HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
FWIW Dept.

I re-powered my Mosa1 not wanting to chase an intermittent wire any longer.
Changed out the old Turnigy 2826 1300kv 9050 prop, about 190W.
With a Turnigy 2830 1100kv 1060 prop, about 220W.

It flew great before but now flys awesome. Bigger is better
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Oh no !

Mosa 1 runs down & passes a P-51 at W O T.

cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:32 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Mosa 1 runs down & passes a P-51 at W O T.

LOL... My P-51 didn't last long enough to see how fast it was.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:08 PM
old grump
nj
Joined Dec 2009
52 Posts
gws decals

I have many gws kits and the last four have all had bad decals,or what ever you call them. The paper backing rips off,and it's not posable to use them.They must have been laying around for years,and years. Other than that they are a good value. Right now i'm bulding the F4U. Most were bought from HEADSUP. THE OLD GRUMP
old grump is offline Find More Posts by old grump
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
I very rarely use the GWS Decals anyway, except on my Formosa. I prefer to think of a plain white airframe as a 'blank canvas' to add my own decals too.
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:47 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,412 Posts
That turnigy 2830 is a great motor. I have one on my Me-163, and it screams. I just bought a Guanli Me-109Z, or as they call it, Me-109T, or a twin Me-109. It is my understanding that it was modeled after the GWS Me-109. Anyone here know anything about this model? I have found two threads, but it seems not many are around?--------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:53 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
That turnigy 2830 is a great motor. I have one on my Me-163, and it screams. I just bought a Guanli Me-109Z, or as they call it, Me-109T, or a twin Me-109. It is my understanding that it was modeled after the GWS Me-109. Anyone here know anything about this model? I have found two threads, but it seems not many are around?--------Metalguy
Small world, I just bought one of these this past weekend at an auction, $30 out the door for the RTF. I'm dumping the receiver/transmitter, but for now I'm going to fly it as-is otherwise (2 brushed, geared motors).

So far it's been a pain to assemble. There isn't enough room in the slot in the wing for all the wires that need to run from one fuselage to the other (motor, servos), so I've been fiddling with those to try and make it more visually appealing.

Also, the hinges that come installed are horrible. They are flexible tubing that looks like it was molded-in with the EPS. I've pulled those all out and am installing proper hinges.

I should have it up and running next week, as I'm out for this weekend.

Thanks,
Don
dmccalmon is offline Find More Posts by dmccalmon
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
The fun is in improving a scale looking plane. Enjoy.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
all had bad decals,or what ever you call them
Old Grump. Your decals SHOULD be fine since this one from HeadsUp has not been sitting around the shop too long; they sell way too many of them plus the EPO Corsair is relatively new.

I love the EPO Corsair but my complaint is a susceptibility to wing flex that has left mine with too much dihedral.
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Suprise

I just weighed my P-51 painted with enough Behr latex Army Camoflage green.

Only picked up 1 oz when dried for 2 weeks. Suprised me.

Still 1 gallon left after doing 10 airplanes with it.

Guess I need more planes ?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,412 Posts
Don, I have mine about built, and I totally agree with you on the hinges.... Tubing, really? Weird. I plan on small seroless retracts, and I plan on covering the airframe in silkspan before I fly it. This foam seems way more brittle than GWS. I like the concept, just not liking the really bad foam. I will be using two brushless motors, and start with a 2200 lipo pack. I will only put on one set of retracts, unlike the original airplane, as I feel they would have ended up doing that anyway. I'll print out my own decals, too, as the super-shin ones that came with it are not my cup of tea. I just hope it flies well. Should be a unique one too take to the field, for sure.---------Metalguy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2011
100 Posts
Ran into 2 issues.

1. Missing one bolt for securing the fuselages to the wing. A trip to the LHS fixed that
2. Popped out one of the blind nuts on the fuselage, need to epoxy it back.

Other than that, she's ready to fly. I may get her airborne this weekend.

Good luck with yours.
dmccalmon is offline Find More Posts by dmccalmon
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
My Formosa-II is ready for re-maiden following its crash. Maybe Thursday morning? Foam repair was near-perfect. Fuselage decals were trashed... haven't re-done that yet, gotta scrounge and see if there's an old set around, or maybe I'll work something up with stick-on material or a paintbrush.

Motor, electronics and servos were unharmed. I'll be using a different receiver, though, this time a knock-off AR-6200. AUW is still an alarming 40 oz., which makes for 15.6 oz/sq.ft. loading. Sucker needs to move fast.

UPDATE: It flew great. Three flights, no mishaps. 10x10 prop, 3S/2200 battery. Looks good in the air. Will look better after I fix up the fuselage decorations. Happy to have a Big Mosa back in my fleet.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Last edited by rafe_b; Nov 20, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,412 Posts
I have to get a mount for one of the motors on mine as yet. I have the servos in, but still have to route the wires for the battery to the ESC's, and am waiting for the retracts, too.--------Metalguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Attention GWS P-51 owners!!

Can you post a pic of the airfoil. EPS or EPO (I believe they are the same molds). I am interested in a pic of the wingtips and most importantly the bottom side at the wing root. Does this model have a curvature on the underside towards the trailing edge like the Spit & Corsair?

Your help would be most appreciated!!
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash