SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by jwk72
Joined Jun 2012
129 Posts
Discussion
Need Help Please! Naza v2 motor/esc issues

I've been checking and re checking connections and pouring over various posts all after noon. I'm stumped. I'm trying to finish up my F450 w/ NAZA v2 (w/GPS), Eflite Park 480 (910kv) motors and Eflite 40 amp Pro esc's. Using a Dx8 and a AR8000. For the life of me I cannot get the motors to arm or work in "motor test" in Naza assistant. It will not detect the esc's. I've tried several different setups posted by members and have tried using my own tx program as well as Freechip's .spm files (from RC groups, they seem to have worked well for others). Nothing works. Everything powers up fine, just don't get that final arming tone from esc's. I've calibrated a few times, my sliders are green and control mode switch shows blue in all 3 positions. Running latest firmware and software and battery voltage is good. Any input would probably keep me from drinking too much tonight!

Right now I have things as follows:

T >>>> T
R >>>> R
A >>>> A
E >>>> E
U >>>> AUX1
X1 >>>> AUX3
X2 >>>> AUX2
X3 >>>> PMU
jwk72 is offline Find More Posts by jwk72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Appfan
Cowboy up...
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts
If you plug one of the motors directly into your receiver, will it arm then?

I'm in the process of moving from an Ardupilot (APM) FC to the Naza V2. On the APM, you had to remove the red (+) lead from the ESCs for the system to arm properly.

I'll defer to the more experienced folks here, but I'd try that first. On your lead red (+) from the receiver, you can pull out the lead from the connector. Very very carefully, use an x-acto to lift the small retainer tab and pull out the pin. Then try plugging back into the Naza FC. If that motor arms...then that's your fix. Rinse and repeat for your other ESCs.

Cheers!
Appfan is offline Find More Posts by Appfan
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by jwk72
Joined Jun 2012
129 Posts
Yep, tried removing the red lead and still nada. About ready to use this thing as a frisbee
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:29 AM
Find More Posts by kallend
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk72 View Post
I've been checking and re checking connections and pouring over various posts all after noon. I'm stumped. I'm trying to finish up my F450 w/ NAZA v2 (w/GPS), Eflite Park 480 (910kv) motors and Eflite 40 amp Pro esc's. Using a Dx8 and a AR8000. For the life of me I cannot get the motors to arm or work in "motor test" in Naza assistant. It will not detect the esc's.
NAZA doesn't "detect" ESCs. They respond to its outputs. It doesn't know if there's an ESC there or not.

You could plug a servo into one of the NAZA's outputs to see if it's sending any signals. Or if you have access to a DJI ESC you could try that.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:34 AM
Cowboy up...
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts
What brand ESCs do you have?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
According to the second line of his post he's using eflite motors and esc's
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:25 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
E-Flite esc's have Programmable Throttle Input range adjustment, have you tried adjusting it?

Just do it on one and see if it works, if it does then proceed with the others.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by jwk72
Joined Jun 2012
129 Posts
To the best of my knowledge these don't calibrate. You can program them but they don't calibrate... That was one of the first things I thought of. Hope I don't have to tear this thing apart to install new esc's...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
So I'm guessing from your response you did try the other throttle setting??

I'm also guessing you read and tried the following?

If you use 3rd party ESCs, please make sure the ESCs travel midpoint is at 1520us. DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it may lead aircraft to fly away or cause injury and damage. After connect ESCs to motors, calibrate all your ESCs one by one through the receiver directly before connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
Cowboy up...
Joined Apr 2006
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
According to the second line of his post he's using eflite motors and esc's
Awww, c'mon you know I just look at the pictures.

Good catch. Sorry jwk, you've now exceeded the limit of my knowledge. It looks like Freechip may be a bit more help.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by jwk72
Joined Jun 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
So I'm guessing from your response you did try the other throttle setting??

I'm also guessing you read and tried the following?

If you use 3rd party ESCs, please make sure the ESCs travel midpoint is at 1520us. DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it may lead aircraft to fly away or cause injury and damage. After connect ESCs to motors, calibrate all your ESCs one by one through the receiver directly before connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience.
I did not bother because the stock setting is 1200us-1800us. The other setting if memory serves is 800-1200. Thought I was making a "good" decision going with higher end esc's... Maybe not so much now!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
1.1–1.9 ms or 1.2–1.8 ms

I would try it before counting it out..
Old Oct 14, 2013, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by BobRCnut
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,704 Posts
One more (rare, but possible) cause: Some brands of ESC have a built-in 'lost signal detection' circuit, and the time it normally takes for the NAZA to go through its bootup sequence can be long enough for the ESC's 'no signal' circuit to trip. Are you hearing any beeps at all from the ESCs/motors when power is applied?
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRCnut View Post
<snip> Are you hearing any beeps at all from the ESCs/motors when power is applied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk72 View Post
<snip> Everything powers up fine, just don't get that final arming tone from esc's
Might be worth the time and effort to jsut try another possible brand of esc just to rule out any Naza possible related issue
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by jwk72
Joined Jun 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRCnut View Post
One more (rare, but possible) cause: Some brands of ESC have a built-in 'lost signal detection' circuit, and the time it normally takes for the NAZA to go through its bootup sequence can be long enough for the ESC's 'no signal' circuit to trip. Are you hearing any beeps at all from the ESCs/motors when power is applied?
Yes, I'm getting the initial tones and the 3 beeps for cell count then nothing. I tried reprogramming esc's to the other setting (1000us - 1900us) and nothing changed. I did find out with a GWS servo tester that the esc's arm at just over 900us. esc and motor arm fine on the tester. After tireless troubleshooting, reading of forum posts and talking with people I may be on to something. A co worker and I were looking at it this afternoon trying a few things. It seems there is some validity to what some people are reporting about having to make some kind of harness or switch to get power to the NAZA before the esc's (or was it visa versa... Can't remember my brain is mush). During some testing of this we did get everything to arm properly in what I think was naza getting signal prior to esc's.

Anyone know anything of this and what kind of harness or switch needs to be made? Where it would install? I know this worked but can't remember how. I tried to install a switch between the PMU and the X1 port but apparently the signal goes reverse from what I thought it did because the switch did the opposite by powering(signal) the naza second.

Thanks for the help!