HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Thanks! Sounds like it would be fine then. I've been throwing this puppy with about all I have so it probably will work okay. Dang. Now here comes the rain until next July.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Hello guys!

I am new to this thread but have had my SR for a while now. I picked it up a couple of years ago as an RTF and it came with 40amp ESC's and a small 4S pack. At the time, I was new to flying so I had an experience pilot maiden her for me and she seem to fly great. I put it away until mid last year when I got a crazy idea to install two EPF Alloy Fans ( link is here...3700kv units) in my SR. After doing a heck of a lot work, adding 80amp esc's. 10 gauge wire and the fans themselves, I got worried that I couldn't put a battery in it big enough to really power them...and sure enough, with a big 5S pack, I pulled 120amps and 2200 watts... and they were still looking for more. However, the plane was REALLY heavy and so I am back to the drawing board.

It seems the best combo discussed in this thread has been Don's 4000kv motors. I don't have the stock fans anymore so I was curious has anyone used a better aftermarket fan? Is it better just to get the fan/motor/balance combo straight from Don and be done with it?

Oh...I also added rudders and the "whale tail" mod. It made a nice difference for me.
The balanced fan combos are great and well worth the money. Quiet and efficient. Really nice.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
The balanced fan combos are great and well worth the money. Quiet and efficient. Really nice.
Thanks Don. I pulled these units from my SR and replaced them with a power system from a Starmax A-10. That had two 64mm fans, 4300kv motors and I ran it on a 3s....which was exactly the same in the A10....the A10 seemed to fly really well but the SR with the same, flew really slow.

In looking at the weight of alloy fans, they come out to about 6oz each (I will weigh them myself just to make sure). So I may re-install them and weigh the plane again....that might make it fly better.

Don , what fan/motor combo of yours do you recommend?
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Weighed mine today with standard plastic fan/4300kv motor came in at 48 oz's. I am going to see about going back to the alloy fans.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Don , what fan/motor combo of yours do you recommend?
The setup I used was fine for me on 4S. Stock fans with wicked 4000 motor.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The setup I used was fine for me on 4S. Stock fans with wicked 4000 motor.
Thanks. Did I see somewhere in this post that you make and have available thrust tubes for this plane??
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, OH, Perrysburg
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
I've been following this thread since I bought the nitro planes kit a year ago. Unfortunately it has stayed in kit form since the day it arrived at my door and now I must give it up. So if anyone wants another of the nitro plane kits, I have one for sale. Still boxed up, only opened it to see what was included. $35 plus shipping from 43551
yroads is offline Find More Posts by yroads
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
I will take it. Whats your paypal?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Today she made it to 50 flights! Whoo hoo!

Even better, I got one of the flights on video. I decided to put my complete faith in my Flight Angels and put my bulky Contour Roam camera on her back for sortie #48. Checked the CG a few times, lateral stability, everything seemed ready to go. It's only 5 additional ounces but it still made me nervous. She ballooned on me a bit on the hand toss but other than that she was incredibly stable! I think the video really captured the speed of this thing. What fun!

Added bonus: It's cool to know I could put a dummy drone on her back now and turn her into the MD-21 if I want.

SR-71 Blackbird EDF with Contour Roam - AWESOME! (3 min 14 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
MISSION #54

Every plane we buy has an expiration date. Today was hers.

My son was out from NJ for the week and I wanted to show him the old man in his natural habitat - flying some of my planes. It was cloudy and cold with a lot of glare. The handtoss was normal, the first pattern was fine. As I was heading on the downwind leg, I just lost it. It wobbled slightly and even though I knew what the orientation was, I simply tried to adjust the elevon and it turned the opposite way of what I thought I was doing and she rolled, I panicked and she exploded into terra firma.

I dumb thumbed it.

I wasn't really that upset about it. It was almost the feeling of, "Well, holy cow, I can't believe I actually got 54 flights out of the same airframe."

I have my spare airframe hanging up and ready to go. I will be plopping Don's components in the new airframe in time for Spring.

The obsession, the madness, the fun continues!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Germany, HE, Hanau
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
UAfterburnerz

Hi,
it seems i always by models, that are quite old on the market. Therefore great addons may not be still available. I love the afterburners made by Joe1320, is this system still available?
Thanks in advance for an answer
Merry Christmas
Joachim
boeing777 is offline Find More Posts by boeing777
Last edited by boeing777; Dec 24, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: not satisfied with the original
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing777 View Post
Hi,
it seems i always by models, that are quite old on the market. Therefore great addons may not be still available. I love the afterburners made by Joe1320, is this system still available?
Thanks in advance for an answer
Merry Christmas
Joachim
Yes, the afterburners are available.... Just shoot me a pm.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Here's Number 10. Just transferred Don's system into her. CG checks out, throws are good to go. We'll see if she survives the maiden and if so, how long she survives until her expiration date.

10 is an even number. I've had my fun with the SR-71. This will be my last for a very long time, if not ever.

Que Sera, Sera!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:41 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,774 Posts
Go Lucky #10 !!!!
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
She survived the maiden, let's see how sorties #2 and #3 go today!

Happy New Year!
RCG Plus Member