HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2014, 03:01 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,939 Posts
Time to add some detail. I use pastels from Curry's Hobby supplies and grind them down to dust on heavy grit sand paper.

I bought at least 4 different clear coats off the shelf but non of them gave me a true FLAT clear that I liked. I ended up buying the Testors FLAT clear from the LHS and while the can is much smaller...It sure did work the best by far! Im very happy with the clear coat that I have sprayed on the bottom of the plane. Two Very light coats was enough.. but my God! the fumes are killer Ventilation and a gas mask is a must!!! It is laquer after all
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:17 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
536 Posts
I was hoping I could just throw this ARF together and fly, but now someone has caused me to want to get my airbrush out again! Very nice Vettster, a decent paint job really does make it look much more than it really is, takes it to that next level quite nicely! So, I will be following in your footsteps, keep the updates coming.

Luke
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Apr 01, 2014, 12:50 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I was hoping I could just throw this ARF together and fly, but now someone has caused me to want to get my airbrush out again! Very nice Vettster, a decent paint job really does make it look much more than it really is, takes it to that next level quite nicely! So, I will be following in your footsteps, keep the updates coming.

Luke
if you follow in his footsteps, you will never leave the garage.
i was hoping 'someone' would actually fly this thing. you know... in the air and all. but, i do realize that some folks like to build and hate to fly, or the weather is fly-prohibitive. that's why i'd like to offer my assistance... i will be happy to FLY the plane for you... even take some video! just ship it to me and tada! it will be like magic!
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Apr 01, 2014, 04:47 PM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
689 Posts
Due to our climate, Canadians R/C flyers automatically have 5 or 6 months of downtime. So if it looks like a Canuck is stretching out a build, he is. His flying field is covered in two feet of snow.

I live about as far south in Canada as you can get and my field won`t be open until the end of April.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:16 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

Luke
Thanks very much Luke! I know you will do a great job of it. as I have followed some of your previous threads in the past ie: FF F-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
if you follow in his footsteps, you will never leave the garage.
i was hoping 'someone' would actually fly this thing. you know... in the air and all. but, i do realize that some folks like to build and hate to fly, or the weather is fly-prohibitive. that's why i'd like to offer my assistance... i will be happy to FLY the plane for you... even take some video! just ship it to me and tada! it will be like magic!
I except your offer... I'll pack it tonight. Please post your mailing address, your full Name, The bank you use, Your account #, Your Credit card # with and send me a blank check

Hang in there.. It wont be long. It has finally started to warm up and the snow took an asskicking over the last 3 day. Woo Whoo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2014, 11:15 PM
Master of Repairs
United States, UT, Grantsville
Joined Mar 2013
481 Posts
Guys, don't feel too bad, we have 50+ F temps the grass is getting green, the flowers are up and the trees are blooming.

The wind is blowing 45mph and it is raining. My field is nothing but mud.........

I can fly my little spitfire out of the parking lot but my Corsair 50 and 82" P-40 sit and they are not happy..........
kknox is online now Find More Posts by kknox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Pictures
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:29 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Thanks very much Luke! I know you will do a great job of it. as I have followed some of your previous threads in the past ie: FF F-100

I except your offer... I'll pack it tonight. Please post your mailing address, your full Name, The bank you use, Your account #, Your Credit card # with and send me a blank check

Hang in there.. It wont be long. It has finally started to warm up and the snow took an asskicking over the last 3 day. Woo Whoo
what's this? hey, jack, i'm doing YOU a favor. you should be paying ME! and just to show my generosity, i will just mention "donations appreciated" and mention some cash under the canopy guarantees extras, like fresh gas.
dude, i hope you get plenty of airtime with this beauty, and i'd sure like to gauck at it flying. i'd so love to have one myself, but the build aint my cup o' tea. be SURE not to pull one of those took-all-winter-to-build-it-but-crashed-it-within-5-flights scenarios. ya know, kinda like the certain P-47 master build thread story.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:34 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,939 Posts
not to worry... Im a Flyer.. not a Buyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:47 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
not to worry... Im a Flyer.. not a Buyer
Excuse me!!!!!! I cant count how many times you got me buying the same thing as you.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:54 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,939 Posts
LOL I only told you that I was going to buy something then laughed as you did
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:04 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
536 Posts
I'm finally on the way to getting this thing in the air. I noticed that all of the niples on the retract cylinders leak, they need a washer, but I just glued them in with 5min epoxy. I also use a Jet Legend valve with a BVM fill valve and replaced all of the T fittings with metal Jet Legend T's. My retracts do not leak and hold air for weeks.

I have all of the control surface servos installed and it's just finishing up the details before I paint. I used the plastic radiators and gear doors as molds and made glass parts for these. Figure if I ever damage them I have molds to make more.

Since HK never has the cannons in stock I will make my own on my lathe.

I also ordered a pilot, HK also does not have that in stock either, so I ordered it from the original sculptor, Aces of Iron. Cost more but I feel better about it.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Apr 06, 2014, 05:33 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,939 Posts
Happy to see youve joined in

Good idea to make plugs of the rad and such. Now when "I" need some... I know who to contact lol

I see you live in Texas. There's a good chance you will maiden yours before i do
RCG Plus Member