HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Question
Help!

Where in the United States can I get this? Proctors supplier went out of business and he can no longer get it. The 1/4 scale airplane I'm building next uses flat cables. I'd rather cut it to size and make this if someone makes something simular to this size and material.

Any help would be appreciated. So far I spent 2 hours looking on the internet, and I got responses from 3 steel manufaturers stating that they couldn't make it for me.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,745 Posts
At one time, Nelson's Hobby Specialties carried flying wires. You may want to browse their site, to see if they still do.

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/index.php
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:31 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
I found it- FINALLY!

I wrote to http://www.mcmaster.com/# and sent them the email with picture what I was looking for, and they have it! Exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is they have so much in selection I was lost at their website, so I sent them a email and they found it for me. Product #9075K51

I think Abu talked about the place before when someone asked if scale wires really made the difference in scale competition many moons ago, so I checked them out. I'm glad I did, and I sent a email to Proctors incase he wanted to resupply it for his site.

Thank heavens I found it. Now I can make scale flat bracing wire that many planes had during WWI and Golden Age.

Pete
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,745 Posts
Pete

I'm glad that you found them.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:54 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
There IS also Hans Gautschi's place in Switzerland...

Dear Fellow RC Scale Lovers:

The PIPE Here...thank you VERY MUCH for finding that McMaster-Carr's got something, at http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3661/=ggj6d2 , that we CAN use for flat rigging wire...seems that they've only got 1/8th inch wide wire currently, so for any of us needing the 1/16th or 3/32nd wide wire from Proctor, we'll have to GRIND DOWN the wider 1/8th inch stuff in the future, as Proctor doesn't even seem to have the narrower widths I've mentioned in stock any longer, either... !!

Now, if one wanted to go "all the way" for flat rigging wires on a project, there IS Hans Gautschi's website at http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wires/index.html in Switzerland. One thing that's quite DAUNTING about his pre-made wires are the PRICES, which are all in Swiss francs, and with the current echange rate of 1 Swiss franc = $1.11 USD, one WOULD have to save up to get those flat rigging wires pre-made up for a Scale project...!!

I MIGHT have some of the 1/16th wide Proctor flat rigging cable stored away for a future project, but since most of my future scale projects that only exist as CAD plans so far on my hard disk...including a 1/4th scale S.E. 5a, for V-twin Laser four-stroke power...will be Giant Scalers for four stroke mills, I could save up for each one and get the wires for those made up by Mr. Gautschi, or get the McMaster-Carr stuff instead...

...just too busy with my college courses these days, as I've been away from work for just about 3-1/2 years, and my upcoming college degree (graduating in June 2012) is about the ONLY hope I've got for gettin' back to work!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I didnt know flat wires were used. Why would that be as opposed to round cross sections... less drag?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
1,968 Posts
http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...es/p2bipe.html

About 1/3 the way down, under the fork end soldering tutorial.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
I didnt know flat wires were used. Why would that be as opposed to round cross sections... less drag?
Many used the flat style cables because it was much stronger than the average cable, and it could be adjusted.

The Gee Bee Z is a good example.

Many have built WWI and Golden age aircraft scale models and the first thing they forget, or don't know is not all cables they used for their scale R/C aircraft was the standard round cables.

I'm one of those people that can deal with the scale being a little off, matter in fact as a kit and ARF "Basher" I tend to be on the "Liberal" side of building. But as I want to improve my building skill and want to become more accurate, those little details I left out before start making a difference.

Me as a scale guy, once I know about something about the full sized aircraft I'm trying to duplicate, what I know now tends to be a curse. It starts to drive me crazy to know this or that had flat cables and I used the round ones instead, or there was a strut in a real aircraft and the ARF or kit directions told me to use a wire etc.

I know, if I keep writing like this, someones going to send me to therapy on a short bus with pads.

I like Mick Reeves and wouldn't hesitate to order his kits or parts. I've written to him and he's a very nice man. The only reason why (other than political reasons) I was looking for a place in the United States is because shipping can cost a fortune!

By the time I make the cables myself, I cut the cost down by almost half- because I'm not ordering it from over the pond. Joe at Proctors makes his own stuff, and his products are very good. He needs to redesign some of his prop hubs though. But that's a different topic.

Pete
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,270 Posts

Absolutely. A round cross section is the absolute WORST shape you can use. Even things like control surface gaps (where air flows through); trailing edges, where air can form eddy currents; are "ideally" razor sharp, or absolutely square cut, so that there is a definite seperation point for air flow. The difference between what should be, and what we do, are the practical aspects of being able to achieve what should be, and the fact that the air molecules to not scale, so the effects are not the same.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
Thermalin was looking for flex exhaust tubing...Mick's got THAT, too!

Dear Oberst:

The PIPE Here again...earlier this morning Thermalin, at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606669 was looking for metallic flexible exhaust tubing for four-stroke exhaust plumbing needs...

...and at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...69&postcount=4 in that thread, I let Thermalin know that Mick's got THAT, too...!

The Brits have ALWAYS been great with RC Scale aircraft...and Mick DOES seem to have some very USEFUL accessories for us on "this side of the pond".

By the way, Mick DOES use PayPal for online ordering...as that's how I paid for some of that stainless steel flexible exhaust tubing myself not too long ago, as I was getting some for future needs.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,548 Posts
Oberst...I'm with you....I'm not crazy-scale,but once you find out something,it'll aggravate the heck out of you,til you can do it correctly....I made flying wires one winter for a Christen Eagle 1/3 scale model.I laid down a 3/32"wire between two1/16" wires and flowed solder over all.

Ground and sanded for months,to get a 'yeah looks great' when it was shown. Couldn't get 'em to sing like full scale tho'
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member