HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
So, like I said I'd re-do my charger setup while waiting the the O130 to get here. I'll strap the other Cellpro 4S down on the lid when it gets back home from college or I'll spring for a Multi4 and let my kid keep the 4S.

A few pics....

Jeff
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,634 Posts
Contrary to Turnerm, I find it easier to scale land on really windy days. I feel like landing with some speed in the wind is safer and simpler. I love harrier landing but prefer scale landings in the wind.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfab View Post
So, like I said I'd re-do my charger setup while waiting the the O130 to get here. I'll strap the other Cellpro 4S down on the lid when it gets back home from college or I'll spring for a Multi4 and let my kid keep the 4S.

A few pics....

Jeff
That is a sweet box. Did you build the box inside?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,003 Posts
haha, I see you are using the epbuddy batteries. so do I...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
Yep,

Got some 1/4" MDF and made the box. Used some trim strips to nest the charger.

I found I can run 3 of the 4S chargers off that 300 watt P.S. charging 3s batts.

Jeff
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
I got the flight case from something we bought at work and were throwing the case away.
NOoooooo!!!

Jeff
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
And I did this while waiting for the motor (mortor) for my Edge so I hope I'm still on topic.

Jeff
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Contrary to Turnerm, I find it easier to scale land on really windy days. I feel like landing with some speed in the wind is safer and simpler. I love harrier landing but prefer scale landings in the wind.
It's easy to scale land if your runway happens to point right into the wind. If not then you can harrier into the wind and land on a spot regardless of which way the wind is blowing.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
So just in case you were wondering how the day went.. I was the only one (nuts enough?) at the field which is rare for a Sunday. It was funny, I was getting calls saying "your are not flying are you?" If you guys didn't motivate me, I probably wouldn't have. The winds were at 20 to 29 mph. A new high wind record for me.
You will be disappointed to know I didn't fly the Edge. However, I am happy I didn't. I realized/concluded that "landing in [high wind] is a maneuver" which requires practice much like anything else (sound familiar? ). I guess we are spoiled down here as this is only the 2nd or 3rd high wind flying day this year so you could say we are not used to it. Today though was much less than a blur than yesterday. I went through 9 packs specifically to practice landings. I thought I would have to dart it in, and in fact it was the opposite (3D-ish?). It required very careful management of the throttle and a lot more attention/concentration. I left the field much more comfortable. Knowing how much better the Edge flies than the Mosa II, I can totally see now how it is doable (especially if wind is a normal occurrence for you). Turns out flying in wind like that can actually be fun such as when the Plane take off after 2 feet vertically up... It is scary tough when on final approach the wind bounces the Plane 10 feet up and down.
Fly low, [and in high wind..]
That a boy! You will never get better or confident at this hobby if you don't push a little. Always good to have a "practice" airframe around for those questionable days. Mine is the Tech One 1100 (43") Yak 54. It's a lot of fun and as you found out you usually have a field to yourself. If your plane is even moderately 3 D capable (and if the wind is strong enough it doesn't have to be) then just Harrier down final, high nose attitude controlling sink with throttle. As you found out there is no need to maintain ground speed. The airplane flies in the relative wind- if no wind airspeed is 20 mph on final, with a 20 mph headwind the airplane doesn't know the difference. Resulting ground speed is zero, hence vertical final to 0 feet ground rollout. Just plan any downwind and crosswind flying ahead of time to compensate for the drift. Once into the wind you can do your entire routine in one spot! Keep practicing. Watch out at the field if a few people are up at the same time as you and a gust front comes in, they will want you to land all their planes! Have fun, fly low and slow. Well done.
dth7 is online now Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It's easy to scale land if your runway happens to point right into the wind. If not then you can harrier into the wind and land on a spot regardless of which way the wind is blowing.
This is true and something I had kind of forgotten to consider when I posted the above. So I will qualify my statement by saying that I prefer a scale landing... but not if the direction of the wind in wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I like it better, but I guess I'm kinda biased..
Attachment 5023978
I like it!!!whats the landing gear off of and wing tips were did u get them?
teddy5085 is online now Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:57 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,178 Posts
The gear is from the 47 SHP, the SFG's are just homemade pieces of ply.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
well i forgot to get a spinner for my plane, I see it takes a 40mm or 1.5" ? I see a lot of 2" out there but not a lot of 1.5" or am I just not looken in the right spots ? also can u put a 2" on it ?? can someone shed some light on this for me i could really use some help p.s I really like the way a carbon spinner looks with a wood prop but not even sure if this is an option ? thanks for any fb
teddy5085 is online now Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, NJ, Millville
Joined Oct 2003
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
well i forgot to get a spinner for my plane, I see it takes a 40mm or 1.5" ? I see a lot of 2" out there but not a lot of 1.5" or am I just not looken in the right spots ? also can u put a 2" on it ?? can someone shed some light on this for me i could really use some help p.s I really like the way a carbon spinner looks with a wood prop but not even sure if this is an option ? thanks for any fb
I found these hard to find as well. I bought a DuBro, I think, but the prop holes were too small and modifying it proved unsuccessful. The Extreme Flight 1-1/2" spinner works really well. I had a 2" on it at first, doesn't quite look as good but will work. 3DHS sells them as well as Extreme Flight although I am not sure 3DHS has this size in stock.
rborn is online now Find More Posts by rborn
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,875 Posts
Great planes has a nice little aluminum back spinner, but it has a translucent front....no biggie...in fact I like it like that...if you don't, you can spray the inside, and it gets a nice deep black color to it.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...