Nice looking!!!
Old-Time New boat!
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,819 Posts
To encourage older boats and home building, they ought to offer two additional trophies at the Nationals for ..... 1) first to finish boat BUILT & SAILED by owner, and also ... 2) first to finish all wooden boat (hull/deck/spars.

Need some encouragement for home builders to spend time, money and effort to build and race their homebuilt boats. Just a thought.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
To encourage older boats and home building, they ought to offer two additional trophies at the Nationals for ..... 1) first to finish boat BUILT & SAILED by owner, and also ... 2) first to finish all wooden boat (hull/deck/spars.

Need some encouragement for home builders to spend time, money and effort to build and race their homebuilt boats. Just a thought.
The Star 45 class has done this.... offering an award to the most finely-crafted build.

Our problem in the M-Class is different. It seems as though we can't settle on even having a Nationals. After that's established, maybe then we can add in extra specialty trophies.

To encourage home-built boats, I've offered one of my moulds free to use by my local club. Skilled craftsmen can use them, Who wouldn't want a boat for the price of materials. The mould is a relitively current design and would be really quick atleast where I sail.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2006
548 Posts
As breakwater said, the star 45 offers a trophy for the best craftsmanship (Julie Ayres) and the Fisher Mainwaring award for the best finish of a owner built and sailed boat. Note that one boat has won the NCR and both of the other awards. That means you can build a competitive good looking boat in that class. But we are talking about a one design class, not a development class. The first thing the M class needs is boats sailing.
I think it has run into the same challenge that most one design classes face, everyone wants a $500 boat that sails at the front of the fleet. You might be able to get a $500 M, but it probably is not going to be at the front of the fleet at a national. People also dont want to have to buy a new one every 2 to 5 years as development occurs. just look at all the variations of M we have that freeze the class at a particular point in the development curve.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
I have a Sterne boat and want to change the angle of the bulb relative to the fin/waterline but I have no idea how the bulb is attached to the fin. Mine is painted and I can't see how it is attached. I understand that the bulb is two pieces but I can't even see the parting line.

Any help would be appreciated.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
I have a Sterne boat and want to change the angle of the bulb relative to the fin/waterline but I have no idea how the bulb is attached to the fin. Mine is painted and I can't see how it is attached. I understand that the bulb is two pieces but I can't even see the parting line.

Any help would be appreciated.
Which Sterne boat is it?

Most of Sterne's bulbs were attached with a nail that runs vertically from the bottom of the bulb up into the keel. The position of this nail is also, if I'm not mistaken the CG

All of my keels (I have three of them) are also painted in some sort of hard epoxy type paint, so the seams of the 2-piece lead, and nail are smoothly covered.
Except, I banged the lead on one enough to expose the nail.

I think at some point I asked Sterne about that as well.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
417 Posts
It's an Orbit.

I'll sand some paint off the bottom of the bulb and let you know what I find.

Edit: It had two pins running thru it from the side.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
This boat.. #2 is For-Sale in my area.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
It's an Orbit.
Edit: It had two pins running thru it from the side.
Haven't seen that before.

Then again, I haven't seen an Orbit.
Photo us please!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Simple Marblehead "Breakback" Swing-Rig Instructions from Chuck Black if they are helpful to anyone.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
ooooh Here's a cool one.

The Swede Johnson Hotdog!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Black's R/C Model Boats on Over!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,193 Posts
Marblehead Design pushed to the MAX!

(oh, and then revised to MAX2)
Last edited by breakwater; Dec 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I don't know if the Max is proprietary or not, and I respect the creators work...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
ooooh Here's a cool one.

The Swede Johnson Hotdog!
The hot dog is a quite good performer today in the light air. They are really light ~ 8 lbs or so. I had many good battles with a swing rig version with my viper +. They dont point well enough to hang with a skalpel in the heavier air like in SD.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577