HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Latest SS build for the Astro 020 w/planetary

I am still trying to come up with a bullet proof SS to take the stress of the 40+oz of thrust the Astro puts out! This is the final result of this version. Wing is reinforced with 1" and 1/2" carbon tape Epoxied to underside of wing. I cut the web out and replaced it after the tape was installed and filled the center with scrap balsa and epoxy after the tape was applied so the tape is surrounded with epoxy in the center where the wings join! I also used brass dihedral tubes and then bent 6" pieces of heavy music wire and CAed and wrapped it to the tube. Plus the usual glued rods and tape wrap! The wing is very stiff and I will try maidening it tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I also reinforced the elevator with the 1/2" carbon ribbon! Anyone's input or ideas or opinions on what has been done is welcome! The AUW is 34.2oz which is almost the same as the last one! Here's some pics.... First is underside of wing. I had the rear 1/2" tape glued down before I noticed it was a little crooked! Oh well not the first screw up but it doesn't seem to affect the wing anyway!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Here is a closeup of the dihedral tube reinforcing.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Here is the reinforcing on the tail feathers
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Used a different motor support system and it seems very solid!
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:29 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Last pic is underside showing battery holder. I used velcro and rubber bands due to the weight of the 10 cell 1400AE pack! Landing gear is very heavy and is wrapped to the fuse. Fuse is reinforced from the front to about 3 inches back of the front wing support with hardwood epoxied inside fuse!
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:47 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Boomer,
Did you use CF rod to replace the fiberglass on the LE/TE....it's probably a little late for this monster you're building, but it worked really well for my RZ350 SS
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sierra aardvark
Boomer,
Did you use CF rod to replace the fiberglass on the LE/TE....it's probably a little late for this monster you're building, but it worked really well for my RZ350 SS
No I ran out of carbon rod so used the supplied fiberglas. However I have so much carbon under the wing I don't think it makes much difference. The tape I used is much heavier than the iron on I have used and is very stiff... about the thickness of a playing card! The only problem I had with it was getting it to conform to the fake cast in ribs and had to go over some of them and use thin CA after the 90 minute epoxy setup!
boomer
Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:01 AM
Mark Imbriaco
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2003
259 Posts
Boomer, you're a wild man, but we LIKE that about you! I can't wait to hear how this one self destr ... I mean, flies!

Good luck on the maiden!

-Mark
NeuronBasher is offline Find More Posts by NeuronBasher
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:06 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NeuronBasher
Boomer, you're a wild man, but we LIKE that about you! I can't wait to hear how this one self destr ... I mean, flies!

Good luck on the maiden!

-Mark
Well I do offer one up to the wind gods once in a while but this one has enough power and weight to take on the wind!
boomer