Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
The Spanish connection:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ng-ring_261622
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
More doping scandal fallout, after 17 years sponsoring bike racing team sponsor Rabobank decides to pull out of the sport because of the bad press:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ontinue_261940
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
The solution for phone privacy
United States, OK
Joined Aug 2003
1,531 Posts
Usta, at 36 in Pro Cycling... it's time to retire.

I don't take the old guys seriously, I was running like a freight train until 38... When I started noticing I was slowing down no matter how much I worked on it. The 22-24 year olds were starting to get brutal.

The sweet spot is 28 to 36, old enough to know where you have to be and not so old you can't cut it. Seems most pros run that way too.

Eddy Merckx had the good sense to retire a winner.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
Nothing new to report today.

His sponsor Oakley finally dropped him after everyone else has.

Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins taken away, and there will be no official winner listed for those races. He now has a lifetime ban from cycling too.

Which brings up a new lawsuit against Lance. He won $7.5 million in bonus money be winning the Tour De France several times. After the book LA Confidential came out talking about the possibility of him doping the company paying the bonus tried to get out of it by saying that he doped during those races. Lance sued them, and gave testimony under oath that he didn't dope. The company lost the lawsuit because doping wasn't a stipulation in the contract, only winning the races. He's now offcially NOT the winner anymore, so the company is suing him for the money back. It could get interesting because he lied under oath.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ctories_262306
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post

Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins taken away, and there will be no official winner listed for those races. He now has a lifetime ban from cycling too.

Which brings up a new lawsuit against Lance. He won $7.5 million in bonus money be winning the Tour De France several times. After the book LA Confidential came out talking about the possibility of him doping the company paying the bonus tried to get out of it by saying that he doped during those races. Lance sued them, and gave testimony under oath that he didn't dope. The company lost the lawsuit because doping wasn't a stipulation in the contract, only winning the races. He's now offcially NOT the winner anymore, so the company is suing him for the money back. It could get interesting because he lied under oath.

I doubt they could win since he never admitted anything. I think he quit when he did to save his money.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
The hypocrisy of the sponsors is appaling. It was common knowledge that he was doping and they were supporting him when he was still a "hero" but come the demise and they are running away as if he had the plague.

If I were American, I would be pretty angry at Lance for the damage he's done to the reputation of my country. Greg Lemond came to race in Europe and left a very good image of Americans' cyclists, then came Lance who destroyed Greg's good work within a couple of years. He was so arrogant and it was so obvious that he was cheating that people lost interest in the tour de France. Whenever a paper was daring to speak up he was just adding to the offense by replying that he was clean but the journalist was writing this out of anti-Americanism.
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
The people I feel sorry for are the cancer survivors. They treated him like he was The New Messiah, and followed him around to the races like the Tour De France cheering him on. Now they have a doper as a hero.

The sad thing is is that those people totally have blinders on to what Lance is really like as a person, and they can only see that he started Livestrong. They don't care that he cheated, they don't care that he took money away from non-cheaters through his doping, they don't care that he destroyed people's live and careers, and they don't care that he lied and used intimidation and threats of lawsuits to cover up all his years of doping.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
The hypocrisy of the sponsors is appaling. It was common knowledge that he was doping and they were supporting him when he was still a "hero" but come the demise and they are running away as if he had the plague.

If I were American, I would be pretty angry at Lance for the damage he's done to the reputation of my country. Greg Lemond came to race in Europe and left a very good image of Americans' cyclists, then came Lance who destroyed Greg's good work within a couple of years. He was so arrogant and it was so obvious that he was cheating that people lost interest in the tour de France. Whenever a paper was daring to speak up he was just adding to the offense by replying that he was clean but the journalist was writing this out of anti-Americanism.
Cycling and arrogance. Two things that France should always dominate America in.
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Joined Feb 2005
1,847 Posts
Sport is not sport when there's money involved

'Professional' sport - that's an oxymoron
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Cycling and arrogance. Two things that France should always dominate America in.
No French cyclist has won the tour since 1985.

For arrogance I reckon itīs a close contest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Sport is not sport when there's money involved

'Professional' sport - that's an oxymoron
Music to my ears!
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I agree there should be consequences but if the money is going to needed causes that help people why should they have to suffer because lance cheated riding a bicycle?
They shouldn't suffer... But they probably will, even though Lance has stepped aside for for now.

Just add this to the list of why deceiving people is bad... Innocent people become victims.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post

Yup, I can't wait to see how specifically, plays out.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post

Yup, so true... I think Lance and Trek owe Greg LeMond a bicycle company. That whole situation is just horrible now that Trek has even dropped Lance.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
I just got back from France. They were good people.

Have you ever been there?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
More on the SCA lawsuit against Lance:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...sEnabled=false