HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I flew the Wildcat after painting when the sky was overcast. It was mostly a dark plane in the sky unless I banked and could see the yellow on the wings. I took it out today for its first flight with 3 blade prop. Sun was out and all the colors stood out. Really looked good. Could not tell any differant from 2 blade prop but I am not a speed flyer. I am use to flying WWI planes and on landing I bring them in close and chop power and they slow to a nice soft landing. I brought the Wildcat in, chopped power and watched it not loose speed and fly right on by. I added power for a waveoff and next time brought it in much lower for a fast landing. Now I am working on getting the old FW-190 going.
Yeah, I had to cut some red stripes and put on the bottom of my wing so I could see mine.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:36 AM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
anyone have an extra spar for this plane?
Nope - built too strong..LOL

Now if you want to put a EF25 and looking to do a buck fitty on the flat - then you may want some extra sparage.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:17 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
926 Posts
my dad nosed his in and cracked his...broke down and ordered one off ebay. thanks any way
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, MI, Saginaw
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
I crashed my wildcat. It was about 30 feet up, and I lost orientation, and basically flew it into the ground. nothing rally broke other then the plastic cowl and prop, so I thought. after replacing them and doing a good check over everything, I tried to fly it, and it basically no longer has enough power to fly.

Its hard to tell, if you just run it up, on the ground. but when i tried to take off, it basically just skipped down the field. This was at full throttle, with a full battery.

It hit pretty hard on the nose when I crashed. Do you think i should replace the motor? ESC? any other ideas? And If motor are there any cheaper replacements?
eric5989 is offline Find More Posts by eric5989
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:34 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,173 Posts
Your new prop might be on backwards.

Seriously.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, NJ, Gloucester Township
Joined Jan 2012
119 Posts
Sounds like possible motor/shaft damage to me. With the cowl off, check the motor especially the gap in the housing. That may give you a visual clue before you conduct a full mechanical inspection. Also don't forget to inspect your battery for damage as well, good luck!
Buzzcut2239 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzcut2239
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, MI, Saginaw
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Come on everyone knows it would have flown backwards if the prop was on backwards.

I used one of my other batteries that I know is good, and the shaft doesn't show any signs of being bent. I'll have to take it apart and check more throughly
eric5989 is offline Find More Posts by eric5989
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5989 View Post
Come on everyone knows it would have flown backwards if the prop was on backwards.
Funny cause in the old RC single channel days we would put the prop on backward so the motor pull was not as strong. Look at a prop, the angle is the same no mater which side is front, only the curve of the blade changes.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5989 View Post
Come on everyone knows it would have flown backwards if the prop was on backwards......
LOL

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605615

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Yeah, I had to cut some red stripes and put on the bottom of my wing so I could see mine.

Looks good with the red. Nice one.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Winter Flying

I know it's winter, and the weather has been quite nasty round here of late, but today, something strange happened!

The weather was great

But the flying field was like a marsh! Very wet and very muddy! Beautiful blue sky though, and no wind! Nice.

I decided not to risk one of my more technical, retract and flap fitted warbirds as there was no-one to hand launch anything for me, and the last time I tried it solo (hand launch) it cost me a prop, new spinner, bit of foam straightening!
Damn, but you can't get a grip on them anywhere to launch yourself!
And... I know if I tried to take off from the ground it would dig in, nose over and still cost me some bits for the front end!

So, Old faithfull was flung into the air - my trusty ol' PZ F4F Wildcat which is a breeze to self hand launch (easy to grab under the wing near the dummy wheels) and a blast to fly.... Ran a few batteries through it until the sun began to set....

Well, you can't waste an opportunity to fly can you boys??

Cheers
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
702 Posts
Well done redzed9..... I'm with you regarding the hand launch capabilities of the wildcat .....flies right out of your hand.....when conditions are marginal the wildcat is my go to model as well.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmlm View Post
Well done redzed9..... I'm with you regarding the hand launch capabilities of the wildcat .....flies right out of your hand.....when conditions are marginal the wildcat is my go to model as well.

Regards
Mike
Hey Mike,

Cheers for this, and yeah this plane makes nearly everybody look a pretty good pilot.

I know, we are all really great pilots..... ha ha

If anyone is tempted for their first "Warbird" then this is definitely the way to go.

Pretty cheap, easy to nail together, flys a treat, looks great in the air, stacks of power, fits nearly all cars without having to field strip everything off which must explain why everyone needs one of these.

And you don't need an expert ground crew to get it in the air, as you said, flies right out of your hand......
You only need something a little soft to crash into. Oooops, sorry, I mean somewhere nice to land it...

It even passed my bounce test once or twice, he he
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
anyone have an extra spar for this plane?
Yup Wildcat likes to go on by!
I think Horizon has the joiner tube.
It has been out of stock at times.
It would be a log at an archery shop, but may be.
a nicely grained hard wood dowl would be hard to beat.
Maple is great.
Orient the grain like the markings on an old base ball bat.
Wait one are woods bats still out there?
No idea how to break the Wildcat's spar!
May get power 10 up tomorrow!
Good luck! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2003
65 Posts
Mine will try to take me up with it if I don't let go fast enough. Our weather here in SW Louisiana has been awesome this week, bluebird skies and no wind. I can't charge the lipos fast enough.
butaford is offline Find More Posts by butaford