HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post
.....I had never thought about that Brosol, I'm sure It's possible, The Twingo looks like a very capable heli, I'm sure that bell-hiller mod would do wonders for it and really make it shine! Hey EQMOD!! We have an assignment for you!!!
I was just wondering if a Bell Hiller mod was applied to a 4ch Eflite or Twingo, would it fix the issues that make RC tandems flying like drunk hippos?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
From what I understand from other threads, the grapple works best with the tandem if it is extended, keeping the heli out of its own ground effect bubble.

I've been trying to track down a vendor for those cnc swashplates that has them in stock, but so far all the places I've found are sold out If anyone happens across a pair post it up will ya?
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
Springfield, VA USA
Joined Sep 2008
363 Posts
The E-Flite Tandem design solves the most serious control issues I encountered in the Twister Skylift. Its frame and lower mass are less subject to mast vibration. Its differential front and rear rotor speed control of fore and aft movement make it less susceptible to "rocking horse oscillation" when it is throttled back to descend. That oscillation was often a prelude to loss of Skylift control, so E-Flite's design of their Tandem is a really welcome improvement.

That said, tandems are by design, trucks. They are built to carry cargo, and need to be flown a little differently from other co-axials. A truck can be as much fun as a Porsche and a lot more useful.
AH-64 D is online now Find More Posts by AH-64 D
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
I wonder how a NE 227A Twingo will fly with EQMOD's Bell-Hiller mods.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332806
EQMOD likes to use Walkera 4#3 head parts on every heli he can make them fit on. He demonstates a great deal of ingenuity, but that doesn't make it a good idea. The Walkera 4#3 was the most difficult heli there is to fly.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
EQMOD likes to use Walkera 4#3 head parts on every heli he can make them fit on. He demonstates a great deal of ingenuity, but that doesn't make it a good idea. The Walkera 4#3 was the most difficult heli there is to fly.
I agree with this actually. Although I think it still would be very interesting to see a bell-hiller modded tandem rescue, you have to look at the cost-to-benefit ratio. Since the two swashplates only influence aileron roll, that means ultimately only aileron inputs would benefit from the mod.

So it would be the same amount of work for half the performance improvement (Theoretically speaking). That being said, however, a tandem heli's weakest in roll authority, so maybe it would put its performance on par with say an mCX but with greater lift capacity...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
The_Shrub, have you received and tried out your eflite yet? I finally got mine in today. Only one brief flight on it but just did some gentle turns to try out the response. It seems decent in response but the body doesn't seem like it will hold up well (if it's anything like my NE Solo canopy). I only did mode 1 since it was the first flight so will try mode 2 later today. It seemed like the s026's I've got would out run so will try the other mode for comparison.

It's a good looking piece but I just don't know how well it'll hold up compared to what I've seen Jr. do to the S026's, like hitting the wall and doing a 15' drop onto a hard floor.
trsills is offline Find More Posts by trsills
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsills View Post
The_Shrub, have you received and tried out your eflite yet? I finally got mine in today. Only one brief flight on it but just did some gentle turns to try out the response. It seems decent in response but the body doesn't seem like it will hold up well (if it's anything like my NE Solo canopy). I only did mode 1 since it was the first flight so will try mode 2 later today. It seemed like the s026's I've got would out run so will try the other mode for comparison.

It's a good looking piece but I just don't know how well it'll hold up compared to what I've seen Jr. do to the S026's, like hitting the wall and doing a 15' drop onto a hard floor.
I'm considering snapping up a replacement canopy or two on ebay soon just in case...

Ya, my tandem is still snaking its way through the usps chain on its way to the Canada border. Once its on Canuck soil, I'll update ya'll but for now all I can do is wait ... oh and fly my other helis
Old Feb 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
The eflite tandem landed in canada customs sometime today

Should be getting it tomorrow... If not its gonna be a LONNNGG weekend :P

Oh and a video review hot on its heels!!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Not to rub it in but just did a flight with mine. Been meaning to shoot some video as well. It's fun to kind of cruise around in what seems like slow motion. I think it's making me go easier on the sticks versus just hammering away like I sometimes do with the NE. This is my first eflite and everything seems uber smooth.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
Not to rub it in but just did a flight with mine. Been meaning to shoot some video as well. It's fun to kind of cruise around in what seems like slow motion. I think it's making me go easier on the sticks versus just hammering away like I sometimes do with the NE. This is my first eflite and everything seems uber smooth.
Nice to hear your tandem is treating ya well!! Its too bad that I didnt get the priviledge to learn 4ch on a tandem...

Post video soon!!! I need something to hold me over!! :P

It woulda saved me a ton of falcon 8913 blades if I had learnt 4ch on the eflite tandem! (I've already broke 2 lower ones, and replace 2 other lower ones due to massive carnage to the leading edge, oh and one top blade )

First thing I'm going to do is hook up my micro camera to the inside of the fuselage, fashion a grapple and go fishing for rescuers :P I hope I get some decent angles with a camera mounted Inside the heli facing down at the hook
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
I just started flying in Jan but have a Nine Eagles 4ch coax as well as Jr. and I have some 3ch birds. So I've been playing with a 4ch for a month or so. It's still pretty different between the Nine Eagles and the eFlite even though the controls are the same the responsiveness and handling are completely different.

I've also been dealing with what I think now is a failing lower motor cause the NE just drops like a bad habit every once in a while. It's not losing power to the board but the motor completely stops. I just got a shipment in today with new canopies and skids for the NE only to break 1 skid in first 2 min of flight cause motor shut off. So I put the NE away and went back to the trusty eFlight.

There's just something mellow about flying tandems. Have to say the Syma's are rock solid. We've got a few s026's and was letting my 5yr old even learn to fly with it. Man they take a pounding.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Quote:
I just started flying in Jan but have a Nine Eagles 4ch coax as well as Jr. and I have some 3ch birds. So I've been playing with a 4ch for a month or so. It's still pretty different between the Nine Eagles and the eFlite even though the controls are the same the responsiveness and handling are completely different.

I've also been dealing with what I think now is a failing lower motor cause the NE just drops like a bad habit every once in a while. It's not losing power to the board but the motor completely stops. I just got a shipment in today with new canopies and skids for the NE only to break 1 skid in first 2 min of flight cause motor shut off. So I put the NE away and went back to the trusty eFlight.

There's just something mellow about flying tandems. Have to say the Syma's are rock solid. We've got a few s026's and was letting my 5yr old even learn to fly with it. Man they take a pounding.

This is my fave s026g... i'm gonna sna one up sometime son
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
RECIEVED MY mCX TANDEM!!!!

Just got it from the post office and finished up an unboxing video, lipo's charging as we speak...

Updates soon!!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
Two tandems are better than one!!!

So I have had a double-header of Tandem fun this past weekend!! I finally got around to getting my S022 In the air and that girl is BEASTLY!!!

I've also been logging tons of flying time on my ch-113 Eflite tandem, and I gotta say that it is by far my favorite heli yet!! The control and precision I have with it far surpasses any other heli I currently own and its just getting more and more fun the more I fly her! Below are a few pics of my Tandems on the helipad. Stay tuned for more as I have in the works for the Eflite Tandem.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
mCX Grapple

Just got my mCX Grapple kit from BoomTownHobbies and WOW! Is it ever fun!! I'm enjoying this heli more and more! I think Eflite really got the formula right with this one!!! Now if there was only some way to get rid of the horrible rotor wash these tandems throw off

I'm officially classifying my MCX tandem as my fav. heli in my hangar!!!