HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2005, 05:47 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,245 Posts
Building a Bob Martin Pussycat

I just got a bob martin pussycat in the mail today and am looking to get started. Has anyone built one of these with a 3 piece wing before? For those not familar, it is a 2m 3 panel wing with panels of equal length. I seem to recall that the Two Tee with simlar wing used 1/4" wooden dowels for joiners and the Gentle Lady used 1/8" wires. Both seem a little weak, anyone have experience? Maybe some 1/4" carbon dowels?

Kristopher
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Here is some information on modifications to make to the pussycat to assist in longevity and flyability. I currently have bobcat waiting to be covered.. similar but the bobact has a flatter wing looks like w/ailerons. (search on pussycat within the page below)

http://www.ccdemo.info/SportsAndHobb...Sailplane.html

Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:16 PM
Joined May 2003
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will read through it. I started on the fuse last night, the ply sides where badly warped.

My first airplane was a Bobcat. Interesting airplane, flew okay, but required a lot of aileron differential, IIRC.

Kristopher
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:33 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I'll keep that in mind when I get aroiund to hooking it up.. .thanks for the heads up !
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2003
1,245 Posts
I decided to go with a 5/16 hollow 6061-T6 aluminum rods at the poly breaks. If it looks like they will be too flexible I will add some carbon in the middle of the rods, but I seriously doubt it will be an issue.

Kristopher
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:27 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Any pics?
Mike
Old Apr 15, 2005, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2003
1,245 Posts
Not yet, I will try to get some this weekend.

Kristopher
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:08 AM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
Reviving an oldie here...

What ever became of this Bob Martin Pussycat? I have been given a short kit build, and It will end up as my winter project.

I have found it kind of hard to find much info about this 2M bird...the link at the top of this thread is an excellent start.

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Old Dec 12, 2006, 04:40 AM
Joined Feb 2006
945 Posts
I built two Pussy Cats (both from Bob Martin kits) around 20 years ago. Brilliant, simple glider. Very forgiving in almost any conditions. I even sloped them in ridiculously high winds, with three or four used AA bateries as ballast. I high-started them, flew them with a pilon on top and a Cox.049. The first aero-tows in these parts were also done with one of my pussy-cats.

I dont think it worth the effort to make a three-piece wing. The multi-hedral wing, even though 78", seems to fit almost any place in the car. (much easier than a straight, 78" wing) Only place not recommended is straight across seat of small car. 5-year-old slamming door does tend to shorten wings.

Very good, very cheap, very easy to fly/repair. Best conceivable way to teach yourself to fly. Good luck with it and just follow Bob Martin's instructions and it will fly, very well. Period. It will be a long time before you have a more enjoyable piece of kit.

Cheers,

Christopher
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
See you at the slope...
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2004
75 Posts
Hey guys,

I was just looking at my PussyCat over the weekend. I built it new about 12 years ago and recovered the wing a couple of years ago. Mostly per instructions (one-piece wing always fit in my car), but I did make the rudder a little bigger (see picture).

I had a few Gentle/Sophisticated Lady's and wanted to try something different. I think it is built much better than the Goldberg gliders, but the thicker airfoil didn't impress me on the slope. I imagine it would thermal better though.

Unfortunately, I don't have any radio gear in it now (moved into composite ships). Maybe I'll set her up and try out the hightstart I have sitting in the garage.

Thanks for the motivation,

slope'
slopensoar is offline Find More Posts by slopensoar
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
945 Posts
Don't worry about the thickish airfoil, just ballast it on the slope with anything over about 15knots. Don't forget to take it out on the high-start, though, as you could end up applauding!

Re the radio: hell, I had two bog-standard servos and an orange-box size receiver from the 70's in mine and flew countless hours, with no problems except running out of battery (500mah(?) did not last too long with the big, old servos and the steam-driven receiver. Even when the battery did run out it just flew itself. You just had to follow it!

I wish I had one right now, I could land that thing better than anything before or since. It was not exactly aerobatic, come to think of it, nor too quick. The F3f turns were non existant, but so was F3F.....
Nostalgia, terrible desease.

Cheers,

Christopher
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:12 PM
See you at the slope...
Sacramento, CA
Joined Nov 2004
75 Posts
I had a couple of standard size servos in mine also. Hence the bigger rudder to try and get the thing to turn a little better while I was waiting for the rudder to swing

Even in decent wind I could never keep up with the "Lady's." Not only is the airfoil thicker, but it's not as streamlined. There are three flat sections that arc rearward from the leading edge to create the foil. The Goldberg gliders have sheeting over the ribs in the same area that is much smoother after covering. I have a Gentle Lady wing that fits on the Pussy Cat saddle...

Regardless, I'll keep mine and fly it again soon.

-slope'
slopensoar is offline Find More Posts by slopensoar
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2006
945 Posts
The only problem you might have, flying a Pussycat again after many years, will be going home with:
a) an undamaged plane and;
b) your adrenaline supply intact.

Maybe you had better take a $1000 crunchie with you as well, to remedy these slight problems.

Cheers,

Christopher
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:47 PM
London Soarer
UK, Wembury South Hams
Joined Feb 2007
54 Posts
Have done about 45 flights with mine, off the bungee. It's lovely to fly, and as you say, for teaching yourself its great.
MotoGuzzi750 is offline Find More Posts by MotoGuzzi750