Do you like the size of the plane?
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:50 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah I think the size is good, I don't think as a biplane I would want to go too much bigger definitely no bigger than 70" so the 60" span suits well.

I've already got my next build here waiting to start once this one is finished. It's a StevensAero SkyBoy 600, should make a nice change of pace and gives me a more casual sport plane for just throwing around.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:22 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Well i've just been outside sanding the cowl glass work. Looks ready to cover I think, couple little areas to touch up but they should only take 10 mins. Once i'm happy with it i'll get it covered and mounted and then i'll mount up the motor, i'm starting to consider the Motrolfly again though.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
That is looking VERY Good
On sport rates it is a real pussy cat

The Motro Fly has a very good reputation, Which one are you looking at?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Thanks!

Unfortunately progress has come to a stop and will do for a couple more days, we've just had two rooms in the house painted and we're swapping the rooms around (study is now my sons room and vise versa) so the house is a total mess as every last bit of spare room is full of books, clothing, and furntiture etc. But once all thats done I can get onto the job of finishing it off. It won't really matter much as i'm working this weekend, next weekend i'm covering someone else, and the weekend after that we're away for the weekend and during the weeks i'm either working or am watching my son, so there isn't much chance of me getting to the field for a maiden but i'm going to try and squeeze one in sometime.

I've got two motors here I could use, a Motrolfly 5320 260kv and a Torque F3a 220kv, i'm planning on running 10s so i'm a bit worried I might be pushing the Motrolfly too hard if I try to spin a 20"-21" prop.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:45 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
My original intent was to use a 19"-20" prop, I could not get the WATT's with them so using a 21" Torque is very noticeable with the 21"

I would go with the most efficient motor, and changing if you already have both would be no big deal.

Dennis
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Well I started covering the cowl yesterday, I got the aft section sorted quickly enough but then quickly started the head scratchign about how to cover the forward radius'd section. Tried to just heat and stretch which failed dismally but I ended up coming up with a solution that worked but i'll have to take some pictures, to hard for me to explain. But I imagine it's probably a common technique. So only 3/4 of the radius section diameter to go then I can mount it in place, fit the motor, ESC, wheels, cover/finalise mounting for lower hatch, finish up the radio install and it should be ready to go.

On other matters I'm picking up an old VK models 1/6 scale 56" Sopwith Camel kit on Saturday. So once the M12 is finished, i'll build the SA Skyboy which should be a pretty quick and easy build and then i'll start on the Camel! The building board is getting a workout.

Oh and some pics of the house reno stuff. We ended up getting a painter in to do the painting $640 to paint two rooms, pretty hard price to argue with. Along with some trips to ikea and you end up with this.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Cowl ready for fitting. Once it's fitted i'll add my trim lines and pin stripes.

Excuse the poor photos.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
more power=almost enough
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Sep 2003
495 Posts
I like it. When I first saw the photo of the cowl with the white stripes, the center one, I thought that was how you were going to finish it, kinda like a sunburst. I thought that would look really cool. Don't get me wrong, I like the finished product. Like I said it looks cool.

Nice looking rooms too, we have to paint two of our rooms in our house this winter... Anyway so says my wife.

Kerry
JetTech is offline Find More Posts by JetTech
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
I like it. When I first saw the photo of the cowl with the white stripes, the center one, I thought that was how you were going to finish it, kinda like a sunburst. I thought that would look really cool.
Kerry
Yeah it does look pretty cool like that, and I did think of having the opposite tooth in red but i'd already started and I had free handed it up to then so the pattern wasn't precise enough for me to be happy. But I think once i've added the trim strips and the pin striping it will end up looking pretty sharp, as it is currently it looks pretty plain. But yeah next plane with a round cowl (maybe not the camel since it's not likely a scale scheme) i'll definitely be looking at doing a pattern like that because it looks pretty cool!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
Looks nice, and covering the radius is a real PITA but it looks like you got it right.

Dennis
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
Last week end I made it down to the Lodi Huck fest. I was able to take the Unobtainum and had a good time flying

Kyle" "The Alien" Woyshnis was there, he had driven down from Washington to fly. It was a treat to watch him, actually I have been watching kyle fly since he was doing demos for
E flightlineyears ago. still doing his signiture rolling harrior low,

I had a oppertunity to talk to himm on the flight line and ask him to fly the Unobtainium and he agreed. All I can say is WOW!!! He took of rolled and then maade a 180* turn and headed down wind, started rolling and brought it back to the runway, still rolling, He did at least 200' rolling on the deck in high high alpha with only inches between runway and wing/rudder. Climbed ouut flipped it around and harriored back to a nearly tail drag and pulled into a hover right on the deck.

It was a treat to hear him coment during the flight about how well it flew how well it tracked. loooong slow rolls point rolls and snaps flips and tumbles..

No camera and no video bummer.

It will be a long time before this plane gets that low again, but thanks Kyle.

Dennis
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I had a oppertunity to talk to himm on the flight line and ask him to fly the Unobtainium and he agreed. All I can say is WOW!!! He took of rolled and then maade a 180* turn and headed down wind, started rolling and brought it back to the runway, still rolling, He did at least 200' rolling on the deck in high high alpha with only inches between runway and wing/rudder. Climbed ouut flipped it around and harriored back to a nearly tail drag and pulled into a hover right on the deck.

It was a treat to hear him coment during the flight about how well it flew how well it tracked. loooong slow rolls point rolls and snaps flips and tumbles..

No camera and no video bummer.

It will be a long time before this plane gets that low again, but thanks Kyle.

Dennis
Awesome! Shame about the no camera though.

There hasn't been as much progress as i'd like due to work my son and wife have both been sick in that order, so haven't had much time to work on the M12, but I have got the cowl mounted and the motor fitted. I ended up fitting the Motrolfly as the mounting pattern worked better.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,453 Posts
The cowling looks good, nice job and clean motor instulation.

How many WATTs is it rated for?

Dennis
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Thanks, I haven't added the trim to the cowl yet but there wouldn't be much of that to see in that image anyway since most of the trimming will be on the upper half.

It should easily handle 2000w all day continuous, with say 2500w for 30sec bursts and say 3000w in shorter bursts say under 10secs. I don't really know how many it will do yet, since I don't have all the specs so as to run them through a calc, but I would expect say 3000w-3300w probably on fresh packs with a 20" prop.
Last edited by luke352; Oct 17, 2012 at 09:21 PM.