HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:42 AM
Down is up and up is expensive
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Careful!
Safety reminder! Remove the prop before servicing your plane!

Well, I relearned a valuable lesson tonight, and one that I already knew and should've known better than to do. Always, Always and ALWAYS remove the prop before you work on you're plane and make extra sure you unplug the battery before you turn off the transmitter! Not doing so can be painful and expensive! It sure was for me tonight. I had just finished replacing a servo in my Mini Funtana and committed 2 No-No's. Number 1, I didn't take the prop off before working on and powering up to do a test with the new servo, and #2, I failed to unplug the battery before I turned off the TX, which in turn caused the motor to power up to wide open! I knew better than to do either one but I had worked on planes so much the last several months that I had gotten lax and didn't even think about the dangers of a spinning prop. I even had the plane sitting in a PVC stand and it still took off, stand and all!! Things happened so fast that my natural reflex was to grab the plane, and when I did, the prop struck me right in the wrist! It cut me about a inch and a half long and to the bone. 1 inch further to the left and it would've hit the artery and then I would have really been in trouble! Needless to say, I've spent the last 2 1/2 hours at the hospital getting stitched up. It took 5 or 6 stitches or more (can't see how many for the bandage) to close the wound. I just wanted to post my accident with the hopes that it will be a heads up to a new person to the hobby ( or even a seasoned pilot) about what can and will happen by being careless! Be careful guys and gals!
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Last edited by oneagleswings; Jan 04, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
Hope you will be allright! It also sounds like you have an Rx with a failsafe. Most Rx with failsafes will go full throttle if no signal is recieved for a specified amount of time. You can disable the failsafe or choose to program it such as 1/3 throttle, left turn climb etc. It also means in this case if you had flown beyond Tx signal your airplane would have gone full throttle and kept on flying until it....well you get the picture.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:16 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,190 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your accident and I'm glad that you came through it.

While some may snicker "oh look this thread again", I feel no matter how many times we see this type of thread we should all take notice and pay attention to how we handle our models.

We do tend to slip here and there and the moment you stop paying attention is the moment our toys remind us how untoylike and dangerous they really are.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:56 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,598 Posts
Oh, look! Same thread all over again......

GOOD!!!

It needs repeating.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:10 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,032 Posts
Safety first, always!

We sometimes have to be reminded. That's what my wife tells me and she is wrong....I always have to be reminded.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
I had a similar experience in the summer. got 3 nice 3in gashes in my forearm about 1/4-1/2in deep and the blade broke and did a nice job peeling of about 1/8in of skin about 4in long. SAFETY 1st. If one person reads this thread and saves them self from gettin bit. Mission accomplished.
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
214 Posts
great post. Some can never hear "be careful" too many times.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
I did some checking today ( with the prop off!!) and it was just like 1fullbird said, the failsafe wasn't set up properly. When the transmitter was turned off with the battery still plugged in it would run wide open for about 5 seconds. I've got everything set up properly now to where the motor will not even power up without moving the throttle stick. It was my fault for not rebinding the Spectrum Rx two times and double checking like the instructions said to do. I'm just thankful that it was only a park 400 size motor and not one of my larger motors and also that the prop broke when it hit or I would have really been chewed up, requiring a whole lot more than the 5 or 6 stitches I currently have. It could've easily been a lot worse! You can bet I'll remember "SAFETY" from now on!
Last edited by oneagleswings; Jan 04, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
258 Posts
As a newbie with a few foamies, I'll keep this in mind!

Hmm, if the prop is hard to remove, how about chocking some foam over the prop blades while you're working on the model? Seems like it should work.
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNewbie View Post
As a newbie with a few foamies, I'll keep this in mind!

Hmm, if the prop is hard to remove, how about chocking some foam over the prop blades while you're working on the model? Seems like it should work.

I was wearing a sweatshirt last night and it went through it like a hot knife in butter and sliced me clean, so I don't know if foam would've helped, but if you're cautious enough to put foam on the prop first then it probably wouldn't ever happen to you because you're already being careful and practicing safety. I got careless even though I knew better!
Last edited by oneagleswings; Jan 04, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:45 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote: