HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:08 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roonytoon View Post
WOW! I haven't been to this page in quite a while and it's nice to see some familiar names. Hi Paul! I haven't flown all winter but the nice weather ( well not today it's f'ing freezing out today) has given me the bug to get out there and fly again.
Hi Steve nice to hear from you.
I havn't flown much too because of our crazy weather.
Now with all the water I don't think my Beach area flying site will be open soon.

Paul
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:09 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 Posts
I have been having difficulty flying all of my planes as well as getting to maiden others due to lack of flying weather, family, health, etc.
So I have decided to thin the fleet. Not sure which yet but most likely since I have 2 Beavers one I fly and another brand new in the box it is most likely to be thinned from the herd as well as some others that have never been built.
I will let those here know first when I do.

Ed
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:25 PM
United States, MN, Hopkins
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Hi Cubcrazy, say you know it has always bothered me for sometime of how your Beaver flew compared to mine. Betsy flies exactly the same at power settings except more agile do to not caring floats about. I'm thinking you have the FW109 motor in it for is slighly smaller and appears the same for the Beaver and FW share the same motor mount. Beaver #3 is all receiped on the parts not Orcal covered hopefully will be getting it off the dinning room table soon.

I flew Maggie Mae yesterday before the wind/rain and snow started here in Minneapolis, MN which it is now! Mother Nature is surely ticked off and Father Time! I then went up with Betsy and flew her about 2 blocks away and both fly identical except for speed Betsy trimmed is one little rocket, but landings with power on both are slow and ya can hit the spot, mind ya I now have over 100 hrs between the both Beavers. For those that don't know my set up that was disscussed earlier is a 2200 power 14 min flight time and that IS A LONG TIME! MAC 11x6x3 props sanded and balanced after painting and decals. Both planes have the flying surfaces trimmed of excess foam between the corrigations.

I found something so far for those interested in painting. I ground the foam as I refer to it with 150 dry sandpaper. I first cleaned the fuselage with acetone, dawn soap scrubbed with light brush. Reason for semi-destroying the foam smooth surface was for adhession. I then used Paul's receipe three coats 1 full day drying between each coat. Boy, is it rough, then sand with 400 gray and we are talking smooth! Now, why do I say no tape pull up is I installed the windscreen with R/C Canope glue and blue taped 1 inch wide over the full screen to hold tight. I pulled the tape off and NO PULL OFF of the receipe. I let ya all how the paint does over the receipe. This is all on Beaver #3. Bill
Whitieford is offline Find More Posts by Whitieford
Last edited by Whitieford; Apr 16, 2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
AMA# finditwhenigethome
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
1,341 Posts
hey... i got a spare float set, but no motor, other than a edf motor, so does anyone think an airboat rescue boat would work with a 64mm edf motor and fan, without shroud, or could i put like a small prop on it? 3500kv, 64mm edf.
Ghjghj96 is offline Find More Posts by Ghjghj96
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: plasti-dip plasti-damage!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
Beaver #3 prepared for Krylon primer with Fusion and Paint

I've attached a couple of photos of the fuselage, door cut out and everything is readied for Krylon Camoflage with Fusion and Paint. Snowed last night 6 inches and Betsy is now switched out to her Bush Wheels. I attached the windscreen with R/C Canopy glue and all is masked and readied for Tuesday here will be 70 degrees so hopefully no wind/dust in the air.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Apr 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDeltaTango View Post
Now for the record. This is the thrust angle of a crashing aircraft. Looks like I'll need some advice from those of you who haven't tweaked a mount yet.
Andy

Attachment 6686315

Attachment 6686316
Yep looks like what happened to mine. I didn't bother with bending it back so I ordered a replacement mount. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I'll update how it goes. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZGY
renegade85 is offline Find More Posts by renegade85
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:19 PM
Love To Fly
United States, TN, Dandridge
Joined Mar 2013
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
Don't know if its how I have mine set up but I get more power with take off and general flying so naturally its what I will keep on using.
Got my props MAS 11x6x3 and 11x7x3 had to order another spinner for the 11x7x3 but i love the 11x6x3 so far lots of take off power and great fly times thanks for the input will let you know about the 7 when i get the new spinner
MAMBA2200 is offline Find More Posts by MAMBA2200
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:48 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade85 View Post
Yep looks like what happened to mine. I didn't bother with bending it back so I ordered a replacement mount. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I'll update how it goes. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZGY
Mine has actually broken the foam behind the base of the firewall allowing it to move backward. I think my mount is tweaked but can probably be bent back.
AlphaDeltaTango is online now Find More Posts by AlphaDeltaTango
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
290 Posts
AlphaDelta Tango - I assisted a friend in fixing his mount and he still managed to wrap the plane around a tree that jumped out in front of him. He is now flying a Sky Baby and loves it. Anyway, what I did was first repair the wood mount with a couple of button head bolts and just plain washers and nuts then before tightening the bolts used gap fill slow Zap Glue and very liberally squeezed with a tube extender into the delamination then snugged up. I then mixed up 10 minute 2 part epoxy. First on the lower portion that moved back into the fuselage and let set off while holding back into position. I then set the plane on its side and first Zap Glued Gap Fill slow bending the extension tube and even though ya can't see just squirt some about, note ya will probably get some on your fingers so wear gloves and that is why the slow so you don't get stuck! Insure you keep the fuselage on its side, then do the same to the overside. Now, mix up some more epoxy and lay on side and fill the SMUSHED foam area from the firewall pushing back let set off on the one side then do the same on the opposite side. After all this put a bead of Zap all the was around the mount to re-insure adhession of it to the plane. Oh, when he wrapped the plane on its last flight into the tree the motor mount and fuselage nose were one piece for this time the battery door up to the side cockpit windows and top hatch seperated. Good luck on your fix and keep her flying!!! Bill
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:39 AM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 Posts
Well I finally had some good weather and got some flying in.
Unfortunately I dumb thumbed my Beaver in on landing when a crosswind gust caught it.

The damage consisted of the normal bending of the gear on hard landings, the wings popped out about 1/2" on both sides, ejected the top hatch and battery hatch just like burst panels on a "Funny Car", broke the cowl on the bottom, and severely bent the motor down.

When I got it home the wings popped back in with no problem once I loosened the struts and flap control rods on the servo. The gear bent right back in place. The cowl will be an easy fix as it is a straight break on the bottom front to to back.
Even though the motor mount seemed severe the only thing wrong was the metal mount was bent quite a bit but no damage anywhere else to the motor or wood mount on the fuselage.

The mount took a little time to bend it back in shape with my vise but it seems to be alright now.
The only thing I noticed was that the down and right thrust angle seems to be built into the metal part of the mount (bent part) and not on the fire wall or wood portion of the mount. Is that true?

So basically it looked worse than it actually was. Wheeww,, I dodged a bullet.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:24 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitieford View Post
AlphaDelta Tango - I assisted a friend in fixing his mount and he still managed to wrap the plane around a tree that jumped out in front of him. He is now flying a Sky Baby and loves it. Anyway, what I did was first repair the wood mount with a couple of button head bolts and just plain washers and nuts then before tightening the bolts used gap fill slow Zap Glue and very liberally squeezed with a tube extender into the delamination then snugged up. I then mixed up 10 minute 2 part epoxy. First on the lower portion that moved back into the fuselage and let set off while holding back into position. I then set the plane on its side and first Zap Glued Gap Fill slow bending the extension tube and even though ya can't see just squirt some about, note ya will probably get some on your fingers so wear gloves and that is why the slow so you don't get stuck! Insure you keep the fuselage on its side, then do the same to the overside. Now, mix up some more epoxy and lay on side and fill the SMUSHED foam area from the firewall pushing back let set off on the one side then do the same on the opposite side. After all this put a bead of Zap all the was around the mount to re-insure adhession of it to the plane. Oh, when he wrapped the plane on its last flight into the tree the motor mount and fuselage nose were one piece for this time the battery door up to the side cockpit windows and top hatch seperated. Good luck on your fix and keep her flying!!! Bill
Thanks for the tip... I was considering adding a new piece of ply inside the recess in the front of the fuse... it would bring the motor forward about 1/4 inch. Might have to extend the cowl (mount and tape it further out). What do you think?
Andy
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by race58 View Post
Well I finally had some good weather and got some flying in.
Unfortunately I dumb thumbed my Beaver in on landing when a crosswind gust caught it.

The damage consisted of the normal bending of the gear on hard landings, the wings popped out about 1/2" on both sides, ejected the top hatch and battery hatch just like burst panels on a "Funny Car", broke the cowl on the bottom, and severely bent the motor down.

When I got it home the wings popped back in with no problem once I loosened the struts and flap control rods on the servo. The gear bent right back in place. The cowl will be an easy fix as it is a straight break on the bottom front to to back.
Even though the motor mount seemed severe the only thing wrong was the metal mount was bent quite a bit but no damage anywhere else to the motor or wood mount on the fuselage.

The mount took a little time to bend it back in shape with my vise but it seems to be alright now.
The only thing I noticed was that the down and right thrust angle seems to be built into the metal part of the mount (bent part) and not on the fire wall or wood portion of the mount. Is that true?

So basically it looked worse than it actually was. Wheeww,, I dodged a bullet.
They never really seem so bad once you get into it. One tip mentioned on the forum was to tape the carbon rods together with electrical tape under the top hatch. This keeps the wings in.
Andy
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:20 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 Posts
Thanks Andy,, Good tip. I will do that now as I still have it open.
Any thoughts on the down and right built into the metal mount?

Ed
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2014
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by race58 View Post
Thanks Andy,, Good tip. I will do that now as I still have it open.
Any thoughts on the down and right built into the metal mount?
I have the Beaver, but haven't wrecked it yet, or had the cowl off to check the mounts. It doesn't matter how the thrust angles are built in. It can be the firewall, engine mount, additional washers, etc. The idea is to have the rear portion of the motor, offset from centerline, and have the spinner centered.
L.A. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:45 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 Posts
I understand that but this is the first one I've encountered (not that there aren't more just haven't noticed before) that seems to have it built into the metal mount where others I have flown have it built into the firewall.