HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2003, 08:26 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Airwave sukhoi 3D question

Hi, after reading the threads on the airwave sukhoi I am impressed!! My question is can I use this thing as a park flyer? Most or the park flyers I see dont have half the performance or size. I am new to this electric stuff, I fly giant scale but I want to try a higher end 3D performer. Is this thing called an indoor model just because it can be flown in a gym and what are the drawbacks of flying it outdoors? Thanks a bunch!!!

POWER
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2003, 09:21 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
The only real drawback to outdoor flying with the SU-31 would be its very light wingloading, which means it won't like to fly on windy days. But, with such high power and huge control surfaces, you should have good control in mild winds, maybe even moderate winds, if you are up to it. Same argument goes for most all 'indoor' flyers. Light weight + light wingloading = lower tolerance for wind.
Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Apr 28, 2003, 12:12 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Judging by you description of your own experience I think you are probably the best placed person to decide if you would be happy flying it in the park.

Personally I wouldn't be happy flying anything of this size and power in my local park, I fly on my own and can't see/control the public around me, if I had a spotter it would be different. This decision is based on my own safety asessment others are different, the parkflyer forum has many aircraft with similar AUW and power setups.

I've seen the video's and it certainly performs well indoors but I wouldn't even consider it an indoor model here in the UK. Most venues restrict the weight and power to levels well below this.

Compared to your large scale models it will be harder to perform decent 3D and the wind will obviously play a much larger part but as a 3D parkflyer it is probably one of the best.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms