HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2014, 12:04 PM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
636 Posts
Ok, i understand. I was wondering before a little bit about the stall at take off which was described by some owners of the Moray.

I found many vids at youtube from both, Moray and Dogfighter where take off seems to be very easy.

So, just asking!

Thanks Cello for your explanation.

Uwe
SilbernerSurfer is offline Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2010
53 Posts
Hi Guys

Bought the Moray from HobbyKing just before the Lunar New Year as I noticed the stocks were depleting fast from my local warehouse. Picked it up last week and as soon as I had the fuselage out of the box, could not believe how nose heavy this bird is.

Build was a little problematic as the horizontal stab spars needed a tad shaven off to fit the hole in the tail. Other than that, it was a quick build. Still very nose heavy when fully assembled.

I saw RCMotion have a dedicated 4S 14.8v 1600mAh stubby lipo which is meant to set the cg properly. It is interesting to read here that some people have been using standard 4S lipos without any problems. Since the Moray is very nose heavy, I think I am gonna buy stubby packs. I have found alternative stubby packs on a China based website. Some are rated at 1500mAh 20C and others 1600mAh 25C-30C. Since the former packs are much cheaper, thinking about purchasing a few but will the 20C rating adversely affect the performance that much?

Bearing in mind the only flying experience I have is perhaps 40 hours on a Clouds Fly Floater Jet and maybe similar time on the PC simulator, I am taking my time to prepare this Moray. In the meantime, just built a 37" span high wing prop trainer which I've still yet to maiden and will be used to gain more experience before jumping to the Moray.

I noticed the stock prop and back plate have really deep grooves to enable a tight fit of the blades. Are there any problems fitting props other than the stocks as the grooves seem quite deep?

I also installed a Turnigy metal gear servo for the ailerons. Removal of the stock servo was relatively easy, it's held in place by what looks like white silicone sealant. Noticed that the stock servo mount plates were flush with the servo top surface while my replacement servo lugs were approx 1/3 down the height of the case. Installing the new servo meant the whole assembly sat higher and with the horn and aileron linkages attached, meant it was hindered by the servo deck installed above in the fuselage. I had to cut the servo lugs off and worked out well as the servo bay was much deeper than the stock servo. Everything lined up with no fouling. Servo held in place with hot glue.

No Expo and Dual Rates given in the manual but I have dialled both in on my FlySky TH9 transmitter using ER9X with the OrangeRx module and Rx600 receiver.

It's going to be stressful to fly this plane for the first time but from all the videos and comments I have seen, the Moray is great if you get the basics right.

Cheers
Etops
etopsflight is offline Find More Posts by etopsflight
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
70 Posts
Yea you'll wind up using APC props after you break the stock one on landing. and have a few extras on hand you will break a few from time to time on landings...However I noticed a big improvement changing to APC props anyway as well. My Moray wanted to climb like hell at full throttle with the stock prop with APC's it doesn't do that. My Moray balanced perfectly right out of the box. I also had to have noticeable down trim set in my elevators to fly level too. Switching out the aileron servo really isn't needed, Olllian is flying his on 6S going 150+ mph on stock servos. If you havn't flown anything quick before...u might want too, for the size of this little bird it moves out. Best piece of advice I can give you is at launch, 3/4 throttle, and throw the plane upwards at about 45-60 degrees vertical and it will do fine. Turn your control throws for elevator down to 75% for flying otherwise you can get a high speed stall if you bank and yank to hard. I do use 100% for takeoff on a high rate switch but as soon as the plane plane is away safely I switch to low rate. Aileron u can leave around 95-100% has a very nice crisp roll rate. I use 40% expo on both control surfaces and I'm using Spektrum DX8 transmitter. Landings, keep your speed up and land it a tad fast. Don't try to flare it very much, If you get to slow it will drop out of the sky like a rock and break a prop everytime. Most importantly keep the wings level and line up where you want to land a ways out since you have no rudder for minor corrections on your final approach. This is my new favorite plane to take to the field. I used to take squalls out 2 or 3 at a time...Now I just take this...It's just as fast more maneuverable and doesn't bleed off speed in the turns like the Squalls do. You'll love this plane!
The Black Nova is offline Find More Posts by The Black Nova
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:41 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
477 Posts
Just received my moray. I wonder if it's a good idea to use a AR635 with inbuilt gyro to compensate the roll during hand launch?
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtop View Post
Just received my moray. I wonder if it's a good idea to use a AR635 with inbuilt gyro to compensate the roll during hand launch?

Its really not needed...If you launch like a big paper airplane and throw it about 60 degrees up with about 60-70% throttle it will be fine....even if you used a gyro the plane wont have enough airspeed to correct the roll...when the weather turns I'll will have someone video my launch and show how easy this is to do.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:10 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
477 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to change the brake settings.
Stock it came with the brake on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Nova View Post
Its really not needed...If you launch like a big paper airplane and throw it about 60 degrees up with about 60-70% throttle it will be fine....even if you used a gyro the plane wont have enough airspeed to correct the roll...when the weather turns I'll will have someone video my launch and show how easy this is to do.
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtop View Post
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to change the brake settings.
Stock it came with the brake on.
Yea I was most worried about the brake being on as well...However It doesn't seem to be any much of a problem...When the plane is coming in for landing, I'm totally off the power just glides in, rather quickly lol, but anyhow if the prop is vertical I just bump the throttle and watch the prop to get it away from dead vertical and more horizontal. But still doesn't seem to be an issue. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:00 AM
Joined Feb 2013
43 Posts
So I just got this bird.. and trying to install a ntm 2700kv 28mm motor..with xbmotor mount....

My issue is the mount..the mount is not long enough to reach the holes in the plastic... Where can I find a mount that lines up with the holes in the firewall..

Thanks so much...have everything I need I wanna fly!
rghol5212 is offline Find More Posts by rghol5212
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Look at page 8-9 I think I have it all listed
I see that you fabricated your own metal motor mount. Do you believe the metal motor mount required for your 6S setup?
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06