HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:57 PM
RC Newbie
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
Discussion
DIY Drop Module

Does anyone know if there are any DIY instructions anywhere for making a "drop module"? I am simply looking to drop little parachute men or rocket streamers etc. Nothing heavy.
note: I am using a Spektrum radio and rx's. I imagine I can rig up a way to have some servos drop something, but I figured someone has already thought up a good way to do it.

Thanks!

I had fun with the hobbyzone aerial drop module that you could plug into the x-port on a Super Cub LP but that was no longer an option after I replaced the stock RX (and esc, motor)
Kalion is offline Find More Posts by Kalion
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:28 PM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
566 Posts
i just embedded a servo in the wing and put an elastic band over what i was wanting to drop with one side secured to the wing and the other over a servo horn that was turned to release it. i was using it to drop small foam planes from my bixler.
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:29 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalion View Post
Does anyone know if there are any DIY instructions anywhere for making a "drop module"? I am simply looking to drop little parachute men or rocket streamers etc. Nothing heavy.
note: I am using a Spektrum radio and rx's. I imagine I can rig up a way to have some servos drop something, but I figured someone has already thought up a good way to do it.
It's not DIY (except for mounting it) but I think we have a pretty good one. I have it on an Apprentice that will be carrying my HL-10 to altitude for launch.

Release module: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...elease-EFLA405

HL-10 thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024529

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:43 PM
Registered User
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,508 Posts
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ws7ftlkcgambr1a/oFGAk6JRDj

I just put velcro on the bottom and connect them with servo extensions.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:38 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Gabe_BigApple's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's not DIY (except for mounting it) but I think we have a pretty good one. I have it on an Apprentice that will be carrying my HL-10 to altitude for launch.

Release module: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...elease-EFLA405

HL-10 thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024529

Andy
Andy,

Do you guys sell the release clips separately?

If so, what's the part number and where is it listed?

(I couldn't find them listed under spare parts, and I would be afraid that if I used this and was unable to retrieve my parachute or whatever I was dropping, I would have to buy a whole new mechanism instead of just the $2 part by itself. )

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:48 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_BigApple View Post
Andy,

Do you guys sell the release clips separately?

If so, what's the part number and where is it listed?
Yup - if you search for "Payload release" on our website it pulls up both items. here's the other one:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ate-2--EFLA406

On my HL-10 I just cut a piece of hardwood and drilled a hole through it. Works great.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:00 PM
RC Newbie
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
good info, thanks guys
Kalion is offline Find More Posts by Kalion
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:48 PM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Gabe_BigApple's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yup - if you search for "Payload release" on our website it pulls up both items. here's the other one:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ate-2--EFLA406
Excellent, thanks. I had tried looking for it under parts and accessories on the main unit, but didn't think to search for it separately.

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:47 AM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
1,900 Posts
quick! somebody call homeland security!

ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 01:17 PM
RC Newbie
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post
quick! somebody call homeland security!

hah. Honestly - I thought to myself when the Superbowl was going on... how would security stop or prevent a FPV (or even non fpv) RC plane with a releasable payload of something like anthrax right over the stadium full of people? Scary thought.
Kalion is offline Find More Posts by Kalion
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 01:59 PM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Gabe_BigApple's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalion View Post
hah. Honestly - I thought to myself when the Superbowl was going on... how would security stop or prevent a FPV (or even non fpv) RC plane with a releasable payload of something like anthrax right over the stadium full of people? Scary thought.
That's a nice scenario for a movie, but for real-life scary stuff, go to the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...59141941621778

Jon Wellinghoff (ex-chairman of FERC) whom the article is based on tried to get attention paid to this problem behind the scenes for a year, but none of the utilities etc, were interested because the situation is really scary, so he finally went public with it hoping that some more attention to this problem may be in order to get it fixed (although nobody knows how to fix it).

Anyway, the Superbowl scenario would be trivial compared to this stuff....

For now, if you fly quads keep the heck away from any power infrastructure because otherwise you will likely get a visit from some nice people in non-descript sedans and they will not be amused....

Cheers, etc,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:56 PM
RC Newbie
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
I don't have a subscription to WSJ Gabe. Do you mind copying and pasting?
Kalion is offline Find More Posts by Kalion
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:55 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,418 Posts
Click on his link, then copy/paste the article title into Google. It will pull up alternative locations. That's how I read it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:01 PM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Gabe_BigApple's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Click on his link, then copy/paste the article title into Google. It will pull up alternative locations. That's how I read it.

Andy
Ummm, yeah, what Andy said. (I don't have a subscription, but it opens up for me just fine...)

On the other hand, if you want to sleep well at night, you're probably better off NOT reading it....

Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:04 PM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
1,900 Posts
funny, no paywall if you're not in the US.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz DIY transmitter module chip.greely Radios 6 Jan 25, 2014 09:55 AM
Discussion Diy module help please! Mrrob Radios 6 Nov 13, 2013 02:03 AM
Question Orange DIY Module with Futaba T9CP PaulB Radios 1 Nov 03, 2013 09:12 AM
Discussion Futaba 9 HK Orange DSM DIY Module Problems - Fixed PaulB Radios 0 Oct 17, 2013 05:28 AM
Discussion Possible to make a simple DIY sound module? carl1864 DIY Electronics 1 Sep 29, 2013 11:18 AM