HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
Well I've been flying my Minimag for some time, on floats and wheels, off grass, dirt, gravel, ice, water, and snow and have logged over 63 hours on my transmitters timer. I enjoy scale(ish) flying, and lots of touch and goes. Just depends on your flying style I guess. Not everybody can like the same things. Does that make a Minimag a 'dog'? I guess my '81 toyota 4x4 is a 'dog', but neither do I expect it to perform or handle like a Ferrari!

Happy Flying

[/IMG]
lledwod is offline Find More Posts by lledwod
Last edited by lledwod; Yesterday at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Best Pilots Use Simulators!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
I toned back down from 480 to a 370. Doesn't reall make that much of a difference. Kinda seems like the plane will only move so fast before the extra power causes more issues than it solves. .
Whilst I loved mine because it was the 1st plane I had for a long time without destroying and took me from complete novice to the stage with it that I was in control of the plane and not the other way round. I'd moved the CoG back, maxxed out the ailerons etc and could fly circles inverted all day and do just about every stunt the plane was capable of BUT ......... Having not flown it for years and gone onto 3 D balsa planes I thought I'd get the MM out, take some of the dihedral out, upgrade the motor (to 300 watts ) thought it'd be a blast to fly but as you say the power is way too much for it and makes it absolutely horrible to fly and it is all round a bit of a pig.
I wish I'd just remembered it with the fondness I had for it and not got it out again because I know I'll never fly it again which is a shame!!

I still think it's a good learners plane with a not toooooo powerful brushless but once you've outgrown it there's no going back, think there are other planes that would serve that purpose better.

Saw a learners plan fly recently that impressed the socks off of me, a wot 4 foamy, so precise and think it'd be a much better plane as your skills improve, so precise to fly and would make a great aerobat for some relaxed flying.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Joined Apr 2014
117 Posts
lledwod,
Do you recall the motor and prop you have there?
AELLC is online now Find More Posts by AELLC
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
The motor is a noname off ebay. Too bad I've forgot the Kv and there is no markings on it. The prop is an 8x4 gws. I'm more likely to fly it with a slowfly 8x6 or 9x6. They both work well with this motor. Its not too fast with either, but has lots of 'pull'. I think the motor might be a 1000kv.
lledwod is offline Find More Posts by lledwod
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2014
117 Posts
OK, I think I will go with about 1200kV-1400kV and a 7" prop. That should improve its flight characteristics a lot.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AELLC View Post
OK, I think I will go with about 1200kV-1400kV and a 7" prop. That should improve its flight characteristics a lot.
AELLC:

Your NIB ARF MiniMag has left the Central Massachusetts UPS hub @ 11:07 P.M. EST Friday .. it's on the road .. scheduled delivery is Friday, April 25.

Also emailed you a couple of photos and the tracking number .. Thanks, again ..

Have a good Easter,

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Today, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2014
117 Posts
Russ
Yep I saw all that in email. I will be on the lookout Apr 25, sneak the box into the garage, and hopefully my wife won't see another plane coming into the house
Old Today, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2014
117 Posts
lledwod,

That MM sure is good-looking, especially with the snow background. I see you used only a few of the stock decals and put them in the right places.

My old MM was also used for touch and go training, in ever-decreasing circuit patterns. Did that for hours. I enjoy beginner planes as much as my intermediates, it is just a different style of flying.

What did you use for the red?
Last edited by AELLC; Today at 08:11 AM.
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,448 Posts
JCMorgan , You are right that the MM is not a sport plane. Of course, no one said it was. You are obviously not going to get mid/low wing flat wing performance out of a high wing plane with dihedral. If that's what you want, this is indeed the wrong plane.

Calling it a "dog" goes a bit far (unless you are dyslexic ) As far as high wing trainers go, its a great flying plane. But if your point is that compared to to mid/low wing sport plane, the MM is a dog, well, you are right, but so what? its not trying to be a sport plane. Its a high wing cub, I don't recall seeing many of those at airshows...

As for adding ailerons turning it into a poor trainer, that's going too far as well. It still turns just fine with the rudder after adding ailerons, and still has just as much self righting tendency as without ailerons.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Today, 01:28 PM
Joined Apr 2014
117 Posts
You know, it just occurred to me - maybe the wing has an unusually bad adverse yaw condition during aileron turns. I will check that out after the build, and see if an aileron-rudder radio mix cures that.

I do recall that my original MM didn't seem to turn all that great, but I wouldn't call it a dog.

Jurgen Heilig, please help me here. LOL.
Old Today, 03:00 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
962 Posts
I'm not saying it is a sport plane. I'm simply saying that there is no sense in going to crazy with mods, as it's limits are reached very early on. Anything over a 370 isn't going to gain you much. Adding ailerons should help, but really doesn't. It is simply not a good 4ch trainer (and there are better 3ch trainers, too). The amount of differential needed is ridiculous. It's tendency to balloon up in turns is actually increased with a bigger motor/prop. Thought the weight of the 480 would help, but didn't. You can mod it into a good looking plane, however, if you are looking for thrilling excitement in flight, it's just not going to happen. Like I said, for the $50 I paid for it, it's a great lazy flier. Looks cool with the nav lights. Other than getting rid of the totally useless stock brushed motor, spending time and/or money into making it fly faster/better is a waste.
I've never flown with floats. Would be a good plane to play with that. Lose it in the lake, or from getting snow blinded, and it's only a $50 plane.
JCMorgan is online now Find More Posts by JCMorgan