Find More Posts by willhappy
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
169 Posts
Discussion
whats a good program to do 3d printing and cnc milling

hi all
just looking to see if anyone can help.
Would like to know of a program that can 3d print for a newbe. I have used corel draw 12 (yes I know it old) but its all I had and now looking to learn how to do it properly, also the program has to be free or cheep. If anyone can help or just point me in the right direction.
will
willhappy is offline Find More Posts by willhappy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
420 Posts
Have a look at Onshape.com free to hobby users 3D CAD that will export STL files for 3D printing and IGS files for 3D CNC milling. You will of course need a program that will slice the STL file into layers and generate Gcode for the 3D printer and a CAM program that you use to do your machining operations for 3D milling
Sliceing program you can get for free. CAM program that will do 3D CNC milling do not come for free and good ones cost a fair amount of $.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old May 14, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
91 Posts
Take a look at PTC Creo Elements / Direct which is a free 3D CAD program that will export several formats including STL and DXF.

For a CAM program that will do 3D try Freemill which as the name implies is free. Another program is
CamBam which does a good job and reasonably priced at $149.00 price
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Old May 15, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by willhappy
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined May 2008
169 Posts
thanks guys
its just looking for something to keep my brain going while doing a crappy job, looking to try and get a better job and hopefully this could be something to kick start me off
will
willhappy is offline Find More Posts by willhappy
Old May 16, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by dpot
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
1,078 Posts
i use rhino4 for all my 3d cad cam and auto cad for 2D stuff mach3 or 4 to control the cnc and Repetier-Host for the 3Dprinter
Repetier-Host if free software
if you Google free rhino or acad or mach3 i hade a copy of mach4 for free the othr day to try you may get sum free software on occasion what part of Cornwell are you from i was originally from Devon
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old May 19, 2015, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by dmincin
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,430 Posts
Take a look at Autodesk Fusion 360. It is free for hobbyist and startup use.

In addition to allowing you to export .STL files for 3D printing it also has very good 2D and 3D CAM capabilities.
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old May 29, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by dpot
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
1,078 Posts
how about this for 3d printing
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot