HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Thanks Bruce and James, I like the looks of my 38 I want to give it all the chance in the world to keep looking good.
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
This guy, incredibly, is still flying. Addition of a DuBro 1/2A steering nose gear and good sized tire have made landings a lot easier. I usually only fly it in winter when the grass is dead and limp. These are from last Saturday.

dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:13 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
127 Posts
My GWS P-38 is a great flyer, just a lot of fun. I don't fly it that often because I am really bad at landing it. I have about 4 other planes that are all tail-draggers, and I tend to scrape up the bottom of the P-38 every time I land. I've tried landing it in the grass a couple of times, and it always nose-overs and jacks-up the cowlings.

Next time i'm out in an area with a large asphalt parking area I will definitely get her back up in the air.
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
This mod has made grass landings way better, at least in winter. It is strong, doesn't collapse or bend out of shape, and absorbs a lot of the energy of the landing. I know exactly what you are talking about on the nose overs. The nose gear only costs 5 to 10 dollars. Replacing that tiny wheel with a bigger one has also helped a lot. The new bigger tire is not shown.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:48 AM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
127 Posts
Thanks dLdV, that's a great idea! I'd love to fly the P-38 more.

I'm going to pick up that nose gear next time i'm at Hobbytown. What size wheel did you end up settling on?
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Hi overthebars. The wheel is 1 3/4" by 1/2". It taxis across grass really well now, at least in winter. The former is 1/8" aircraft ply and the mount is not giving any problems, nice and solid. I had to extend the length of the landing gear. I spliced on music wire by just epoxying telescoped diameters of tubing with lots of epoxy. I used carbon fiber, aluminum, aluminum from inside out, but probably any tubing will work in three layers. The aluminum and carbon fiber were just what I had on hand. That has also not had any problems.

I'm really pleased with the mod. The gear has enough springiness that on a hard landing the plane gracefully bounces back into the air a little, instead of the collapse/flip/smash it used to do with the stock gear. Looks pretty cool when it does that. This has definitely taken the dread of landing out of flying the plane.
Last edited by dLdV; Feb 07, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:16 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
My P-38 Lightning finaly maidened

I built it after it came out some time ago. Was just another hanger queen. I thought it flew well after some trimming. I found it pulled left with the torque and 2 right hand GWS-e props. i have added washers on the left motors to cancel that left torque.I found the motors just adequate amd I flew it full throttle almost the whole flight.

But then it had a good side that for a twin small motors they were efficient with the amps usage. This also flew more scale like speeds. I used the plastic nose and spinners as molds for making the parts in fiberglass and saved the plastic ones.

The plane has been extensivly strengthened with CF rods. The fuselage full length, the 2 booms, elevator, and a full length in the wing also.

9-2-12 - P-38 Lightning - Maiden (3 min 30 sec)

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Good to hear. I forgot all about this thread. I was given one of these by a friend of a friend who decided to build it as a single prop on the front of the gondola. I don't know why he was surprised it flew lousy.

I have a bunch of stuff to finish it. Just need to get it going.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:56 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,375 Posts
Great Job Neon!
I'm hoping to 'play mine up this winter!- at work- with 3 new pilots- nope the newbies won't be flyin'!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Thanks guys,
I am happy with her. It's a nice success story and a great looking plane in the sky. . I hope GWS makes a strong comeback. There planes are al nice with a little thought in making them sturdier with CF especially in the fuselages.
**Neons** Bob
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Nice one, Bob.

I have the EPO 38 still NIB. Does anybody here fly the EPO version and think it warrants all the carbon reinforcements as well? Would like to keep it light as I can but may still glue some rods in the tail booms.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
618 Posts
I'm glad to see activity in this thread. I'm going to start building mine soon!
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
At the very least rod the booms about 1.5 inches into the rudders. if you make it without landing gear. Skidding in the grass witll rip both rudders out ahead of them.
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
281 Posts
Gws p-38

Flying my GWS P-38 at Hawk Field, Mansfield, TX
This is the second flight of this bird. It is stock with the exception of new paint and the ESC's have been moved to the engine cowls. Running 2208-18T brushless motors and Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC's, E-flight 2100 mAh 3S 20C battery. Great flying bird. Here is the video.
GWS P-38 (5 min 41 sec)
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Great flight. I see the same charecteristics in my plane also. They are very similar in speed also. It is a very good looking plane in flight. That is a nice flying field. Pavement is nice too. I rather fly over hay than a cornfield. I lost and luckily found my 2 planes that went in. 2 other guys went in and got chopped up when harvest day came along.
**Neons** Bob