Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:55 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,056 Posts
Discussion
Power at flying site

Ok I figured this is the best place to ask this question

I just came from my clubs meeting and we are always talking about lower membership and trying to find the funds to build a electric charging station. some of us think adding power for members only at our state Park will motivate others to join

So its around 10k pulse electric bill for direct power to our location

We are thinking of spending 3k on solar panels and battery

My questions is dose your feild have a non hard wired power for charging lipos?

How has it worked out?

If its been working for more than 2 years, whats your set up?

Thanks
mikes68charger is online now Find More Posts by mikes68charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:04 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
464 Posts
What kind of power level does $3000 get you? Would it be enough to supply your typical power demands. The cheaper (couple hundred or so) solar panel systems I've seen barely have enough power to keep a laptop and a couple cell phones charged. Is this a 12V system or higher voltage. Most high output chargers needing 24V or more would be limited with only 12V.

I've been to a few fields that have wired electric and it's certainly nice. Most have to make do, as I do, with a generator.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:13 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,970 Posts
$3000 gets you a really nice Honda generator. It can be locked in your club home, and is not clearly visible to every passing person like expensive solar panels on the rooftop. Practically no maintenance, power is always there when you need it, it can be easily relocated and resale value is probably high.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:35 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
2,655 Posts
One thing I saw at Indian River Kontrol Society (IRKS in Melbourne FL) that's cool, they have solar panels that charge several deep cycle marine batteries. These feed a bus bar that has 12v that you can connect to and run most chargers.

They also have it charging several 12v batteries for their glider winches that are ready to go whenever they need them.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:44 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,822 Posts
Our club uses hard wired electricity to provide power outlets at all of the work tables at the flying site. But the solar power system has merit if you use it to charge a bank of deep cycle batteries that use a buss that people an connect to for charging. Of course a couple of nice quiet Honda Generators has merit too, especially on those cloudy overcast days.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
Solar System

Our club has a 12 / 24 volt solar system.

It has 8 deep cycle batteries.

It has 2 solar panels I think they are about 140 watts each.

We have never run out of power.

We got the batteries and the building for free and the collectors were used.

PM me if you want more info.
KAW_Concours is offline Find More Posts by KAW_Concours
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:04 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours View Post
Our club has a 12 / 24 volt solar system.

It has 8 deep cycle batteries.

It has 2 solar panels I think they are about 140 watts each.

We have never run out of power.

We got the batteries and the building for free and the collectors were used.

PM me if you want more info.
Very nice.

The club is worried about wasting money so storys about your location that has had a set up with long terms success will help the fight
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,159 Posts
You said your club meets at a state park. Will you be able to have a permanent facility there or will you have to bring the charging set up to the park for each flying session?

If not permanent I would think a generator would be more satisfactory.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1,056 Posts
No it needs to be permit. We already have 2 20ft contaners etc

I just figured we can't be the only feild that cant aford to have a power line put in.

So I was hoping to find a good running combo to meet our needs

Our needs are a few helicopter, alot more electric guys fly in the am so several lipos. And reciver packs
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:48 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Our club has a generator. But, It's only used for club meetings and events.
The covered flight stands and so forth are not wired. I'm trying to get the club to
consider adding wiring and some method of expanding the use.
The club's members are mostly old timers that fly glow and gas,
and we do have a slowly expanding number of member that fly electrics.
(Maybe about 20% of the membership)

The immediate problem will be fuel cost and access to start the generator, etc.
Currently several members, including myself use our own small portable generators on an as needed basis.
chuck75 is online now Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75 View Post
Our club has a generator. But, It's only used for club meetings and events.
The covered flight stands and so forth are not wired. I'm trying to get the club to
consider adding wiring and some method of expanding the use.
The club's members are mostly old timers that fly glow and gas,
and we do have a slowly expanding number of member that fly electrics.
(Maybe about 20% of the membership)

The immediate problem will be fuel cost and access to start the generator, etc.
Currently several members, including myself use our own small portable generators on an as needed basis.
While I agree most of our members are old timers also.

But as we are built on a state park, our parking lot has a lot of drive by traffic, and if you going flying in the AM you will see no less than 5-6 cars with there hoods up, some running. Last year we had 2 vehicls broken into as they were unlocked charging lipos, they took his wallit and lipo charger. Pluse we all have seen pics of cars burnt down when a lipo went bad during charging.

I was thinking of haveing a little station with a few deep cell batterys, and a few soloer pannels, with a small auto start honda gen, that would start if the power got low on the batterys, this will help prevent the batterys from being dischared to low and couseing damage and help the system last longer in the long run.

I really thought it would of been easyer to find more infomation on what other clubs are doing.

Im really hopeing this will be a tool we can use to get our club to rase more $$ each year becouse in the end thats what it comes down to.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:53 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,572 Posts
You can't buy a small self starting Honda generator.

I want to put solar on our club awning roof too but we get vandalized too often.
I have 73 thin film panels that I got for free and it looks like my wife will not let me put them on my house.
Problem with these is they are around 70V each so that puts me in the expen$ive inverter class regardless of the # I put on the roof in parallel.

Here is the math, read it and weap
Perfect world:
6 in series would give me ~ 425 volts, 2.2 amps (max) DC output into my inverter, 936 watts AC output and around 3.7 amps 220 AC voltage. Split the 220 in half for two legs would make it around 7 amps * 2 circuits (breakers) which would cover two 24v power supplies at around 70% of max output or 4 12V power supplies at ~70% output.

2 strings in parallel would double the output. See attached in the zip file to change/edit to fit your panels IF you decide to do this.

Find very inexpensive (figuratively speaking) panels here:
http://www.civicsolar.com/products/s...reak_1_0%20asc

Sort by $/w and you can see some can cost as little as $0.768/watt.

In reality all you and I would need to do is keep large deep cycle pb batteries charged to run chargers off of but if we can get AC output at the same time too...

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:42 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,074 Posts
Our club has our own 4500 watt generator that we use for fun flys and events, for clubhouse lights, coffee maker, loudspeaker system, etc. Many of us old pharts have out own 1000 watt generators, Hondas, Champions and such. In the winter, whoever gets there first, plugs a generator into one of the outside hydro outlets. That lets us use the outlets in the clubhouse for charging batts. as well as lights. In the summer, we put a foldup table at the back of the vehicles with chairs, the small generators etc., and go flying. The system works great. Would cost too much for the club to have hydro put in. Amazing how well these little generators start only with a couple of pulls at 20 deg F weather.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:14 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,372 Posts
AC or solar power will likely never happen at my club field so I got my own Honda EU2000i three years ago and never looked back.

$3000 buys a lot of generator. Shopping around you can get a Honda EU3000i for < $2000. The nice thing about certain model Honda's is that two generators can be run in parallel to double your output if you needs grow. Third party adapters allow you to triple some Honda models.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Many of us old pharts have out own 1000 watt generators, Hondas, Champions and such...Amazing how well these little generators start only with a couple of pulls at 20 deg F weather.

Gord.
I bought a Champion 2000W Inverter generator last year when I got into 6S 5000mAH packs and it has worked great. Starts with just a few pulls and when running at lower power levels idles down to the point where it's barely audible 50 feet away. I'm also then able to use it when I go camping. Like the Honda's and others can be paralleled.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr