SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Justwingit
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, TX, Fort Bliss
Joined Apr 2012
6,031 Posts
Simply magnificent Ken....absolutely mind-boggling attention to detail !!!

She's a stunning achievement, whether she flies or not....

But here's the simple truth: I have to agree with the folks at the field. In the video she looks as though she wants to fly....very light on the wheels. That big ole wing looked like it was generating a lot of lift, if only just taxiing around

Cheers my friend and I anxiously await the flight report
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by J Morgan
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
25,615 Posts
Absolutely beautiful and so authentic.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by Sperling234
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
Greetings Ken,

Well, I've avoided weighing in on this because one so quickly runs out of superlatives, it's hard to know where to begin.

This model, like all your others, is some of the very finest work people can do when they apply their talents and commitment. Words can't really describe how terrific it is. The low angle shots that essentially look like a real, full sized aircraft sum it all up.

To that end, I'm going to offer one small suggestion; have you considered rounding off the scimitar tips of your propellers to make them appear a bit more scale?
I have done that several times with both scimitar tip and squared off Master Airscrew props with no noticeable affect on performance. The effort is small but the scale appearance payoff is quite large, to my eye anyway. I find that the scimitar tips in particular, look quite "contemporary".

I only mention it due to you having come so very far with what can only be considered a "flying museum piece", far beyond my, or many readers skill or patience levels. The prop shaping might just give that last bit of convincing appearance, for a small effort.

Anyway, my congratulations on a truly exceptional effort. The work is inspirational and humbling. Well done.

Cheers,

Scott
Sperling234 is online now Find More Posts by Sperling234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Raiders Wing from Scratch
Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by heli_madken
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,313 Posts
Thanks Scott, I know what you mean they don't exactly look scale, I have left them as they are for now to get as much performance as I can but I think I will do as you say after I have completed the next maiden

Second video uploaded from yesterday once I had the tail wheel issue sorted, I don't think I ever got above 1/2 throttle so you can see the urge that she has

RC Avro Lancaster 1/10 Scale - Taxy Testing (2 min 49 sec)
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by eye4wings
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,632 Posts
That looks nice Ken - though the swing to the left looks worrying.
Personally I'd like to get that sorted out before getting into the air. It will only get worse at higher throttle settings and there will be quite enough to do on the climb out as it is!
Is there enough rudder trim to get a straight taxi - or throttle differential on the outers?

I wonder - has anyone successfully slaved rudders off throttle?

Sounds like you had a bit too much wind for a maiden flight up your way too!

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,245 Posts
Ken - that really does look superb! Almost too nice to fly.

Robin - swing to the left? Isn't that what the other thumb is for? Try flying a 'normal' heli and you'll soon find out how to use the rudder.

Philosophical question - just how many 'maiden flights' can a model have? If a ship has a maiden voyage, aren't all subsequent ones just voyages?
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by eye4wings
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,632 Posts
Yes Gordon! Getting old(er) I just don't relish knowing that I haven't already got on top of known traits before having to face unknown ones as well... Not so adventurous (or is that 'foolhardy'?) these days!

This lovely Lanc is now bombed up, armed and fuelled for its mission and has put on a fair bit of extra weight. Not too much to cope with I am sure but the extra flying speed will give less time to react if anything unexpected crops up.

I am paranoid enough about wing loading to think that perhaps a second 'maiden' flight may be justifiable if the wing loading changes significantly... but actually my use of the word was with the knowledge that I have to flight test my Caribou soon!

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by zbrubaker
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,416 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, what is the current AUW?

**EDIT***
Nevermind...I found it

I don't think you're going to have any issue. You've gone from a 45oz/sq.ft wingloading up to about 52oz/sq.ft. For a plane this size, it's pretty much an inconsequential increase.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
Last edited by zbrubaker; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Dmerino
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,823 Posts
Ken, where do I find the words. Everything I say will just be redundant.

I would have a hard time not believing it was the real thing if there was such a thing as smoke generators in the nacelles when you "fire" off the engines.

I concur with Scott, it is such a incredible museum piece.

Thanks for taking me on the "Ride" with you. You have the patience of Job and the skill of an artist.

Den
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,313 Posts
Thanks zbrubaker every little confidence booster helps, she really did feel like she wanted to fly on Sunday, in the video she looks quite small but its a massive wing over 3.1m in span with a huge root/chord

Den, Guys at the field said exactly the same thing wouldnt that be great, just a little puff of smoke would really set it off, dont tempt me

Sunday was the first time I actually fired up the motors at the same time as the sound system I think I can work on the start up and shut down sequence to get a better timing

I have had some advice back from the manufacturer around improving the volume which is great, hopefully will get some more ideas. The system uses transducers rather than speakersto cut down on weight and this is I think the first install in a glass fibre body so some experimentation to do, at the moment they are mounted on foam but I am going to try a direct connection to the glass fibre itself next

Dont worry about the left swing Robin, at some point I must have put the horn back on the tail wheel servo incorrectly, in the first video I couldnt turn right at all, I centred the tailwheel as best I could for the second video and you can even see me stop at one point whilst I used up the remaining sub trim to try and dial out the left swing but it was still there, easily corrected for the next attempt
Last edited by heli_madken; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by hack_1979
Australia
Joined Jul 2011
45 Posts
Ken

I've got the same Mr RC Sound system in the ASM Lanc. I bought the second amplifier and have 4 transducers in total. Two are in the bomb bay, and then one in each wing. They are all mounted on a 1in thick piece of foam that is glued directly to the inner skin of the fuse. I use a 4S Lipo to power the system.

Where are your transducers? Not sure how noisey mine will be in the air but its pretty noisey on the ground.
hack_1979 is offline Find More Posts by hack_1979
Old Today, 01:19 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,313 Posts
In the fuse itself two within the avionics bay up at the front and two further back within the fuse, did the amplifier make a difference?