Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by Longhorne
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,466 Posts
Build Log
30" Messerschmitt Me 109--early

Midway through our B25 build I got the itch to work up the next fighter in my lineup. I've always had a soft spot for the early 109's with their cleaner lines and squared off wings. It seems like there are tons of G's available in the kit market, but not to many of these early birds with the exception of the smaller Guillows kit. I've got alot of respect for the battle-hardened Gustavs but all those bulges just detract from the beauty underlying airframe for me. If that raises your ire, I'll politely point out that Adolf Galland felt pretty much the same.

After studying all the variants between A and Emil, I figured I could cover them all with one framework and two sets of chin and wing scoops. The general construction will be very similar to the Wildcat and the Ki84--stick and tissue type with a load of stringers and an AUW of ~8oz.

Here's a few shots to kick the thing off.

Paul
Longhorne is online now Find More Posts by Longhorne
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:30 AM
Find More Posts by bosley
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,200 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet. :d
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:56 AM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
I like !!!
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,806 Posts
Looking forward to this one Paul!
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by Prowler901
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Holy Smokes!!! Do you ever take a break?!

This should be fun

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,066 Posts
Paul,

Bring it on!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:56 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,466 Posts
Bosley lives! I've heard a rumor that you're going to follow this one up with a FW 190, right?

Todd--this is a break! Actually, Drew started to burn out on the B25 a few weeks ago. I figured out that leaning on him too hard would spoil the whole thing. Alternatively, getting a side project here smoothed things out alot. He's back on track now, though, so this one will proceed but its in the #2 spot for a little while.

So here are the solid models that I'll be working from. Again, the plan is to go with a common framework with two scoop sets.

Paul
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by Prowler901
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Well, then take a break anytime you want I like the models that you've chosen.

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by bosley
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,200 Posts
Yeah Paul I am still around.

I have the FW-190 coming along at a snails pace. Wing and tail feathers are done but I have been stalled out on the fuse. I am trying to get a solid of the fuse that I can use to slice up but I have been struggling to do so in Rhino. It certainly isn't teh programs fault, it is that I have not sat down and forced my self to learn the in's and out's of the thing yet.

I need to just buckle down and go for it as drawn, it has worked out in the past. But my goal with the 190 was to leasrn how to get the solid drawing first and then slice it up as needed.

At any rate the 25 and your 109 are looking top notch. I was a scared off of the 109 a little bit after seeing how tight the nose was on my Zero. The nose on the 109 is pretty skinny but it is a lot longer than the Zero. I will have to get on of these as well!!!

I will be watching intently, and trying to pick up what I can of you CAD work!!!

Jeff
bosley is offline Find More Posts by bosley
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,066 Posts
Paul,

Interestingly enough, the Guillow's 400 series kit is much closer to an A-D model than it is to an Emil. The palstic cowl definitely has the deep D model radiator, and the plan lacks any reference to wing-mounted rads. When I built mine, I built a new cowl to convert the Guillow's to an Emil.

Where did you find those fantastic 3-views? I'm committed to building a Hurricane for Funbuild 4, and would like to find a similar set to get the formers right.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by D-Rock
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,942 Posts
Great googly moogly Paul, you are cranking these out on a nearly monthly rate! Looking forward to seeing more. BTW what CAD program are you using?

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:51 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,466 Posts
Jeff, you're right that the nose looks tight, but I sure like that length. This one should be really easy to balance. I haven't used Rhino, but I feel your pain on the fuse. I spend alot more time on it than the rest of the project combined by a fair margin.

Heya Steve! This is a pretty good site but be careful--you may end up with 8 more projects before you know it: http://www.airwar.ru/other/drawe.html

and in particular: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/hurr_aik.html

D-Rock--I'm using SolidWorks. That one-a-month thing might be a little generous, though!

Well, here's some screenshots of how the design comes together.

Paul
Old Dec 05, 2010, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by shotibf109
I'm Hungarian in Essex. UK
Joined Sep 2008
412 Posts
Exelent idea!! I tuned in!!!
shotibf109 is offline Find More Posts by shotibf109
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:39 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,466 Posts
Thanks for that! I've been watching your Gustav. Nice work!

Here's the overall layout. Regarding spaciousness of the front end, I don't think that it will be that bad. The plan is to vac form the very front of the cowl and back this with a simple framework so that it can be removed. With the cowl and the battery hatch out of the way there should be plenty of access to the motor and such.

Paul
Last edited by Longhorne; Dec 06, 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:57 AM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Hi Paul ,

That is about the location of my battery for my old Bf109 . Looks as you enlarged the tail a bit ? ( which is good )
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost