Old Jan 14, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
Build Log
Soviet G-5 torpedo boat

Hello, scale boat forum.

Here is my attempt to build a 1:25 (or 1:24 – what’s the difference?) model of a Soviet WW II era G-5 torpedo boat. It may not have been the most successful torpedo boat, but it has interesting history, unique looks, and is not modeled very often.

One interesting thing about this boat is that it was designed by a plane designer. The work started in mid twenties by Tupolev design bureau. He was the guy responsible, among other things, for the plane that flew from Moscow to New York via North Pole, various Soviet bombers, and Tu-144 "Concordsky", which first flew before the Concord. Why he would do the boat, I do not know, most likely he could not say "no" to comrade Stalin, but boat he did do. Funny thing, he based the design on a float from a float plane. He also used the torpedo-launching set-up copied from WW I British torpedo boat. The result was one of the world's fastest torpedo boats. On the negative side, the torpedoes were difficult to aim, could not carry troops on a curved deck, and could not operate in stormy weather.
I am mostly a scale sail guy, but I have built my (small) share of powered vessels. I have a Seguin tug that I built from a half-finished hull I got on E-Bay. I also scrutch-built a twin motor small thing inspired by Springer tugs. I have never built a boat like this before, so I hope to get a lot of useful advice here.

I have a scan of a paper model of G-5. The scale is 1: 100, too small for RC. I traced the structure parts in Adobe Illustrator and scaled them 400%. This way, I would have a 1:25 model and (hopefully) big enough for motors, esc, batteries, and Rx. I brought the traced parts into SolidWorks and built a 3D model with parts of actual dimensions and thicknesses. This way I could figure out the structure and layout before making a single cut. It also allowed me to create outlines for laser cutting.

So, I had my parts cut. I dry-assembled the frame, and realized that the model will come out smaller than I expected. I knew, of course the length and the width of the boat I was planning, but I did not realize how slim it would be in real life. I should have made 1:16 or so. This way I could use 600 size motors, and RC the machine guns and torpedo launchers, and maybe even built working torpedoes. I was so disappointed, that the boat skeleton sat on a shelf in the garage for a couple of months. But every time I looked at it, I thought that it would be cool to get it to swim, and if I liked it enough I could enlarge my Solidworks model again, and make a bigger boat. And maybe I would learn a thing or two in a process.
yalex is offline Find More Posts by yalex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
By the way, I already need to ask for advise. I think I need to use brushless motors to save weight. Can you advise on an inexpensive ones that I can use in my boat with direct drive? And props too? The boat is 26 inches long and 5 inches wide in the widest point.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by augustus
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined May 2014
151 Posts
I know Nothing about this Boat...
But I'm definitely curious to see you progress...

-gus
augustus is online now Find More Posts by augustus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 6-8-2015 Update
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
The boat’s skeleton has acquired a slight cork-screw shape from sitting in an uncomfortable position in a garage exposed to rapid changes of temperature and humidity, and also to annoy me. When I decided to proceed with the build, I dealt with a cork-screw by inserting a number of equal height posts between a horizontal part of a frame and a building board. Instead of gluing or screwing the posts to the board, I used some rubber bands. The tension held the boat frame to the board very well, and allowed me to detach the boat any time I had an urge to do so.

The bottom is made of two parts with a step in between. The aft part is a single piece of 1/16 balsa. It might be too thin (in fact, I am sure it is), but I had enough of 1/16 balsa sheets for the whole boat, so that is what I used. The front part I planked using several pieces.

I glassed the bottom parts as soon as glued them onto the frame because the balsa was so flimsy and fragile. When the epoxy has hardened, I filled the low spots and faired the bottom.
Last edited by yalex; Jan 29, 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2014
151 Posts
I picked up some of these Motors/ESC's for a couple PT Boat Builds after reading the Following Thread...

Motors/ESC's:
http://www.rchotdeals.com/370-size-o...7-17-oz-plane/

Dumas Higgins PT Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post28846570

I may wind up running them in a Large Multi Motor build I have coming up as well...
Still waiting to build a Test Bed for Performance Teials...

-gus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 08:00 PM
Joined May 2014
151 Posts
Wow..!

It Does look like a Big Pontoon...
It should really Scoot across Calm Water though.

Keep up the Good Work...

-gus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
967 Posts
Interesting design, I've never seen this before and I'm looking forward to seeing it run !
I'm curious, the boat would be great for getting out to where a sub was spotted, but WWII subs were relatively slow movers under water and it does not appear this boat carries much in the way of anti-sub weaponry except for the two torpedos in the back. Was this boat used as support for larger destroyers and sub hunters?
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,924 Posts
Great subject . What part of L.A. do you hail from?

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
This boat was used very halfhazardly. The Soviet admirals had little in a way of strategy or tactics as far as this boat was concerned. It was very fast, but it used an obsolete way to deploy the torpedos. It could have been very useful to carry landing parties, but the troupes could not sit on a round surface of the deck. They could have been fitted with depth charges, but they probably were not. I have seen reports that they were fitted with Katyusha rocket launchers, though. The thing is, I think, that these boats were designed by the airplane people. They were talented engineers and could solve the stated problem, but they new nothing about the tasks their boats would need to accomplish. The order to design these torpedo boats was based on a successful attack on Soviet ships by British torpedo boats in 1919 or 20. The Soviet admirals thought that they could win naval battles using the same tactics and weapons, and did not envision anything else.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
I am in North Hollywood/ Sherman Oakes/ Van Nuys area
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
The cork-screw went away as soon as the bottom was done, so I felt safe to unhook my rubber bands. I planked or, rather, skinned the sides. I thought they would be tricky with all those curves, but most of the topside could have been done with a single sheet. The forward part was a little less simple, but still better than expected. I will have to fill and send there a little. Otherwise, very few places to worry about.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by Yevgeniy
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
Hi there,

Would be curious to see your progress. This is one of my favorite subjects although I do not dare to model it so far trying something less complex and smaller ))

Read the discussion about deployment of these boats. Their main problem was low seaworthyness as they could not operate in heavy sea due to their shape and also comparatively small area of operation. They were followed by much more effective D-3 torpedo boats. G-5s were used in numerous ways - torpedo attacks, carrying troops in torpedo compartment (probably with torpedoes unloaded), carrying mines, working on patrols, providing fire support to landing parties (yes with Katyushas and even smaller rocket launchers self-made by Soviet seamen) although they did not achieve really loud success. And yes - they were designed by famous Soviet aircraft engineer Tupolev (author of numerous Russian Tu- aircrafts) who used aircraft technology (actually G-5 shape reminds a pontoon or float of a flying boat) and even aircraft motors which were adapted to lower rounds per minute.
Yevgeniy is offline Find More Posts by Yevgeniy
Last edited by Yevgeniy; Jan 15, 2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yevgeniy View Post
Hi there,

Would be curious to see your progress. This is one of my favorite subjects although I do not dare to model it so far trying something less complex and smaller
I was very afraid of the shape. It does seem very complex. However, it turned out to be very simple. The only part that can not be done by a small child is the very front of the boat, which is not hard either, just calls for some attention. I was so worried about the front that I made some stingers (out of coffee stearers). That helped, but I could have done without them, especialy if I used thicker skinning material (maybe 1/8 balsa). The simplicity is actually not surprising. The originals were made of aircraft aluminum, so they had to use flat sheets for skinning too.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by yalex
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
154 Posts
By the way, I would not be surprized to learn that the designers "steared" some of the scarce and expansive aircraft aluminum allocated for boat design towards theis planes
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by daniel-colmar
Colmar FRANCE
Joined Jun 2010
55 Posts
Hello to all,
I like very much this hull, it denotes certain help in the drawing.
My fear to realize her in 1/15 they are the thousand of rivets.
How to give them a real aspect? I had thought of fine pins...
Very nice work
daniel-colmar is offline Find More Posts by daniel-colmar