HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:41 PM
United States, OH, Chardon
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
Discussion
zyx-s about to meet Mr. sledge

I have been fighting a tail wag in my tarot 450 pro with a zyx-s for about 2 months now and I have made very little progress. I have eliminated alot of vibrations and am using two foam pads under the gyro. The weird thing is that If I increase the gain it wags faster( I know thats normal), but as I decrease the gain it just wags slower and wider until it just spins like there is no gyro. I was just out flying it earlier and just tried to increase the gain alot more to see what happens and it just spun and nothing I did stopped it... goodbye blades. I am at the point that I just dont even feel safe and have a small urge to see how many pieces I can make it into lol

please help, thanks
Rocky18130 is offline Find More Posts by Rocky18130
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,685 Posts
You have a lot more tolerance than I would have. I'd have given it about 3 days.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky18130 View Post
I have been fighting a tail wag in my tarot 450 pro with a zyx-s for about 2 months now and I have made very little progress. I have eliminated alot of vibrations and am using two foam pads under the gyro. The weird thing is that If I increase the gain it wags faster( I know thats normal), but as I decrease the gain it just wags slower and wider until it just spins like there is no gyro. I was just out flying it earlier and just tried to increase the gain alot more to see what happens and it just spun and nothing I did stopped it... goodbye blades. I am at the point that I just dont even feel safe and have a small urge to see how many pieces I can make it into lol

please help, thanks
Let me start by saying I have no personal experience with this particular gyro, but certain issues are common to all of them.

What you are describing can be an effect of too much mechanical gain in your tail setup, that is you may be too far out with the ball on your rudder servo horn.

This means you rudder has too much throw and is making too much and too fast movements at the tail. The gyro can't make the tiny corrections needed without overshooting, trying to correct the other way , overshooting again and then getting trapped in a wag loop. Reducing the electronic gain will ease this, but still not enough to overcome the mechanical gain, so you end up with too low electronic gain for the gyro to hold at all and tail wandering all over as you describe.

Try moving in on the servo horn and see if it gets better. This will require that you re-set the tail travel end points again as you will be reducing your rudder throw. For best servo resolution you will want to use the servo arm hole that allows you to get you the closest to full tail travel without binding at the stops. Too far out and you are using very little of your servo travel before hitting the stops which reduces its resolution.

Good luck.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Apr 12, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:00 PM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,496 Posts
What Xrayted said can very well be the problem, and you could also try a different
tail servo.

Slop in the tail assembly can cause trouble, too.

It took me a month with dozens of adjustments and several tail servos to get the Assan GA250 gyro
on my HK250GT working decent.

It has never worked as well as the Skyartec gyro I was using (pulled from a Wasp V3).
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 12, 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
Thanks for the replies you guys. Sorry I havent gotten to try anything you suggested yet im waiting on a metal control linkage for the tail as because the plastic one stripped out. I have the linkage at the closest hole already but it is a pretty cheap servo so im going to buy a faster one, if it doesent help I needed a better one anyway. There was some slop in the tail but the new linkage should clear that up.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:24 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Yep, a slow/cheap/worn tail servo would certainly explain it. As the others have mentioned, poor mechanical set up, stiff linkages and ball joints, slop in the pitch mechanism etc could all so explain it, so check it all out meticulously

I have the ZYX-S gyro in a Trex 450 clone, and the tail is well behaved, so it's not a fundamental issue with the gyro.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
What servo are you using with your 450? Ive heard some gyro/servo combinations dont work well together
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
SOLVED:
thank you guys im now without tail wag, actually there still is a bit if you want to be really picky but im not. I needed to clean up some slop in the tail. I guess there can't be ANY slop at all I was thinking there was a bit of tolerance but there is basically none. Im still thinking about getting a better tail servo but that will come.

Thanks again