HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:50 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Ya know what Wayne? i'll bring up that question @ Sore Sock meeting tonight! ( Highstart line width)
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:50 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
OK Wayne: here's few parameters for the considerations:
1)Which (type)birds are being launched? ( this part went to our guys Playing the top dog game, just push the pedal all the way into the sod, and zoom on top.
2) Lots of experimenting was done earlier with heavy line on the grass side, and lighter on the air side of the line, whith no major differences.
3) the turnaround has the biggest 'say' in launches: back in the 'olden days' when we 'tapped' our way to the top, and "zoomed" a few feet high, one fella was @ the turnaround watching the activities. the smaller the diameter, the worse the effects= small diameter turnarounds would bind up, and one would see the "see saw" action, as the line would basically maintain a point of location, ( as one winch tells you) when the launch load gets heavy, binding of the ( bicycle hub) diameters would freeze, and the lines would wear @ that location- lots of heat.
the larger diameter turnarounds would rotate, keeping the loads into the ground stakes, and the line would simply 'do it's job' ( I've machined 3 of these custom ones)
the bottom line is standard Nylon braid of 100 ( i've never broken any) to 150 lb line.
johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:58 PM
Fair Winds to all
United States, MN, Faribault
Joined Jun 2001
317 Posts
Wayne, the next time I come down, I'll bring my computer and the cords for downloading the Recording Altimeter I've got so we can truly measure what heights planes are getting on launches and in what time if that helps. Most of my Radian launches were not getting 150m in 30 seconds at the No Strings day, but were getting close.
dgoebel is offline Find More Posts by dgoebel
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:54 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,467 Posts
David,

I just read in another thread that you lost a sailplane today. Sorry to hear it.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Sep 07, 2014, 05:26 AM
ddo
Rochester,Mn
Joined Nov 2003
17 Posts
Wayne,

I did not lose a sailplane,it must be some other David,thanks for the response.
ddo is offline Find More Posts by ddo
Old Sep 07, 2014, 09:37 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,467 Posts
Oops, sorry there Dave, I was referring to the Dave from Faribault. See here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=46

Wayne
Old Sep 07, 2014, 09:53 AM
Fair Winds to all
Joined Jun 2001
317 Posts
Yah, First time winch launching since 2005, it was a 15+ year old balsa plane and I was really just out to be out flying on a winch again. the plane flew like a brick, my Radian did much better.... adn now I have a bag of fire starters (G).
It was this...
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:17 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
What a bummer Dave! I do like the shape, though! what airframe ( was) is that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:41 PM
Fair Winds to all
Joined Jun 2001
317 Posts
It was a custom built Chick Hawk, built back in the late 90's by a Texas flyer/builder named Chick.
Had a nice "drooped" fuse too, but was pretty heavy, when the Supra's and Explorer's I was flying against were probably getting 500 - 700 ft launches, the best I got was 325
Old Sep 07, 2014, 05:17 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Dave: please send me an email, so I can get ya "in the loop" AM Beckand I are working out one called a covertible, which is actually 2 birds- a 2M and 100" version, of which one will be sent out. I'm also looking for 2 other guys to join me on my business staus dropbox- 1 T per guy-so we can have some 'fun.
I like it's shape and very close to the convertible!( @ 32 0z and a serious competitor as now!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:50 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,467 Posts
September Event

Hello everybody,

I just want to remind you all that the "All -In" thermal duration event is planned for this coming Saturday. We will be starting at 10:00am with a pilots meeting at 9:30. This event will be a MoM format so please try to get there before the start so I can get you into the flight matrix.

Now I am certain you are wondering why I have decided to call this event the "All-In". Well allow me to explain. How many times have we heard the phrase "it is the pilot and not the plane"? I know I hear it all the time here on RCG. But it is hard to deny the advantage a 3.5 meter carbon sailplane has over a 2 meter woody, both in launch height and performance. I suppose if we were flying a one design event we could positively say it is the pilot and not the plane but that is not a real option for us. So what do we do?

Well many years ago I used to race sailboats, I was never a hard core competitor but I did enjoy running a course and comparing myself to the other skippers. Now in sailboat racing, at least in Lake City, the race organizers would handicap the sailboats in an attempt to even out the advantages one boat design might have over another boat design. My little 14' sailboat was not an especially fast sailboat when compared to a J class racing sailboat so I would get a certain amount of time subtracted from my course time to even the playing field. The All-In event will attempt to do that for sailplanes. Smaller woodies launching off of a hi-start will get a bonus added to their flight time, one for using the hi-start and another for not zooming. Electrics can play as well. Launch to 150 meters and you get no launch bonus, reset your CAM to 100 meters and get a launch bonus.

Hi-starts will be configured for 350' line
The One winch will be run out to 500'
Winches will have turn arounds set to 500'

It might sound crazy but I think it will work. Truly anyone could win this event. You will be rewarded for launching low and not zooming. Now nothing is stopping you from launching hard off the winch and taking a good zoom but you will be giving up points.

Here is an example:

2 meter woody pilot launches from the hi-start, no zoom just floats off of the end. He gets a 100 pt no zoom bonus and a 150 point hi-start bonus. The task time is 10 minutes so he already has almost 4 minutes to his credit and only needs to make a 6+ minute flight to max out. He is only launching to around 300 feet so he better find a little lift.

Now I launch my 3 meter woody from the OneWinch and do not zoom so I will be starting my flight around 420 feet. I get a 100 point no zoom bonus but I will need to fly 8 and a quarter minutes to max out. But I launched a little higher and I am flying a bigger plane so maybe I will make it, maybe not.

Dave launches his fancy red Explorer off the winch and takes a zoom. He gets no bonus points but he will probably level off somewhere north of 500'. He will need to fly a full 10 minute flight to max out. He has launched higher still and has a better performing plane so maybe he will make it.

I think it will be a lot of fun. I am still finalizing the bonus points but I will do my best to make the handicaps as equitable as possible. So bring out those woodies, dust off your e-launch sailplanes and charge up the winch batteries because this is the All-In and may the best pilot win.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,467 Posts
Hello JohnnyDXYZ and Doc993

I have not heard much from either of you this season and just wanted to check to see if all was well. Doc, I know you had surgery and have been recovering from that. How are you doing? JohnnyD, if I recall you said you had been flying a little bit this summer. Still flying for entertainment over at the Spring Valley wood fire pizza place?

Drop us a note and fill us in.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Yesterday at 11:07 PM. Reason: Corrected the surgery type
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,125 Posts
Hi Wayne and every one.I have indeed been recovering from hip replacement surgery.Things are looking up and I'm doing much better.
I have been flying at my home field as much as I can, I bought a V ROC as an ales hack.I REALLY LIKE THIS PLANE. Also I'm still working on my mirage, E cheeta,And E hawk.Also my responsibility's as club pres, and family stuff has kept me way to busy.
I plan on more fun in Rochester but it will probably be next year.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Today, 07:53 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
I sur hear ya on the next year's maximus gear Doc! I'll be looking forward to it!
RCG Plus Member