Oct 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
thanks guys for your advice I got everything off, motor shaft looks good, but the mount is bent, going to and bend it back into place, shouldn't be too bad. The other question I had once I got everything apart I found the nose gear mount parts, do I need to remove all of that before I drop it in boiling water? There is some plastic bits, and balsa parts. if I do have to remove them any tips? It looks like if I cut it in half down the seam that would work. Would I have to do the entire fuse or just enough to get those parts out? Also do I need to remove the mount for the motor that is attached to the foam? I wasn't planning on it, but once I saw the balsa and plastic thats where I had questions.
Don't worry about the ply parts. They will hold up fine. The foam trick is really quick. You don't want to keep it in the hot water to long or it will expand past its original shape.
Rayn is offline Find More Posts by Rayn
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
Don't worry about the ply parts. They will hold up fine. The foam trick is really quick. You don't want to keep it in the hot water to long or it will expand past its original shape.
you were exactly right it didnt take long at all. I had some a little problem that my pot wasn't big enough but I got it to work out ok. It is less crushed now. I have held the pieces together and it looks pretty good, I'm sure once I get everything glued back together everything will be good. I will post pics of my repair once I glue everything probably tomorrow, giving it a day for the foam to dry out.
fluffybunny is offline Find More Posts by fluffybunny
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
Joined May 2009
3,464 Posts
Nice Job!

Some glues, like Gorilla glue, actually require the parts to be a little wet/moist.
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Today, 01:11 PM
Canada, NL, Clarenville
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Sensei Still Grounded

Thanks FR4-Pilot for the pics of the gear. I am still waiting on a servo for my Sensei's Nose Gear and rudder. My LHS didn't have anything that fit correctly so they had to order one and the supplier is back ordered until the end of the month. I figure shipping to my part of the continent is going to take another 2-3 weeks so it could be a while before I get back into the air. To make matters worse I lost my Champ up in a tree while trying to fly it in too heavy winds and broke off the tail section in the process of getting it down. Its been a hard month. On the bright side I just ordered some parts to attempt my first foamie build. Thinking of an FT Delta or FT Flyer.
NL466RCFlyer is online now Find More Posts by NL466RCFlyer
Old Today, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2009
3,464 Posts
If you don't need to use the drop door you could 'borrow' that servo for rudder/nose wheel - I did when one of my aileron servos crapped out.

Sorry to hear about your tree landing. At least you got it back. I'd like to hear how that foamie build goes ....

I just picked up a used Apprentice 15e and am in the process of getting it ready .... keeping fingers and toes crossed
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Today, 03:15 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Thinking of an FT Delta or FT Flyer.
Did a FT 3D, flies great, Used Hobby Lobby foam so it is a bit heavier
than advertised but works.

Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber