Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Steve

Thanks for the fine words, and you can't not have a life long passion for woody gliders when you [Me ] joined a glider club in 1980'.

And the member list of noteable weekly flyers were Ed Slobd ' Paragon - Paramount - Gemini MTS - Ridge Rat etc
Blane Rawden - Mirage
Dick Odle - RO8
Bill Watson - Goose

Well when you have that list of scratch builders & designers to mentor you into building your own planes you get a course in ' Sailplane building 101 ' real quick.

Boy that was sure great times for sure.

Joining the ' San Fernando Valley Silent Flyers ' was one the best things i have ever done in my life.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
I have a real charger, a nice $50 one. It does what I need, when and how I need it. I just need to pop the hood of the truck to use it. It does a fine job. I would have gotten the one with AC capability, but didn't want to spend the $80. Was unemployed then. (like now)

The only batteries I've been having problems with (and that problem turned out to be a too-short boss preventing a good connection with the springs in the camera) were just some cheap-a$$ AAs for the camera. Nothin RC, nothing doing. Even so, I have a charger coming that will treat the camera batts like royalty, AND will plug into the wall. Nice. It just won't do LiPos, but the $50 truck-style one will.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Guys, can we give the batteries a rest, please? Or at least read my previous replies to everyone before telling me to get a new charger or whatever, so I don't have to tap it out again on this stupid little screen. They're just stupid AAs for the stupid digital camera. And the problem wasn't even the batteries' guts either, just a short boss and a long spring in the camera. They're fine. (with a little dab of solder) Anything to do with a Tx pack had absolutely nothing to do with charging. It had a bad cell, it was replaced. Easy.

I'm not mad. Just.... exasperated.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:12 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I have an RC-type charger coming that will roast a goose while dancing a jig as it charges either my RC stuff or my regular, standard, no tails attached AAs. 'Nuff said, right?

Sorry Katie. we is dumb sometimes. or I am anyway.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:32 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
If I dig really really hard, I could show ya a gull winged Paragon- I was a young dumb one then----
I would gladly trade something for that image Captain.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,793 Posts
Among the old sailplanes from the 70's, I was always impressed with Carl Lorber's designs.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hey Stinker-

For your charger you say "pop the hood of the truck", is this to access 12VDC from your truck battery? If so, forget that and just get a PC desktop power supply and tap into the 12VDC side of one of the connectors. You should be able to find a PS for $5-10 or even free somewhere. That way you can use your charger indoors.

G Don-

Your display sounds grand! If you get some good sparkly incandecent bulbs in it, your gold will light up the room with all the reflection going on.

Stevers-

Your right about our society of fat arse kids these days but I too remember as a child living with the bomb, I didn't sleep either when I realized what it was. Working with my hands help to forget about it, somewhat anyways .

Jeff-

I don't have to shop for classic kits. By the time I get around to building what I have, the kits will have made that class .

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi DW

The lamp bodys will almond color so when the light in dimmed down low , the light's will have a golden glow to them for a neat room lighting.

Ever since the Gov made us use flouresent bulbs incandesent bulbs sure have a way too short life span, sure hope it gets changed back.

I guess i will have to buy a stash of incandesent bulbs just for the case lights.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
You've been forced to use incandescent bulbs? Must be a Cali thing?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
No, they're tying to force us to use CFLs. :barf:
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Oh, goody goody goody! Lookit what I got! Niiiice and flat and newish. (yes, it has an airfoil, it's subtle )

Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
No, they're tying to force us to use CFLs. :barf:
Yep! I went "prepper" mode and got a large super-secret stash of incandescent but I'm actually going LEDs slowly but surely where I can in the casa.
Don, I know Carl Lorber had some great stuff but can't remember names right now. Can you throw some out there?

Katie and Don, I'm sending Katie a 12V power supply along with a couple of other things so she's covered there. She's gonna be achargin' her little heart out anywhere she wants. .
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks,Sean, you're the charger king!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I know Carl Lorber had some great stuff but can't remember names right now. Can you throw some out there?
The one that comes to my mind is the Thermal Queen.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
The one that comes to my mind is the Thermal Queen.
Pete Carr wrote an article about the Thermal Queen in R/C Soaring Digest (June 2011).
Carl Lorber also designed the Gaggler.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo