HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:42 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,066 Posts
Discussion
New Quad Test Flight Cut Short...

...Nothing wrong with the quad, it was because of the conversation going on behind me.

The gist of it: I heard a guy ask my spotter if he could watch and sat down on the bleachers behind me. He said that he was a photographer and that he has a group that was investing in a Phantom he was going to fly to do aerial photography of building projects. When a Sony Nex camera on a gimbal and YouTube was mentioned, well, I had to land...

My conversation with him is at the end of the video. It was the only constructive thing I could tell the guy because it was obvious that he wasn't really listening... Who knows - he might be one of the 1/1000th of 1% that can pull it off. I really do not understand where people are getting the idea that it is so easy and requires next to nothing to accomplish - media, manufacturers, hobby shops?

*The recording is anonymous in nature and my name is the only one heard. The person's name and face are not heard or shown. I don't know that I'd even recognize the guy on the street let alone remember his name. I think it's just an interesting generic capture of what so many people have written about here - the stereotype come to life... Truthfully, I hope it works out for the guy - the alternative is he's going to hurt someone, something or himself and possibly cause another black eye to our hobby or avocation.

Maxwell20140406 (4 min 56 sec)
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Last edited by wattnoise; Apr 07, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:45 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,066 Posts
Better Things - The Test Flight

It actually first flew last weekend unloaded and then a simulated weighted flight during the week. So, this is it's first fully loaded and functional test flight. Some proximity FPV (hence, the spotter) to see how everything lined up. I give it a thumbs up - the video is unaltered except for hovering dead time was deleted. The airframe is an original design by a friend and I. No pictures yet because we may end up selling them. Besides, prototype #1 is always ugly...

What I will describe:
540mm quadrotor airframe
NAZA-M GPS v2 with most of the bells and whistles
AVROTO 2814 motors with APC 1245 MR props
Hyperion CX 3S-3300mAh battery
FeiYu Tech gimbal and GP3 black/ND filter
900 MHz vTx/Rx on rubber duckies
5.4" LCD screen in a box

The video above was shot in 720p@120fps. Figured if something were to go wrong, I might be able to catch some clues from slowing down the video. But, nothing did. 2nd flight was proximity FPV from just after lift-off to just before touchdown - too much fun. 3rd flight - wind really picked up and gusty. Quad handled it well, but I may tweek on the gains some.
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise