HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Discussion
Sig T-Clips

I just got back from the field after the initial flight of my T-Clips. WOW! I had trouble taking off the grass as our field's grass is too long. Decided to remove the wheel pants and let our club pro make the first flight. He took it off and had to add 6 clicks of "UP" and nothing else! He flew it at half throttle and it went like a bat outta hell! He landed it and it nosed over in the high grass.
Post flight notes were to increase the wheel size to fly off our long grass.
The kit's 2.5" wheels will be replaced and I will mechanically adjust the elevator. That's it.
My airplane weighs 5 1/4 lbs. I'm using an OS 52 brushless motor with 4S 4000 Nano-tech batteries. An APC 13.6.5 prop on the motor. The batteries were cool to the touch on landing. I'm also using a CC Edge 75 Lite esc with JR radio and 821 servos.
The kit was very well engineered and produced. The only glitch was that the velcro included was backward from the instructions. Everything else was excellent. I used all of the kit hardware except for the velcro.
I will go out this weekend for some more flights. This isn't a high wing trainer but a very aerobatic airplane so I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner but a great second airplane.
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2013, 10:11 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Subsequent Flight

Flew the T-Clips again Sunday. The 3" wheels helped and I had to add another half turn on the elevator clevis and she flew hands off. The airplane rolls and loops well, however, inverted took about a quarter of down elevator. That's with the recommended 3" balance point. So, I need to add so weight to the tail. I attribute this to the heavier OS 52. The recommended throws are spot on. Everyone who has seen it fly are impressed even flying at half throttle. I only use full throttle for verticals.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 02:54 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
How's the landing gear mounting area look?
A weak spot for every ARF I ever had. Usually more than just weak design but lite ply.
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Sep 07, 2013, 09:42 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Landing gear

Slope,
I usually beef up an ARF's landing gear mount but, in this case, it was not needed. Just my opinion, of course, but it looks good.
No problems as of yet.
The slide in battery mount works like a charm.
Frank
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:32 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
Thx Frank......will keep my eyes on his thread for updates!

Really do like this model.
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:50 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Slope-

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that I was the only person to buy this plane!
I'm still tweaking my trim. Added one oz of tail weight-not enough so I added another 1/2 oz. I like to have inverted flight with just a touch of down elevator. CG is at 3.25" behind LE and I will test fly this to see if I'm there.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Mines in the mail. Hope to have it next week.

I have an abundance of 5S packs so it looks like I'll go with a Hacker A40-12S.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:54 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
Carl-

The Hacker should be perfect! I don't have any 5S packs but I hope that they will fit!
The CG of 3.25" is about right. I'm not a 3D flyer(not much of a flyer anymore!). The recommended throws(low rate) are a little touchy so I dialed them down to 60% of the low rate and used the recommended low rates as my high rate. Better. This is a personal choice!
The T-Clips is a good, honest airplane that I enjoy tweaking to get it where I want it.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Frank

Mike Gretz over at Sig said the 5S pack shouldn't be a problem, but we'll see when I get get a TC in my hot little hands.

Thanks for the warning about the rates. I'll dial them down for the first few flights.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Just got mine. Really like the covering job. Ultracote is so nice to work with.

One issue so far is with the axle retaining nuts. One fit so loose it stripped with very little pressure. I got lucky when I found some metric lock nuts in the drawer which worked perfectly.

Setup: A40-12S, CC ICE 75 Lite, 5S3300 battery, APC 13x6.5

Looking forward to a flight next week.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:56 PM
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
268 Posts
So… you guys still flying this one? Still happy with it?

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:39 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2013
191 Posts
Still flying and greatly enjoying this plane. I'm still working on best D/R settings but overall the plane flies great. Landings were a big problem at first but I've practiced a lot with power on landings and am getting better with smooth scale landings.

Overall, I love SIG planes. My next one will be the Sig 4 Star 54. I originally wanted the E-Flite Pulse X25 but their replacement part prices are ridiculously high and I prefer the SIG wing construction.
Capt Ed is offline Find More Posts by Capt Ed
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:33 AM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,481 Posts
TClips

Still have mine. I'm going to install my new(old) Ace Single Stick radio and I thought that I would add flaperons. Tclips is a clean airplane and sometimes, I wish to slow it down on landing. Need a better pilot instead of a better airplane!
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:57 PM
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined May 2013
327 Posts
It's a Sig!!! i knew it would be awesome
Thunderboat42 is online now Find More Posts by Thunderboat42