HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by SkylineFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:32 AM
I make bad look so good.
SteveC68's Avatar
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
The PZ15090 that I got from Hobbypartz has a fiber-reinforced plastic trunion. There are brass threaded inserts on either side of the trunion that are used to anchor the strut to the trunion. I've run mine through a bunch of cycles and so far so good. I haven't installed them in a plane yet.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
Ken Lilja's Avatar
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
Trunion

Steve,
Thanks. This Jetiger project is getting out of hand! 40% more power, reshaped inlets, retracts, new finish........
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
The PZ15090 that I got from Hobbypartz has a fiber-reinforced plastic trunion. There are brass threaded inserts on either side of the trunion that are used to anchor the strut to the trunion. I've run mine through a bunch of cycles and so far so good. I haven't installed them in a plane yet.
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ken Lilja; May 20, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
Maxthrottle's Avatar
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
To these have or need a metal trunnion?
Ken
What's the proper spelling on Trunnion? Trunnion comes up in the dictionary but trunion doesn't.

Have you seen the PZ15094 available somewhere yet? Its not likely for PZ to change the material used on the trunnion if its already working. So as Steve commented a polyfibre. Hopefully they still add the brass insert to lock strut rods in place.
The PZ15094 may have been made as a tail wheel solution since its rated at 1.5kg.

If you found some somewhere please let us know.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2011, 04:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
What's the proper spelling on Trunnion? Trunnion comes up in the dictionary but trunion doesn't.

Have you seen the PZ15094 available somewhere yet? Its not likely for PZ to change the material used on the trunnion if its already working. So as Steve commented a polyfibre. Hopefully they still add the brass insert to lock strut rods in place.
The PZ15094 may have been made as a tail wheel solution since its rated at 1.5kg.

If you found some somewhere please let us know.
PZ15094????

here we go :-) ($11)
http://www.toysonics.com/digital-ser...15094-1pc.html

it is also being used as tail gear on those FMS 1.4m warbirds ($16)
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/1943
tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
No guts No glory
Hansi1959's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
review HK 514 retracts

I am using the HK 514 retracts in a Jepe Fast Foam / Hobby Top Gun L-39. The AUW of the plane is 3,6 kg (+/- 8lb) with 8 servo's (added flaps and rudder), 2x4S 5000 Nanotech lipo and epoxy glassed.
Have over 30 flights on the plane and 2 or 3 heavy landings in the beginning but the retracts hold up very very well! (to my surprise...).
Most starts & landings were from grass.
I'm using the trailing struts from Jet Teng Models. They are stronger and shorter (so less torque on the retract unit) then the ones suplied with the Top Gun kit and look very good.
At first I tried the Fly Fly e-retracts but they suck big time!
They failed to work most of the time on the test bench so I never installed them in the plane. Waste of money!
Cheers, Hans
Hansi1959 is offline Find More Posts by Hansi1959
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:15 PM
Registered User
SilentHunter's Avatar
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Best value and toughest/most reliable IMO?

Lander metal mechanicals (~$25 for 3) with a good Hitec servo Drill trunnion out to suit strut (within reason!)

Great thread, finally got to reading through it some. I've been though lots of these gear. Very hit and miss.

So take a stab, how many companys (or maybe one) are making these Lander/Eflite types that are all physically the same? Are they graded? The "good" ones go to Eflite and Lander, the rest go to Hobbyking?

Or are there different plants making the exact same design?...
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Last edited by SilentHunter; Jun 08, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
I make bad look so good.
SteveC68's Avatar
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Well the Pingzheng PZ15090 retracts from HobbyPartz will NOT be going in my Exceed 70mm Mig-15. The depth required to mount the PZ15090 is ~23mm and the available depth in the wing is 17mm. I'd have to cut a hole right through the wing in order to get them to fit. So whatever retract comes with the Mig must be about 6mm shallower than the PZ retracts. What is the depth of the CS retracts?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
Well the Pingzheng PZ15090 retracts from HobbyPartz will NOT be going in my Exceed 70mm Mig-15. The depth required to mount the PZ15090 is ~23mm and the available depth in the wing is 17mm. I'd have to cut a hole right through the wing in order to get them to fit. So whatever retract comes with the Mig must be about 6mm shallower than the PZ retracts. What is the depth of the CS retracts?
I believe the Exceed Mig-15 has CS retracts on it.
the depth of the CS retracts is 21mm.

Here is a CS on the Mig-15 wing
tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:05 PM
I make bad look so good.
SteveC68's Avatar
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter1 View Post
I believe the Exceed Mig-15 has CS retracts on it.
the depth of the CS retracts is 21mm.

Here is a CS on the Mig-15 wing
I ordered a set of the Mig-15 retracts from Nitroplanes. They are listed under the "spare parts" for the Mig and are only $29 for all three. I wonder if they really are the CS. More than likely they are the PZ15094.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
tom
tomme21's Avatar
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,590 Posts
mig 17 struts from rc lander question

i just received these from ejf.com and although they are listed on roberts site as SUSPENSION struts i cant figure out how they move up and down.

the front wheel IS a suspension strut and it does indeed move up and down, but the mains are another story.
they look like they would move but they are permanent.

does anyone have these?

how do they work,( move up and down)?

am i missing something? i hate to return these as they are perfect for my mirage 2000.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

tom
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Fredrik Pousard, Sweden
fege's Avatar
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Oct 2009
94 Posts
They are RC Lander struts and there should be a spring in the rear tube of the struts. If you press the wheel upward the bottom part should pivot around the fron strut and the suspension should be in the rear one. The top of the rear strut has a thread so you should be able to unscrew it and find a spring inside. I hope this description makes sense.
fege is offline Find More Posts by fege
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
tom
tomme21's Avatar
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fege View Post
They are RC Lander struts and there should be a spring in the rear tube of the struts. If you press the wheel upward the bottom part should pivot around the fron strut and the suspension should be in the rear one. The top of the rear strut has a thread so you should be able to unscrew it and find a spring inside. I hope this description makes sense.
got it. thanks so much, why no instructions are not included beats me.
thank you again, your description worked fine for me and i unscrewed it and found a really stiff spring, i added a little oil and now they work fine.

tom
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:05 PM
Fredrik Pousard, Sweden
fege's Avatar
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Oct 2009
94 Posts
You're welcom! No problems. I actually exchanged my springs to softer ones to get my MIG-17 to sit a little more scale. Good luck with the Mirage.
fege is offline Find More Posts by fege
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:09 PM
Registered User
JurassicJet's Avatar
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
483 Posts
I just talked to Mike at WingspanRetracts.com. I am looking for a nice set of electric retracts for my Kfir build (JHH kit). Talked to him at length about the Eflite series and other brands. Sounds like his is similar to Lado quality. Gauranteed to me pretty much that I could mount a Robostrut to it along with a 4" wheel and it would work no problem. Eflite will not do that.
He did point out that they are a few weeks away from actually being available (as a stand alone gear) and that they had a retract time of about 12-14 seconds. Said he was working on a faster set for us jet guys. I was very impressed talking to him and the video on the website looks good.

http://www.wingspanretracts.com/Std_Retracts
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:13 PM
Registered User
LuvEvolution7's Avatar
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
they also sell an electric drive, so you can convert your air retracts to electric. that might be another good option. I'm considering them for the flap drives on an upcoming project.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data Comprehensive List of Batteries, Chargers, Motors, ESC, Gyros, etc. w/ Specifications write2dgray Batteries and Chargers 408 May 15, 2014 11:56 AM
Discussion PLEASE HELP- Wher to list Dumas Star 45 for sale on Long Island LCS Sailboats 1 Jul 02, 2010 07:04 AM
Data What pack should I get? An updated comprehensive list Vaffel Batteries and Chargers 20 Feb 10, 2010 06:30 AM
Comprehensive Gearbox List valkyrie83 Power Systems 0 Sep 02, 2004 01:09 PM