HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2013, 01:10 PM
H.D. Video and Photo Aviation
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
clubs and such

Interesting thread..... I have been around the area for along time and found that all of the clubs are not to my liking so I flew at dry lakes for years and did find I liked Las Vegas Radio Control Club so I support them and when I get down to Vegas I hang out with them. Sorry I find most of the clubs to be very political and not welcoming up here. And it must be something in the water in N. Nevada because I have been around the country and its not like that at all at various other clubs. I wont go into anymore on that. Anyhow I ended up building my own runway (4800 feet) at my ranch and now I can fly my RC planes and/or regular scale.
koss1000 is offline Find More Posts by koss1000
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 03:03 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koss1000 View Post
Interesting thread..... I have been around the area for along time and found that all of the clubs are not to my liking so I flew at dry lakes for years and did find I liked Las Vegas Radio Control Club so I support them and when I get down to Vegas I hang out with them. Sorry I find most of the clubs to be very political and not welcoming up here. And it must be something in the water in N. Nevada because I have been around the country and its not like that at all at various other clubs. I wont go into anymore on that. Anyhow I ended up building my own runway (4800 feet) at my ranch and now I can fly my RC planes and/or regular scale.
I found the same issues as you have. I flew in parks in Fallon when I lived there and the same in Reno. Now I live in Silver Springs and have joined the Fernley club. A good bunch of guys.
johnorama is online now Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Jun 03, 2013, 05:51 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koss1000 View Post
The reasons mentioned here is why I am not a club member either, John and some others have been the only people I have flown with in years. I usually just find an area deviod of people and fly.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:43 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,898 Posts
And to be clear, there are a lot of really great guys and gals at the local clubs but the costs and driving time made it easy to choose other flying options. Also, 90% of my aircraft are belly-landers and don't do well on hard surfaces.

We will find divisions in the ranks no matter where we go, unfortunately. But we are only human.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:38 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
748 Posts
Again, I agree with John there are many great people at the clubs if you are into the club scene.......not that there is anything wrong with that......it is an investment of time to drive out of my way to fly. Like I said above I like to fly usually by myself and I just fly where ever no one else is.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:23 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,898 Posts
FYI, a bunch of us are Park Flying this Saturday at the Fernley Out of Town Park (yes, that's the name of the park). But it's night flying we are striving for. I hope you can join us.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996670
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:52 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,804 Posts
Hello everyone,

Some of the longer term Reno guys and gals may remember Phil Kalenowski, the veritable Pied Piper of Reno Park Flying and Kite Flying. Everyone who met Phil knew Phil and Phil was a friend to everyone who wanted or needed a friend.

Phil passed away unexpectedly in his sleep a few weeks ago and a memorial service was held in Northwest Reno with family and friends as organized by his girlfriend and parents (who could not attend due to their far away location and advanced age). It was a shock to many of us as he was in good shape, good health and relatively young. I want to apologize to the many people I did not have a chance to contact to attend the memorial in the short notice we had. There were many of us that did not even know about Phil's passing - it was a shock to me as well.

Phil was a retired Marine, a business owner, a dedicated organizer of the good time and an constantly ready and on alert sport flyer of kites and flying wings. I know Phil had the occasional "airplane" but he was really a Kite guy with a lot of RC flying wings of all varieties, electric power and slope glider.

Phil was the first guy I ever saw who fitted a live camera and feed signal to a wing back in 2002 or so. He also put a few cameras in the wings and before video was easily made was good at making videos. Way before Youtube was out. Phil went where the cool stuff led. I fondly remember our dedicated "combat" sorties with 15 wings in the air at a time with no kills and then a normal "all up sortie" and one or two midair collisions could always be counted on. I can't recall our all up record, but it was in the twenties. This was way before 2.4G so we were clearly limited on frequencies. Phil was a supporter of all who had a dream and did something different.

As a show of respect and a chance to catch up with old friends and new ones, Thang Doan has suggested a Memorial fly day in Phil's honor at some point in the future. I am not sure what Thang wants to do but perhaps in true Phil style he will suggest meeting up at an un-official spot like Coleman road. Better yet Thang might be looking into renting the Chinese Pagota and having an official one day sanction from the Rancho San Rafael rangers at that location. This was where we originally started gathering "in masse" back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Great grass landing areas of course and no dogs off leash. I don't think the Rangers are into making that a habit but for one day it might be a legit deal given their association with Phil over the years. It's also large enough for big powered gliders, real electric planes, etc.

Anyway, here is to Phil Kalenowski. May you fly to any horizon you choose in your own way and rest in peace.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:52 PM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,437 Posts
Very sad news.
I have fond memories of meeting Phil at Rancho years ago and then convincing him to hike all over the hills of Reno once I found out he was into slope soaring.
We went out to the usual places like Red Rock and Duck hill but he was also up for some of my crazy slope safaris: Up above the Galena “G”, McClellan Peak in Washoe Valley (my avatar was one of Phil’s vids from up on McClellan), East of Hidden Valley, Sun Valley, even the sand hill above TMCC/DRI (that one was his idea).
We didn’t always find great lift and the hikes weren’t always “fun”, but the trips were memorable for sure.
Rest in peace, Phil.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:48 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,804 Posts
Those are great memories 1000MPH! I am sure Phil would be smiling to hear that. Thanks for posting them. Phil was a really neat guy. I miss his mass emails that kept everyone up to date on the weekly flying adventures we used to have 10 years ago.

Did you guys ever have much luck sloping on the "G" hill? My 6 year old son has claimed the "G" hill as his own, we see it easily from our local area. He's always referencing the area based on "his" hill. His first name starts with a G so I guess it makes sense!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:11 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,898 Posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:20 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,719 Posts
Looks fun. Is there electric power available for recharging batteries?
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:56 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
Looks fun. Is there electric power available for recharging batteries?
There is no shore power available. We all charge off of our vehicle batteries or bring a second battery. If this is a make or break issue for you, I am certain we can find someone who will share their battery with you. I can support 1 or 2 extra charging stations.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:05 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,719 Posts
No, not really a make or break issue. Thought the answer might be yes with the field being a small airport and all. I'll charge at home and leave the bulk of my charging equipment there then.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740