HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:22 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
490 Posts
Discussion
2s batteries not getting fully charged PL6

I am sure this has been covered, but not finding using search function. So here goes.

Have a PL6 with feathermerchant 24v 47 amp PS. all my 2s batteries only get to 70 percent full (measure after charge by volt meter) using small balanced setting.

Very disappointing. the charger used to get me to 85% on 300mh 30c but no more.. stops at 70% ish . yes I am parallel charging sometimes up to 6 at a time.

I just picked up three new thundercat G8 2s 70c all 63% after a 1c charge in parallel. am I doing something wrong? do I need to multiple the rate by batteries and set in charger? if I plug in one battery and do a 1c it seems to charge up

All my 3s/4s batts seem to hit 98%+ when charge is done on the PL6 up to 3c in parallel - 4 at a time.

Thanks in advance
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by waytooslow; Sep 09, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:20 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,014 Posts
Can you post the cell voltages of the 2s packs after they have been charged (as reported by your voltmeter)? Is it a voltmeter or cell checker?
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
490 Posts
I ended up staying up late in to evening and charging one pack at a time. which brought them up to 97+ but will do a parallel charge and send results after I am done flying today. I can send both "checker" and VOM info.

when setting charge rates do you need to add all the amp rating together in Small balanced lipo preset? for instance 5 - 300mah 2s packs - all same brand, all same C charge rating. when I set charge rate do I select 300 mah? or do I need to multiple and set at 1500 (1.5)?

Thanks for the help
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden of Starmax F5 Tiger
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytooslow View Post
when setting charge rates do you need to add all the amp rating together in Small balanced lipo preset? for instance 5 - 300mah 2s packs - all same brand, all same C charge rating. when I set charge rate do I select 300 mah? or do I need to multiple and set at 1500 (1.5)?

Thanks for the help
Please do not use a percentage to describe a cell or pack's state of charge. Its good for general descriptions, but not for being precise.

For setting the charge rate you can either set the charge rate for all packs in parallel and tell the charger there is only one pack. What I prefer to do is set the charge for a single pack at the desired C rate. Then tell the charger how many packs are in parallel. The charger multiples charge rate for a single pack by the number of packs in parallel. This gives you averaged Mah and IR per pack on the display and is much easier when varying the numbers of packs in parallel from charge to charge.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project