HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Discussion
Joysway Mad Shark Brushless

I have a Atomik Barbwire I am really enjoying and thinking about expanding into other layouts without breaking the bank. I found a Joysway Mad Shark Brushless that appears to have just come out. Looks like most of the same components as the Barbwire. Even has self righting! Anyone seen these yet? At $119 looks to be a even better deal then the barbwire, it is missing the Lipo battery but I plan to just use the one from my barbwire as it appears to be about the same.

http://www.atomik-rc.com/Joysway-Mad...s-RC-Boat.html

ラジコン1 8205 Mad Shark F1 Brushless (0 min 28 sec)
CWBETB is offline Find More Posts by CWBETB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Anyone?
Old Dec 03, 2013, 08:22 PM
making wakes and rockn' boats
Joined Aug 2013
33 Posts
one of the guys at my LHS says this thing is a blast.
i have been thinkn' about this for awhile until i can fix my Stiletto hull.
for the $ i am tempted but i have a CC to build and some scale 4x4's to complete.
wetter is offline Find More Posts by wetter
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetter View Post
one of the guys at my LHS says this thing is a blast.
i have been thinkn' about this for awhile until i can fix my Stiletto hull.
for the $ i am tempted but i have a CC to build and some scale 4x4's to complete.
Nice! Im planning to order one in Mid Dec when they come back in stock, looks great from the vid, and self righting on a hydro is sweet!
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:37 PM
Wantirna Sth Vic,Australia
Joined Jul 2006
336 Posts
They look like great value and you gotta love self righting in an F1 hull style boat. Do you know if the outboard is functional or whether it has inboard motor design?

Oooh I see. inboard motor. much better than outboard------------less chance of snapping shafts.
biznitch is offline Find More Posts by biznitch
Last edited by biznitch; Dec 04, 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: answered my own stupid question
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:41 PM
Wantirna Sth Vic,Australia
Joined Jul 2006
336 Posts
Wow, $80 postage to Australia. Anyone know of Aussie distributor?
biznitch is offline Find More Posts by biznitch
Old Dec 05, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznitch View Post
They look like great value and you gotta love self righting in an F1 hull style boat. Do you know if the outboard is functional or whether it has inboard motor design?

Oooh I see. inboard motor. much better than outboard------------less chance of snapping shafts.
Yep, as far as I can tell the outboard motor is really just for steering. This thing should fly being brushless though, bet its as fast or fast then the Barbwire as it skip over the water
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
I just got the Mad Shark the other day. Looks pretty nice! Im going to do a comparison review with the barbwire as most of the components are the same.

Build quality- Looks good, solid ABS plastic, nice design, nice colors. The battery tray is a little cheap on the plastic end. Its much flatter then the Barbwire, maybe more stable turning due to layout/design

Components- Looks to be 99% the same as the Barbwire but with Joysway stickers on it. I did run the Barbwire and Mad Shark out of water, for some reason the Barbwire sounds stronger, its possible that since the prop cable is bent maybe its not making as much/or smoother power. I did relube/oil the shaft just incase, seems to sound a little better now. Controllers are the same minus the Atomik/Joysway logo. Bad thing- I was hoping to use the Babrwire battery on this, but a 11.1V 1300 is to big, it needs to be under 1200!! BOO

Self Righting- I was able to fill up a tub and try to see how the Self righting works. Seems to flip itself about 80% of time. It uses the flooded chamber method which works unless air bubbles are trapped in it. The boat will lean to the side when not in motion do to the design.

Test- Waiting for some ice to melt/Battery possible Friday

Some pics
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Some problems finding a battery that fits. I went with a Parkzone 11.1v 3s 1300 15c (20 max) that fits. Anyone think the C rating is to low?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Digging a bit more, it appears the motors are slightly different the Mad Shark in a 2500kv and the Barbwire is a 2950kv. Would explain why the Barbwire sounded stronger. Would make a easy swap I bet! Though might make it safer from me to run the 15C also....
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
Let us know how they compare (speed, handling) I'm really curious.
romanjr is offline Find More Posts by romanjr
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Looks like today is the day. Im going to record the runs + also going to stick on a keychain camera on the boats, should be interesting vids! "If I dont lose the keychain cam.. :P
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
madshark Brushless RC Boat (2 min 9 sec)

Got it out today, its a fun boat, hops skips endo's and flips! Not as stable as the Barbwire, had both boats out at the same time and the Barbwire is a tiny bit faster 2mph or so. Bad news, after I took it in I had a hole in the rear of the boat! plastic cracked somehow! Im patching it up, not sure what gives with that . Enjoy the vid!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
Sedona
Joined Sep 2007
157 Posts
CWBETB :
Nice first run. Did it hit something or just crash impact that caused damage? I'm thinking of ordering so let us know if it's worthy or not.
Thanks.
ezra rubik is offline Find More Posts by ezra rubik
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezra rubik View Post
CWBETB :
Nice first run. Did it hit something or just crash impact that caused damage? I'm thinking of ordering so let us know if it's worthy or not.
Thanks.

The hole/crack was in the rear, so not from any impact. I "think" the latches that hold the top on flexed to much + cold = cracked. My advice would be to loosen the screws before you put on the cover as they seem to tight from the factory with the gasket in place. I was able to patch it pretty good using some spare plastic + plastic weld. Tested it again yesterday with zero water inside. The boat is pretty fast, but Im tempted to put the Barbwire motor in it, I bet it would really move with that motor, the esc is 25a same as barbwire so should be a direct swap. The Barbwire is alot more forgiving then the Mad Shark, push the Mad Shark to far and it will flip. Barbwire still might be a better bargain with speed+ handling, but if you are looking for a different type of boat, Mad Shark Brushless is a close 2nd.