HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
56 Posts
Discussion
Century Jet F104 Starfighter

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for an F104 Starfighter to build and was wondering about the Century Jet kits. Anyone have any experience with Century Jet, and if so, how would you rate their build process compared to JHH and others.

Thanks,
Steven
chemistrydude is offline Find More Posts by chemistrydude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
S. Cal.
Joined Feb 2006
25 Posts
Dont do it!
There terrible!
The building instruction dont have a singel picture, the mount for the horizontal tail is weak as can be.

The only good thing about it is that it is pretty close to scale.

I have also built a JD Enterprises F104 and it was way easyer to to build. The directions were totally opposite though. There are no words and only pictures to guide you. But I guess a picure is worth a thousand words. The only issue with the JDE is that the fuse is not as scale as a Century or a Avonds.

If I was to build another one I would like try a Jetwelt or Avonds but The price of the JDE is in my range and I may do another.

And if you do build one, any one. Make your first flights with a crazy nose heavy condition. And dont get it slow on final. Read up about the dutch rolls on final with these things. I lost my Wren 54 power JDE on the first flight to a wild stall and dutch roll form hell.

One last thing. If you are into sport flying with lost of verticals and sharp pull outs, this might not be your airframe. With only a few minutes of flying a 104 I learned there really close to the real thing. They dont like G,s or to turn hard or pull out of things hard. About all there good for is flying a oval patterns fast. And at that there still hair ball.

Mine weighted 17lbs at take off. And it had a sport wing that upped the area about 30 % to 40%. And it still loved to depart in a high speed stall at what seamed to be about 2.5 g turn at 100% power.
J Klenske is offline Find More Posts by J Klenske
Last edited by J Klenske; Jan 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM.