Closed Thread
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:13 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Awesome! That's just what I needed. It's a bit smaller than I expected really.

What about the diameter of the lens itself, the rear part that fits the magnet. Is it any larger than 13mm?
On the rear part of the lens there is a thin ring (diam. 13mm) similar to the one you see on the cameara front. Next is cylindrical diam. 14.5mm / length 2.5mm - then diam. 16mm / length 3mm. Maximum diam. front of lens is 20mm / total length of lens is 16mm.
Hope you are able to fit the lens on both your cameras! I like to put it on my planes as it makes the movements look smoother because of the wider angle of view. It is not GoPro quality, but at least you don't have the irritating GoPro bending horizon..

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
FWIW, I have asked my camera contact if they can eliminate the 20 min. stop/save/continue function altogether, and they have confirmed it is possible, just as was done on some of the old 808 cameras. If there is enough interest, I think they would implement this for us. I thought most users would rather not have the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording, as long as the camera will properly close and save a file when the flash card fills up. But perhaps I guessed wrong? I don't want to fill up this thread with many posts that agree with my hunch, so if you violently disagree with me, please post your objection. I'll assume all others who read this and don't reply would like the camera to continuously record without stopping until the memory card is full.
Tom, I don't violently disagree with you, but I see BIG danger lurking. I agree that having one file is more convenient than having many file parts. However, I have big doubts if this is safely possible. Mov files are containers for files and folders, i.e. data is not only appended, but the header data must also be continuously updated. And exactly here lies the problem. If something unexpected happens (battery/power gets disconnected, firmware bug, etc.) and the camera is in the process of writing the header data, then the one and only big file will become totally unreadable and corrupted. When the header data gets updated, the following data will most probably need to be "shifted" to make space for the new header data. Shifting up to 32GB (max. capacity) while still recording is, IMO, just not possible with such a processor. To a minor extent, the same danger also exists while writing the FAT, but there are many tools available to recover files from a corrupted FAT. After all, the FAT is only a pointer.

Despite the small inconvenience, I would much prefer to have some intact files than none at all. If I am recording 6+ hours of continuous video and then, because of power loss or whatever, the recording fails, I don't want to be left with a heap of scrap. Give me file parts any day!
I may have underestimated the manufacturers, but truth is that you should never put all your eggs (files) in one basket - and never touch a running system... NEVER
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:29 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
On the rear part of the lens there is a thin ring (diam. 13mm) similar to the one you see on the cameara front. Next is cylindrical diam. 14.5mm / length 2.5mm - then diam. 16mm / length 3mm. Maximum diam. front of lens is 20mm / total length of lens is 16mm.
Hope you are able to fit the lens on both your cameras! I like to put it on my planes as it makes the movements look smoother because of the wider angle of view. It is not GoPro quality, but at least you don't have the irritating GoPro bending horizon..

/Jan
Excellent info! That helps me out a ton! Now I can get my other camera out and see just how well it will fit. Thanks!
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:35 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Isoprop makes some valid points... I can very easily overlook the close and continue feature. It's a few simple clicks (or even just a drag and drop) to splice them back during editing. It would be a lot more frustration to loose the entire recording though...
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:17 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,251 Posts
I vote close and continue too for file reliability and recovery reasons
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:46 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Hi guys,
I joined the club and finally got a HD from Diana (hxelepro360)
He removed the time stamp for me but the file creation date is a year off.
How is this corrected?

Never mind I found it as I was supposed to! I'm really glad I found the thread before I purchased the HD. The fob thread is and was most informing. I'm stoaked how this thread took off and is still climbing! PC Galaxy(ebay) has 4gig class 6 micro sd cards for 7.5 bucks, 12 bucks from TW in 5 days. The HD cam only took 8days, now if Hobby King could get their act together like the others!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 11, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,138 Posts
I just got an email from internet-shop365 that my camera shipped today. When I ordered it last week they were out of stock, which would have been nice to know prior to ordering. They sent me an email to say they would be getting them in on the 10th, which they did, so no harm no foul. Can't wait to start messing with it.

Doug
djdavid60 is online now Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:21 AM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
I'm looking forward to buy this camera, since I have the #7.
Has anyone seen some discounts on these HD ones ?
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerClown View Post
I'm looking forward to buy this camera, since I have the #7.
Has anyone seen some discounts on these HD ones ?
If you click on my Avatar, you'll find links. There's one that Tom hasn't listed yet, but I can't confirm it's good. It was a little cheaper ($0.10), but now is about the same. I click every day because sometimes they have sales, but seems shorter supply now is keeping prices up.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Tom,
Very obvious differences between the 2 before and after enhanced videos.
Which of the 2 you think is closer to natural colour?
I've tried using the free AviDumux to stabilise one of my videos but It didn't turn out very good.
Are you using the premium AviDemux?
The clip on the left with the more vivid colors over states what things really look like here. Some like this, but I prefer the colors to more reflect reality, like the clip on the right side. But again, your monitor settings may not show the colors like mine does, so the one on the right may look wash out and pale. I use the Media Center version of W7 which comes with a utility for tweaking monitor settings so blacks look black without obscuring detail, whites look white without washing out detail, colors are natural and not over/under saturated.

I'm using the freeware AviDemux available for download on Sourceforge.net, and other mirrors. I didn't know there was premium version quite honestly... is it shareware? Downloadable?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,598 Posts
Thanks for those who provided feedback on the close/continue recording function. Valid points. I'm not a .MOV fan to begin with, so never dug into it's file structure. But it seems strange that it does not leave enough room for updating it's header without shifting the entire data space if files get large. Oh well... don't want to get into that any further.

I got feedback from my vendor "camera guy" that they can modify the camera firmware for continuous recording if there is a demand for it. He also made ta similar case (having something rather than nothing) against doing it.

Since we already have a pair of firmware patches that toggle the date on/off while keeping the close/continue ON I asked if they can provide a new pair of firmware files that toggle the date on/off while keeping the close/continue function OFF. That way a user can pick his preferred flavor, and toggle back if his taste changes Something for every one!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
If you click on my Avatar, you'll find links. There's one that Tom hasn't listed yet, but I can't confirm it's good. It was a little cheaper ($0.10), but now is about the same. I click every day because sometimes they have sales, but seems shorter supply now is keeping prices up.
My vendor "camera guy" (a.k.a. power-gps on eBay) said he had 8 eBay stores, and thanked me for naming the four I did in the first part of this thread. So, right now it may not make any difference which eBay store is selling them... could all be the same "source". And I didn't try to find other eBay vendors to see if they were also in the same "source clan". This might become more important if that "USA exclusive reseller" deal that he mentioned to me becomes fact and they stop selling on eBay to USA shipping addresses.

The email link I provided to order direct from him is the only source of possible discounts I know of that don't appear and disappear in the blink of an eye.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,230 Posts
Tom - no sweat, we are all in this together! I saved my links to my "blog page" for my own convenience, they link direct to the cams not the the store, which then would require further search. Just easier for me to quick scan for prices, but requires updating which I might not do.

I don't know if my 5th vendor is one of the 8. Anyway keep up the good work!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
What does this mean? What is a bad public atom? I had some short test clips on the SD and thought they were erased, is why the vid is number 8. Its the second part of a test run attempting to see what the thing could do on the brim of my hat (hat cam) the second part works as do the other test clips. the first part that will not work is 1.58 GB (1,705,705,472 bytes

Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie (PTDC0008.MOV)

thanks
Tom J
PS: there times when this thing will connect quickly on my PC and other times the my computer just doesn't see it for a few min. Also this is when I first plug it in after using it, the red charge light is on. Perhaps it won't read until it has charged some?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Last edited by ApexAero; Jan 11, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
I get an annoying "cracking" sound on the recording only when I have the car charger plugged in. Did anyone else experience this? I guess its not possible to remove it somehow, is it?

Heres a sample from a 2 hour test vid (filled my Kingston 8GB).

Cracking sound (0 min 26 sec)
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Closed Thread